Gamefishin.com banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody start using these blanks yet?
I'm thinking about building one this spring and like to hear your opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I have never fished with any, but have a few buddies that say these are as good or better then gloomis gl3s. I don't recall the rod numbers they are running, but they absoutly are loving the new northforks. Gary Loomis at it's best.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I built a North Fork 9'6" light action steelhead rod for the wife that I like. I used it this year alot free drifting eggs and tossing lite jigs and bobbers. I would definately recommend using them. The next rod I build will be a North fork 9'6" med action. I have built tons of Lamiglas,G-Loomis rods, and St Croix. Will NOT build Lamiglas anymore, not worth the time or money. Only blanks that I have ever broke on fish. North Fork is a great company with good customer service.

Jenx

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check out the Temple Fork Outfitter salmon rods at Sportsman's. They use those blanks and have Gary's name on them. They also have a lifetime warranty with a 48 garaunteed turn around after it arrives in their shop.

·
Registered
920 Posts
SteelyD said:
Check out the Temple Fork Outfitter salmon rods at Sportsman's. They use those blanks and have Gary's name on them. They also have a lifetime warranty with a 48 garaunteed turn around after it arrives in their shop.
I've got a TFO 9'6" 4-8 and I absolutely love it. It is an excellent summer run rod because it is so limber but I think for winter fish its a bit under powered for bigger rivers on the bank but out of a boat I think its great. Also as you mentioned that have a great warranty which is a huge plus for a 125$ rod! On a side note, I have been looking and checking out the North Fork blanks pretty heavily to find out which one I want to make a rod out of.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to build me a long pole. Was planning on a Sage a few years back but didn't have time.
Now they don't make them no more. But I think the NFC 12' is lighter than the Sage.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fishbadger said:
unsubstantiated interwebz rumor has it that sage gear rods and blanks are coming back,
fb
I waited for Sage over 10 years!
But I did built me a steelhead rod out of their 3 piece salt water fly series.
This rod is the best steelhead rod I ever held and it is awesome to pack in my backpack hiking into the thickest of the coastal rivers.
2012 is suppose to be the end of the world so I ain't waiting no more. I'm building me an NFC long pole.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I don't believe TFO uses North Fork Composites blanks. Gary Loomis help design that series of rods for TFO, but the blanks are made overseas. NFC blanks are made in Woodland. If you look at the NFC blank prices, they are more expensive then a finished TFO factory rod.
TFO offers a great value and excellent customer service. I've been happy with thier sticks I own.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just bought a 9'8 Homewater 6-10 light from fetha styx and it is as light as my imx, and I don't feel shy about using it on big winters in big water. Which cannot be said about my imx. I do believe that the homewater will be in the starting lineup this year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I waited for Sage over 10 years!
But I did built me a steelhead rod out of their 3 piece salt water fly series.
This rod is the best steelhead rod I ever held and it is awesome to pack in my backpack hiking into the thickest of the coastal rivers.
2012 is suppose to be the end of the world so I ain't waiting no more. I'm building me an NFC long pole.
I wish that was going to happen but its not. You can buy a sage gear blank and tie your own but thats as close as your going to get.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
SAGE Gear Rods/Blanks:
Sea-Run Fly & Tackle in Canada and Eagle Creek had a limited supply on hand last checked in Spring.

I spoke to the SAGE Marketing Director earlier and they have no plans of re-joining the gear market anytime soon. Of course "soon" could be tmrw or years down the road.

And back to the original thread...North Forks are very nice rods as field tested by my VERY picky user group. (as are Edge Rods by Gary)

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've got a TFO 9'6" 4-8 and I absolutely love it. It is an excellent summer run rod because it is so limber but I think for winter fish its a bit under powered for bigger rivers on the bank but out of a boat I think its great. Also as you mentioned that have a great warranty which is a huge plus for a 125$ rod! On a side note, I have been looking and checking out the North Fork blanks pretty heavily to find out which one I want to make a rod out of.
The tfo's are Chinese.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Most definitely that's why they're offered at a cheap price. Still a decent blank tho. Iv since moved on to loomis imx's and a rainshadow rx8 1141 nathan(nrs rods) spun up for me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I don't think Wayne and Diana make blank at their shop. But they build Edge rod's for Sportsmen's and there customers too. Very nice rod's ,but to pricey for me.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts