Gamefishin's Favorites Recipe Book!! | Page 13 | Gamefishin.com

Gamefishin's Favorites Recipe Book!!

Discussion in 'The Outdoor Chef! Great outdoor cooking' started by Duroboat, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. srchn4salmon

srchn4salmon Active Member

My Fried Chicken

With all the talk of fried chicken I thought I would post my recipe that I have sort of stollen and tweaked a bit to my liking.

1lbs of fresh chicken tenders
    2 Eggs
    1 Can of Evaporated Milk
    2-3 cups of flour
    ~4-5 TBsp of Lawrys
    ~1-2 TBsp of garlic salt
    ~1-2 TBsp of fresh ground pepper
    ~1 TBsp of salt
    -it can be a bit salty for some, so I tone it down a bit for company but the flour mixture is purely your taste.

I start with chicken tenders from albertsons, from the fresh meat section and get about a pound.
    Take 2 eggs, add just about a full can of evaporated milk and beat with a hand mixer in a medium size bowl.
    In a tupperware container I add the flour and all the salt/pepper mixture and shake it up until it is mixed evenly.
    Add the chicken to this mixture and coat it evenly and set aside.
    Add a few pieces of chicken a time to the egg/milk mixture and I let them soak for a few minutes if I can.
    Then one piece at a time I move the chicken from the egg/milk to the flour and roll it around and press the flour on to the piece so it is coated well.
    Take it out of the flour and set aside and repeat until you are ready to fry.

I use a deep fryer because I can control the temp but have done it on the stove top with a pot of oil and with a frying pan with oil as well.
    If you don't have a deep fryer but have a thermometer from your turkey fryer this will work as well, either way just shoot for about 360-365.
    The tenders fry for about 8-9 minutes at that temp and come out perfect, just on the right side of being done with a crispy outside.

I have tried many variations in search of the best combination to include using buttermilk instead of evap milk, conola oil vs veg oil, self rising flour vs all purpose and can't find any big difference with the results.

My wife likes a small variation, she has me make a buffalo sauce out of hot sauce and butter, very basic, and shake the tenders in that sauce.

Its a pretty basic recipe that you can add to or change to make it your own. I'll add pics just to see the process, or just the final product. Enjoy. Tup:
    Code 1231

2. HogLiner

HogLiner New Member

Barbequed/Grilled Salmon/Steelhead my special way...

So when I don't smoke my salmon or steelhead this is the only other way I prepare it. It is a super easy recipe and in my mind it is absolutely delicious. Ok...here we go, hopefully it is easy to follow; this is my first time posting a recipe and sorry for the general amounts of ingredients, I have never actually measured the quantity.
    Here are the majority of the ingredients:
    Fish-of course
    Coarse Sea Salt-or any kind of seasoning salt(like Johnny's or Lawry's)-season to taste
    Garlic Powder-A decent dusting
    Fresh cracked black pepper-A light dusting(not too much: nice and light....)
    (The secret Ingredient) Dill weed: fresh or dried-Use a light to moderate dusting of dill.
    Lemons-Cut into slices and place directly on fish and use the left over ends of the lemon to squeeze lemon juice on the fish.
    Yellow Onions-Cut into rings having a medium thickness and spread all over the fish. (I like a lot of onions, but its a preference thing. I like to make sure some onions are on the the tinfoil as well because they get cooked a bit more and are more caramelized.)
    Butter: Salted or Unsalted-Cut butter into chunks and place a good amount on the fish and, also, place a few on the tinfoil so it melts and the fish cooks cook in that wonderful liquid.... clap:

First thing you need to do is make what I like to call a "tinfoil boat" to set your fish in. I like to fold all four corners and make them have a lip about an inch or so tall. You just want it to be high enough to hold in all those yummy juices and keep them from draining all over the bbq. Preheat the barbeque on high and once you get the tinfoil folded up the way you want it, take the fish and place it-skin side down-in the tinfoil boat. Season the fish first with the salt, garlic powder, pepper, and dill weed. Then place the lemons onto the fish followed by the onions and, finally, the butter. Place on the hot bbq and let the magic begin. If you have thicker pieces of fish turn the heat down to medium about 8 min into cooking so the butter doesn't burn to badly. Cook the fish until it is done(it tends to start to get a flaky quality). Take off the bbq and enjoy with your favorite sides and an ice cold beer, or.....maybe milk....haha. Enjoy and let me know if something is confusing or you have any specific questions. Ya 'all Enjoy It!!!!

Code 1234

3. fishinfoolz

fishinfoolz Active Member

Surprise recipe for Salmon

A surprise recipe for Coho.

After decades of eating fish just about ever way possible I tried something new with a Coho last night. Tup: Here it is;

Fillet fish and pull pin bones so fillets are completely bone free. Skin fillet and dispose of skin. Slice into square steaks so all you have is skinless, boneless, fish fillets.

Mix in a bowl;

1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce
    2tbsp A-1 Steak Sauce
    Fresh Rosemary
    Fresh Thyme
    2tbsp fresh chopped Garlic
    1 cup Beer (your choice)

In a separate bowl mix 2 cups flour, 1tsp salt, 1tsp pepper to coat fillets later.

Layer fillets in bowl being careful to assure full coverage. Let soak in marinade for 1-2 hours. Remove from bowl and gently coat with seasoned flour. Fry in pan for approximately 3-5 minutes on medium high then flip for another 3-5 minutes or until golden brown.

It was awesome. Tup:

Code 1234

4. Duroboat

Duroboat Moderator Staff Member

Braised Beef Roast by sirfishalotz

Braised Beef Roast by sirfishalotz

This is my Favorite beef roast recipe. It pretty much kicks butt!!

Braising is the best way to cook tough cuts of meat from the parts of a cow that got a workout when the cow was walking around like the shoulder or the rump. These cuts have more connective tissue. Connective tissues consist mainly of collagen, which is tough to chew if not cooked right. Braising allows the meat and the connective tissue to slowly get to a certain heat where the connective tissue turns into a gelatin that is absorbed by the rest of the meat. Voila! The meat is tender. Braising demands some liquid, which not only helps cook the meat, but becomes the flavorful base for the sauce or gravy you'll need to make to serve with the braised meat.

* 2- 2 ½ pounds beef chuck roast (bone in or boneless), rump roast or shoulder roast
    * 1 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon pepper
    * 3 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
    * 3 cloves garlic
    * 1 large onion, thinly sliced
    * 1 cup beef broth
    * ½ cup red wine
    * 2 bay leaves
    * 1 teaspoon thyme
    * 1 pound baby carrots
    * 2 pounds potatoes cut into one-inch pieces

1. Heat oven to 325°F.
    2. Heat two tablespoons of oil on medium high heat in an oven-proof covered pot large enough to hold the roast and vegetables. A Dutch oven works well. (That's a big, heavy pot with a lid.)
    3. Season the roast with the salt and pepper.
    4. Brown the roast in the pot for about 5-7 minutes on each side making sure it is well browned.
    5. When roast is browned, take it out of the pot and set on a cutting board.
    6. Reduce the heat to medium low, add another tablespoon of oil to the pan and brown the onions for about 10 minutes.
    7. Pour in the wine and stir it around, scraping up and dissolving the brown bits left over from the browning.
    8. Add the garlic, the bay leaves and thyme.
    9. Return the roast to the pot.
    10. Add enough beef stock so you have about 2-3 inches of liquid in the pot.
    11. Bring to simmer on the top of the stove.
    12. Put the lid on the pot and put in the oven.
    13. Cook for 2 ½ hours. About every 30 minutes or so, baste the meat with the cooking juices adding more beef broth if necessary.
    14. Add the carrots and potatoes and cook for another 30 minutes until the potatoes are fork tender. The meat will be at least 165°F if not more.
    15. Remove the roast to a cutting board and remove the potatoes and carrots with a slotted spoon. Keep the meat and vegetables warm.
    16. Add more beef broth to the pan juices if needed and thicken with two tablespoons of flour dissolved in a half-cup water.
    17. Slice the meat and put on a platter surrounded by the vegetables.
    18. Serve the gravy on the side.

Code 1233

5. Slammin8er

Slammin8er Member

Peppered Smoked Salmon

Peppered Smoked Salmon

For best results bonk, bleed the fish and keep it cold.
    Filet fish leave skin on.
    Cut into large sections.

Brine:
    1 cup brown or regular sugar.
    1 cup salt.
    1 cup soy sauce.
    1 quart water.
    Make enough to cover the fish.
    I use gallon zip lock bags in a bowl in the refrigerator.
    Refrigerate overnight in brine.
    Kneading now and then.

Rinse off.
    Put on non-stick sprayed racks skin down, pepper and let stand about 30 minutes or until glassed.

Smoke for three or four pans of chips. I like alder chips as they produce a more mild smoke smell in the oven.
    Pull the racks from the smoker and stick them in the oven on tin foil.
    Bake at 275 for an hour and a half or so. When the inside temperature of the thickest part of each piece reaches 140 degrees they are done but you may like them cooked more. Pull them out thinner pieces first as they reach the preferred doneness.

Code 1241

JR

6. FLOUNDER1

FLOUNDER1 Member

LIVER N ONIONS

Most will not try.
    Those that can and will.
    Shall understand.
    As an OKIE Offspring, I Can only describe certain cooking techniques.
    To some they may be foul.
    To me, they are FAMILY........

Here's how it goes.

1 tUB OF BEEF LIVER
    1 TO- 1 and a 1/2 cup sifted flour.
    Flour mixed with seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic salt.
    Fold flour/salt/seasonings together "DRY" in a Ziplock

Dredge 3 to 4 inche pieces of beef liver in Zip-lock thouroughly.

Separatley in a flat fry-pan.

Melt 2 Tbs of BUTTER.

Not Margerine, Lard, or foul tasting stuff. By God just plain ol BUTTER.

Peel an ONION then cross cut into 3" long strips.

Saute Onions in butter. To taste add BACO-BITS

Saute for 2-3 minutes pull off to cool.

Same for the LIVER, add to HOT pan with BUTTER/ BACON / and banzi.

Wait for sizzle, then flip.

Next in a small sauce-pan melt on Medium a small pat of butter.
    Drop Mustard, Collard, or Beet Greens into pan with 1/4 cup water and a lid to cover. Reduce heat to low and wait for the delicious LIVER DISH to take over.

Code 1233

7. phishisgroovin

phishisgroovin Member

BBQ Smoked Meatloaf.

One of my Newer favorites is Meatloaf prepared on the grill.

Prepare your meats as you would for the oven, just adding a mixture of Rib eye rub, roasted garlic pepper and diced up Bacon all mixed up in the meat.
    Wrap your bread pan with foil tightly, i did mine sloppy in the pics. You will smoke out the metal if you dont wrap it nicely and your wifey will get angry (DONT USE GLASS PANS!)

Mix Ketchup and Worchestershire sauce together to taste, adding some sesonings of you liking to the mix for the top coating of the hanburger mixture once its been in the Smoke for a couple hours. (this will be your own creation of a BBQ sauce)
    I like Hot smoking things in my pit at 225 to 300 degrees..

Smoke meat for two or three hours, Absolutely PERMIATE it with smoke (seriously) Open uncovered.
    Once you have enough smoke in the meat cover it, i use Foil for everything as i hate doing dishes lol!
    Cook it on the heat until the meat reaches 170 degrees in the center.
    Remove foil cover and slop the sauce all over the meat and place back in to cook the sauce into the meat.

Remove meat from grease and open cook it on the grill for a few minutes to remove as much grease as possible (do this carefully, meat will want to fall apart).
    I use Pellets wrapped in foil, mixture of apple, Hickory and some pear tree/cherry tree branches what have dried out.

Its absolutely mouth watering and makes the BEST sammiches the next day for Work!

Code 1233

Attached Files:

8. phishisgroovin

phishisgroovin Member

Phish's candied Yams & sweet potatos

Peel fresh bag of Yams (or 15 large yams/sweet potato's)

Dice into large 1" or bigger chunks.

Place into larger noodle boiling deep pan.

Bring water/yams to a Boil and reduce heat to medium, boil for 30 minutes until soft to the fork.

Drain Water and let cool completely to room temp, (overnight in a cake pan in microwave works for me)

After cooling to room Temp, place Yams into a Nice table ready oven-able dish, and do the following.

Mix in a bowl

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup Brown sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp ground Cinnamon

Sprinkle mixed contents onto yams then shuffle yams around and sprinkle more onto them.

NOW: get one lemon and One Orange out of the fridge, with your cheesgrater in hand. Grate the lemon peel into the pan directly onto the yams (scrape excess remains on grater into dish) poke a hole into the lemon and squeeze a bit of the juice into the yams as well.

Do the same with the orange if desired, i just use the lemon.

Preheat oven to 350/400 degrees and place yams in oven for 15 minutes and remove dish from oven. Now if you like marshmellows, Generously cover the top of the yams with small mellows and place back into oven, Bake for another 10 minutes or until mellows are golden Brown.

Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes and serve (prepare for a completely different Candied yam like you have never tasted before - Enjoy!

--------------------------

I honestly always used Canned Yams. Never again !

Last year I had a few family members tell me they Hate yams, But Those are awsome ! then asked me if I used canned yams and I said no, I peeled and boiled them but dont have a recipie as I just tossed stuff into them.

Today I went into the kitchen and retraced my footsteps and posted the directions here so I have them for the holidays.

I can tell you, you will Absolutely LOVE these prepared this way.

That Lemon gives an Awsome Twang of Zest to the Yams

Code 1238

Attached Files:

9. madcapmag

madcapmag Active Member

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza

Made a few for a superbowl party. Here's the recipe for a stand mixer. You can mix and knead by hand as well.

Dough:
    2c All-purpose flour
    1/2c Cornmeal
    1 1/8tsp yeast
    1 1/2tsp salt
    1tbsp sugar
    3/4c warm water
    1tbsp oil (olive, vegetable, or canola)

Toppings:
    7-8 slices of mozzarella cheese
    1/8c shredded Pecorino cheese
    8oz mild Italian sausage mix
    10oz crushed tomato (I used the pre-mix with basil and oregano)

Other stuff:
    Butter
    9" cake pan

Dough is enough for 2 pizzas. Toppings is enough for 1 pizza, so you can double.

Dissolve yeast and sugar into the warm water and let sit until it bubbles, about 5-10 min.

Add in the flour, cornmeal, and oil and mix with the dough hook until it forms a ball. Take out of the bowl and knead for 10 minutes. Reform into a ball, lightly coat with oil, put into a bowl and cover with plastic. Let it rise at room temp. until it doubles in size, roughly 2-3 hours.

Cut dough into 2 pieces. Roll into a circle, about 11 inches wide (1" wider on each side than the cake pan). Butter cake pan generously on the bottom and sides. Press the dough into the pan. Prick many times with a fork everywhere. Put into a 400 degree F oven for 3-4 minutes.

When you pull it out, the dough will have poofed. Press it back down on the bottom and sides. Don't worry if the dough goes higher than the sides of the pan.

Layer mozzarella on the bottom and stick back into the oven until the cheese is barely melted, about 3-4 minutes then take out.

Press the sausage into a patty roughly the size of the cake pan. Stick on top of the cheese. Put back into the oven for 10 minutes.

Take out the pan and mop up as much oil and water as you can. Pour in the crushed tomato until it is 1/8" from the top of the crust. Sprinkle on the pecorino. Put into oven for 40 minutes.

Take out and cool for 10 minutes. Cut and enjoy!

You can forgo the sausage for other toppings of your wishing.

Code 1238

10. Salmonslair

Salmonslair Member

Best Short ribs you'll ever eat...gauranteed

BRAISED SHORT RIBS

INGREDIENTS:

USDA CHOICE BONELESS BEEF SHORT RIBS (COSTCO) $2.75/lb. at Costco in Fife...

SMALL CAN OF TOMATO PASTE

¼ CUP GRANULATED BEEF BULLION

¼ CUP MINCED GARLIC

SEAR RIBS ON ALL SIDES

MIX TOMATO PASTE, BULLION, AND GARLIC IN A LARGE BOWL.

ROLL RIBS IN TOMATO PASTE TO COAT

LINE A PYREX BROWNIE PAN WITH HEAVY DUTY FOIL 18� WIDE

PLACE COATED RIBS IN MIDDLE OF FOIL

BRING SIDES AND ENDS OF FOIL TOGETHER TO MAKE AIR TIGHT “PACKAGE�

PLACE IN 200 DEGREE OVEN ALL NIGHT (8 HOURS)

IN THE MORNING PLACE IN REFRIGERATOR FOR 8 HOURS

WHEN READY TO SERVE, CUT COLD RIBS INTO INDIVIDUAL SERVINGS

MICROWAVE JUST TO HEAT

Code 1233

11. GigHarborShane

GigHarborShane Member

Smoked Salmon Recipe exchange.

Shane’s Not So Secret Mouth Watering Smoked Salmon / Steelhead Recipe

Salmon or Steelhead Fillets
    3 Cups Yoshita’s Gourmet Sauce
    1/2 Cups Non-Iodized Salt
    1 Cup Brown Sugar
    1 Cup White Sugar
    2 Cups Water

• Combine ingredients in bowl and stir until all dissolved.
    • Cut to the fillets into the sizes you want.
    • Place the Salmon or Steelhead fillets in containers that will allow the pieces to be completely covered.
    • Pour the brine over the fillets, filling the containers deep enough so that the fish is completely covered.
    • Put the fillets and brine into the refrigerator and allow to sit at least overnight.
    • Use Alder wood chips for your smoke.
    • Depending on thickness of filets this will take 4-8 hours in a Little Chief or Big Chief type smoker.
    This is your call depending on how moist or dry you want your salmon to be and how much fish you are smoking.
    • If you prefer a thicker “crust� on the fish sprinkle the fillets with brown sugar before smoking begins.
    • Personal preference…I like to change the chips in My Big Chief smoker every 1 ½ hours.

Everybody who has had smoked salmon or Steelhead from this recipe has really enjoyed the flavor…tweak these instructions and ingredients a bit to make it your own.
    ENJOY!!!

Code 1241

12. Trent

Trent Active Member

New Favorite Halibut Recipe!

[​IMG]

I tried frying some of my halibut last night using the following recipe.... it was gooooooooood!

Heat up about 3/4" deep garlic flavored olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat.
    Mix up 4 eggs in a bowl and put the halibut chunks in the eggs.
    Chop up a seperate bowl of half Ritz Crackers, half Honey Bunches Of Oats with Almonds.
    Add an entire cube of real butter to the oil.
    Roll the halibut chunks in the crackers and cereal and fry covered for about 2 minutes per side. Season as cooking with a touch of Weber Kick'N Chicken, Johnny's Seasoning Salt, and Garlic salt.

Code 1235

13. Guppy trainer

Guppy trainer New Member

beer battered salmon

Simplest beer battered salmon recipe i have used..

Krusteaz Tempura Battter mix 5 cups is a good start
    Beer.. cheap.. unless you want to make a statement with a good flavor. 3 cups
    Water.. just water. 4 cups
    mix well. really well

Seasoned Flour mix
    All purpose flour 4 cups
    Chef Paul Prudhommes Red fish Seasoning to taste start with a 1/2 cup mix well and adjust as you like it.

Heat Oil to 325 degrees. PLEASE REMEMBER OIL DOES BURN AND SO DO PEOPLE.. use a thermometer and caution!!!

Cut fish to 2-3 ounce strips.. dredge in your seasoned flour.. dredge in your well mixed beer batter... place the lower half of your fish strip in hot oil.. allow batter to cook slightly release.. DO NOT SPLASH OR TOSS FISH IN HOT OIL.. again, PLEASE REMEMBER OIL DOES BURN AND SO DO PEOPLE!!

Cook fish for about 3 minutes... remember good fish does not need to be turned into bad fish in this process.
    Serve hot and tasty.

for added flavor dimensions.. add honey or orange juice to beer batter. if you use juice. remove equal amount of water to juice.
    Add tempura mix for thicker batter, if its too thick thin with water.
    after cooking sprinkle with salt pepper or more Seasoning or come up with you own favorite seasoning.
    My favorite is fresh Cilantro, Toasted Cumin and mesquite smoked salt and pepper blend.

If you save the Salmon Skin you can fry it in your oil also, season it right when you pull it out and enjoy with a cold beer.

Code 1234

14. Duroboat

Crab Cakes from Donno

Crab Cakes

Here's one I found I really like. Stolen from Paula Dean of the Food network.

Ingredients
    • 1 pound crabmeat, picked free of shells
    • 1/3 cup crushed crackers (recommended: Ritz)
    • 3 green onions (green and white parts), finely chopped
    • 1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
    • 1/4 cup mayonnaise
    • 1 egg
    • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
    • 1/2 lemon, juiced
    • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 teaspoon salt
    • Dash cayenne pepper
    • Flour, for dusting
    • 1/2 cup peanut oil
    • Favorite dipping sauce, for serving
    Directions
    In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except for the flour and peanut oil. Shape into patties and dust with flour.
    Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, carefully place crab cakes, in batches, in pan and fry until browned, about 4 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip crab cakes and fry on other side until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Serve warm with preferred sauce.
    Code 1230

15. Duroboat

BBQ Sauce by Whitey

Code 1238

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
beer steelhead smoked
brine beer brown sugar maple syrup alder

coca cola brine for smoked fish

coca cola brined fish