Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Furuno non- networkable color sounder/gps that I'm very happy with, and now looking to add a radar.

The Furuno 1715 is a daylight readable stand alone LCD unit with a 7" screen for 1350.00 or so.

The Raymarine C70 is an integrateable system, 6.5" COLOR monitor and is 1800.00 with the radar package, and more$ to upgrade to gps/sounder.

Both units are 2.2kw and have a radome antenna.

While I only have the $ for the radar now and wouldn't upgrade the expandable system likely for a year or 2, I am seeking input from anyone who has used either of these units or has advice on my potential purchase.
I'm very interested to hear about respective performance and display attributes.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You don't give a budget or where your going to be using the electronics your asking about so I am going to make some assumptions.

First, whatever you decide to go with make sure it's network compatible for future upgrades.

I can't tell you anything about Raymarine, but I can tell you about Furuno.

I bought a new boat in 2004 and had a Furuno NavNet duel display system installed with radar, GPS, depth sounder/fishfinder and overlay heading sensor.

Other than a steep learning curve for all the electronics I have been 99.9% happy with the product and support. If I have ever had a question about a feature or setup, my e-mail/phone call, was responded to via e-mail or return phone call within 24 hrs every time.

I had some technical questions about some of their new products at the boat show this year that the guys manning the booth couldn't answer. They took my name and e-mail address and I had an e-mail with detailed information by the end of the day on Monday following my visit to the show.

Now that's what I call support!!

I will admit that the features of the fishfinder of my model are not quite as fancy as some of the stuff from Lowrance and some of the other companies that specialize in fishfinders, but I operate my boat routinely 30-50 miles offshore during the summer, so the radar performance was a major reason for going the way I did.

Here are a couple of screen shots of my fish finder to compare to what you already have:

[attachment=1]fishfinder-1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]fishfinder-2.jpg[/attachment]

The way I see it you either go with two separate systems forever, or you can add a network and be done.

One other thing, my system is now almost four years old and I can still get replacement parts for my entire system, is this the same with four year old Raymarine systems? ( I personally believe there is a good reason Furuno is used in the majority of commercial applications that I have ever seen).

I you have any specific questions, post them here or PM your phone # and I will give you a call.

Hope this helps. :cool: :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
I run a c-80 on my Defiance.

Have 0 experience with any other radar company.

The raymarine stuff has been perfect thus far. I installed everything: sounder, radar, gps antenna, head unit, vhf. I only had one problem that I couldn't figure out. One phone call and it was solved.

The one thing I really like is that ugrades are easily completed (just download software to CF card and load into the unit). There have been 3 software upgrades. Usually the stuff that the add on isn't super necessary, but, the last version gave me animated tide charts and current direction which was pretty neat.

I will be the first to admit I know nothing about radar. The main reason for me getting the raymarine is that the gps overlays the radar. This helps me make sense of what I'm looking at. Example, coming out of LaPush, there is a narrow channel (the river) to run out before you start out into the ocean. My first trip out of LaPush in heavy heavy fog, radar over gps, I could see the channel from the gps, the radar bounced the shoreline and James Island. It made it a whole lot easier.

I don't know if you want it or not, but Raymarine also has Seatalk 2 which is NMEA 2000 protocal. You can interface that with some newer engines (like my Suzuki) so you can get engine management data right on the screen.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1. Budget is a little as possible up front. I have a great color Furuno sounder with GPS, -just need a radar for night and fog/ limited visibility running.
2. Was primarily thinking that a color display such as the Raymarine may be better than the LCD of the Furuno even though it has a half inch smaller screen. Networking features aside, -Is the color screen really worth the extra $$? The overlay sounds great if budget allows eventually, but I have had no problems what soever with all the Furuno gear I have owned.

-I have absolutely zero experience with Radar other than the research I have done via reading and online.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If you already have the furuno sounder, then you mine as well stick with their stuff for consistancy.

The color does nothing for me on the radar side of things, other than to overlap the gps data. So, if you already have the gps and fishfinder, I personally, even though I have no experience with furuno, would buy furuno.

The only reason to go with the raymarine, would be if you wanted a redundant backup gps, but then you'll have to find a spot to mount another antenna, transducer, etc.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The ability to overlay the chart is a great tool, especially if you're a newbie to radar. I had the C-80 on my last boat, and had 0 problems with it. Furuno is great stuff- def commercial grade- but for most sport boats like ours, I think the Raymarine C series is just fine.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Since you already have a non-networkable finder/gps system, I see no reason to spend 3 times as much to start getting into networked systems.

I have no experience with Radar, but all the ones I have seen (even on color units) only utilized 1 color of the system. Maybe some of the more high end units do use more colors for the radar, I just haven't seen them. So, If you don't want to get the C Series for the MARPA and GPS Overlay then get the Furuno.

BTW: I'm pretty sure the C-Series has been out for at least 4 years now so it might be scheduled for retirement in the near future. I have no idea how Raymarine's cutomer service is (I've heard both good and bad). But that would not be a problem on the Furuno side I would bet (I've only heard praise with regards to Furuno Customer Service).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glijr,
I think I am in agreement.
I have a dash mounted furuno GP7000 NT Sounder /finder that is just a marvelous unit.
Now just going to decide if the Furuno 1715 or 1623 will be the Radar. The 1623 is 1/2 inch smaller screen size and 18 instead of 24 nautical mile range.They are both 2.2 kw radome style units with LCD display.
I just lost my job of 6 years on Wednesday, so I may go with the 1623 which is about 350.00 cheaper.
I am in Issaquah and it looks like you are in Fall City. -Maybe we can do an open seat exchange sometime.
Andy

·
Registered
145 Posts
I installed the Furuno 1623 Radar on my boat last year and it's a great little unit. I'm still learning how to use it but it was simple to install and worked right out of the box. Good point about "color" radars only using one color. I don't really miss not having color on the 1623. I've read what others have said about the 1623 and I agree, it's a great unit for the price. Very high quality and good bang for the buck.

Peter

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I can't speak for any other Furuno system other than my own, but when you are saying that the radar is only displayed in one color, it's not true.

My NavNet system displays numerous colors when using the radar "IF" you have the gain turned up to proper levels for the conditions present.

I don't have any pictures of the display using the radar or I would gladly post one, but trust me, it works just like your depthfinder, the more solid the reflection/object, the more brilliant the color.

Next time I'm out, I will make a point to take a picture of the display while using the radar and post it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts