1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
692 Posts
Personally, I find it hard to believe that the Tribes give a rip about anything but their bottom line when it comes to wild fish. They are holding all the cards when it comes to harvest making or forcing them to meet escapement simply will not happen. Not in Washington the Tribes already control the dos and don'ts. We all like to feel good about ourselves and think we can make a difference. I just don't see it happening with the limp dks we have running WDFW.
Just sayin'.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lots of effort required by all sides. It was sad to see the stocking program cancelled on the Toutle River, returning 12-14lb avg fish were amazing to catch. Taking a valued resource such as that from an already pressured system seems to be the wrong way to go.

·
Registered
692 Posts
ESA listings bring in big bucks. Fishing licences? Not so much.
I must say I feel empowered by being considered little more than a nuisance.
Fish will be in when the water drops next week. Snoqualmie here I come.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
I remember when the Quilleute Tribe decided to increase netting steelhead duringlate winter and spring from 3.5 days a week to 7 days a week, because sometimesthey would miss the large spurts of fish shooting in. In response, in order to have continued sport fishing for and retention of wild steelies, WDFW lowered its escapement minimum for the Quilleute system from 9,500 to 5,900 fish per year for wild winter runs. I'm not sure if those still are the current numbers 25 years later. At that time the Quill and all tribs were open to the daily retention of 2 wild steelies. You have me curious now so I'll search for current escapement numbers to see if they have been dropped again.

·
Registered
178 Posts
In my opinion, in the not to distant future, the native tribes of Washington will claim treaty rights on their claimed rivers, like the Quinault, and close those rivers to non-natives. They will begin to implement their license fees to fish on those treaty rivers. Then, the recognized Native Tribes will become the governing of when, where, and how the sport fishery will occur on their treaty claimed rivers. Note; that it is somewhat occurring now on the Puyallup / Nisqually Rivers with netting schedules. Your opinions?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts