Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to try fishing for salmon and steelhead with a float, since I see so many caught that way. I have dabbled with a float, but never had success, I am thinking partially because I use my drift rod which is 9’. I am set on getting a G-Loomis since all of my rods are from Loomis. My question is, what is the best float rod they make? I will be using it for jigs and bait fishing for salmon and steelhead. Any input or experience would be great.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
some people say that there is no need to spend the extra money for a high-priced ultrasensitive float rod, since the float will tell you whether or not you have a bite.

if that's the case, the shimano convergence 10'6 model will do as an affordable rod.

if you have your heart set on a pricey loomis, the 1263 GL3 is popular.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
10'6" and up would be a good choice for float fishing. If you're interested, I could give you a great deal on pretty much any brand new Loomis rod. PM if interested.

·
Banned
132 Posts
I have the Loomis 1263 casting rod and it works great. For smaller rivers I go to a 1141 or a 1143 spinning. The longer your rod, the easier it is to mend your line. On my 1263 I like to use braided line for floats because it floats and is easy to mend. I see a lot of 13ft rods up in Canada as float rods.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts