Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I probably know the answer to this one so forgive me if it seems too obvious a question.

Given that salmon are marginal fighters as it is, I hate to have the flasher attached to my line so I do either one of two things:
I rig the downrigger with a dummy flasher and I run my line above it, or I just run without a flasher.

I know flashers catch more fish but I also go fishing and not catching so I'd rather have no fight then catch a fish with a flasher attached. I also know flashers are designed to run with the weight of a line at the end of it. So has anyone tried to rig a release clip at the end of the flasher?

There would be a "tangle" issue but with ball bearing swivels on flashers will the tension of the line be sufficient to keep it "untwisted". I sort of don't want to try this if someone else already has done it with bad results conf: . I can visualize the nightmare of a tangle should the line start twisting...

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I am not sure about trying the clip on the end of the flasher, but if you don't like the fight with the flasher, a Canadian company makes a release flasher, where when the fish grabs the bait it pulls the release on the flasher and the flasher hangs loose and puts no drag, you can even rig the release in different holes to make the flasher work more aggresive or less agressive, I can't remember the name of the company, maybe someone else knows the name, they are great flashers, I will try and find out the name and post it if noone else knows Tup:

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
I believe its gibbs that makes that flasher your talking about.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
OK, has anybody used these and do they work?

·
Registered
562 Posts
There's a flasher called Jim's Breakaway Flasher. I was at the boat show last night and they have demo booth set up in conjunction with the Outdorr Emporium booth. Looks like they would work just fine. I'm not crazy about their color selection but they have some patterns that are similar to the popular Hot Spots or Pro-Troll flashers.

There's also a Canadian flasher called the Gibbs Farr Better Flasher that releases. I was given one a few years back and used it up in Canada. Worked just like it was supposed to. Here's a link to that flasher: http://www.gibbsfishing.com/products/fbflasher.asp

Slabby

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
pmenchaca said:
OK, has anybody used these and do they work?
I have used them and just like Slabby20 said they work like their supposed to, and they have good colors Tup:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Is there a place local that sells them? Figure I'll give them a try, heck might even catch a fish! :eek:

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
I am not sure what is local for you but Jerr'ys Surplus in Everett has them Tup:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Alright then...see if I can get some. Thanks for the info and tips.

·
Registered
520 Posts
rig the flasher like 5-7 feet behind the DownRigger ball.... and then put a couple feet leader off the the flasher with small weight (or lure with out hooks) to add drag on the tail end to make the flasher get the right action. Then Run your bait/hoochie/spoon/bucktail just above the flasher on the downrigger a few feet farther back than the flasher... then you get the same action as the flasher and dont have to fight a fish with it... now i know the lure wont be getting the added action from the flasher but so far it hasnt seemed to make too much of a difference for me. If you fish for silvers out in the ocean ... forget the flasher..get a fly rod its much more fun!

Ive used those flashers that release and wasnt too impressed with them... one time they got tangled up while bringing in the fish and it ended up breaking and being useless.... second they just dont seem to catch fish like the other flashers... and at least the last time i looked didnt have enough varieties of colors and patterns for my liking. just my two cents worth.

·
Registered
56 Posts
both the Jim's breakaway flasher and the Gibbs farr better flasher were invented in the Campbell river area of BC. Don't know how well Jim's flasher sells but the Gibbs ones come in a pile of different colors and sell pretty well in the Campbell river area and are slowly catching on through out Vancouver Island. If you are looking for some and can't find them in Washington state try Berry's Bait in BC. They do a ton of mail order business from their website and send product to Washington and Oregon all the time.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I've seen the Farr flashers at Wallmart in this area. I've used the Jim's flashers and they work OK. Not perfect, but better than nothing. You can't rig a release on the end of a flasher. With all the tension from the line to the rod, it wouldn't rotate.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Re: Flasher with release clip.

Here's a close up illustrating the various additional moving parts:
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6655074-0-large.jpg

RE: The Diagram - The leader & connected main line must be pulled sharply in a direction away from the flasher (opposite the rod) far enough that connection 66 will force release clip 36 from the flasher, allowing the flasher to swing freely. I looked at these a few years ago, and thought there was a bit too much hardware involved for my taste (and most would say I Rube Goldberg stuff ...)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts