Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on taking my grandsons to camp and fish on Lake Sawyer, near Covington middle of March, or so. I have fished for bass on the lake a couple times. We picked up a few small ones.

Can anyone give me some ideas on what I can do to improve their fishing experince. I know it is still a little cold.

What species? Perch? If so where on the lake and how? Worms?

Trout? Where and how? Trolling- Still fishing? Bait?

The are 2 and 4 years old --

Thanks for any help and pointers yo can provide.

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
I used to fish Sawyer back when I had a jon boat. They have stocked triploid trout within the past few years making it a worthy trout lake. (usually around March, April and May) Try trolling black or olive green #8 wooley buggers on the surface just off the weed beds and lilly pads. Use light leader and make sure it's pretty long...around 6' or so. Add a split shot to get it down a foot or so. Try worms for perch still fished off the bottom or throw small spinners or even a 'crawler under a bobber right next to the pads for bass. During that time of year, you shouldn't have any jetskis messin with ya. Hope that helped somewhat...I'm sure there's someone on this board that is a regular and will direct you to the best areas that I have now forgotton over the years.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
you should probably stick with trying a bobber and a worm under and bobber. You really can catch anything with that, and if you stay near the pads, especially those near docks, at the least you will hook into quite a few perch with a couple bass or trout mixed in. Seems the easiest for you as you can see if one of your grandchildren have a fish on.

Trolling can be productive just outside of these areas as well like steelyden spoke of.

Hope you guys have a wonderful time!!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Are you camping at the RV area? There are quite a few perch in the lake small jigs, 1/16 or 1/32 even smaller tipped with worm has worked well. Also on the north end of the lake there's a partially sunken tree, right before you go into the bay were I have picked up lots of perch and crappie, the crappie need to be 10" though to keep, Check the special lake rules again. Our neighbor at the lake uses a marshmellow setup for trout. I've caught nice trout on a firetiger colored crankbait right off the dock. Lots of smallies in there too.

·
Registered
606 Posts
If you have a boat and can find the old creekbed, OH Boy!! There are some BIG trout in there. Also the above mentioned methods have worked for me. Nice multi species lake and fun to fish before the jet and water skiers get out.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 20' NorthRiver and yes I will be camping at the Sun Rise Resort area. Thanks to all those who have helped so far.... Any more suggestions would be great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts