Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there is fishing worth while this time of year in or around Wenachee. I will be over there and have some time next Thursday.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Most anything other than the Columbia or Chelan is going to be frozen over. Maybe hit Fish Lake near Plain for some ice fishng.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx . But i don't have an auger, nor would I know what to do or where to fish. As i have never been ice fishing. However. I have always thought that it would be fun to catch fish through the ice. What would I be fishing for, and how would I fish it? conf:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Check out the mouth of the Methow up in Pateros for some nice steelhead. With the low temps the fish migrate back down the Methow and hold in the warmer waters of the Columbia. Bank access is available and the game seems to be a bucktail jig under a float. Check with the gas station in Pateros or contact Shane Magnuson of Upper Columbia Guide Service at 509-630-5433. Also checkout the triploid trout up around Bridgeport on Rufus Woods. Bank access available there also.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
gonefishin said:
Thanx . But i don't have an auger, nor would I know what to do or where to fish. As i have never been ice fishing. However. I have always thought that it would be fun to catch fish through the ice. What would I be fishing for, and how would I fish it? conf:
I think the Cove resort on Fish lake rents augers. You might not need one though. Ice fishing is pretty popular over there,and you could probably talk one of the guys out there into drilling a hole for you. Might even find a hole that nobodys at.

You can catch Perch and Rainbows right now. I think dropping a worm,maggot,or salmon egg would get you into fish.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx guys. That gives me a couple of options to think about. Work cuz ya gotta. Fish when you can cuz it's imperitive to your sanity.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Drop on into Hooked on Toys in Wenatchee. 1444 N Wenatchee Ave. Ask if Shawn still works there.

Chat it up a little, ask them what to buy, where to use it. They WILL tell you where the hot fishing is, and you will love their store too.
You buy some stuff from the locals and they will be dying to share some "how to" with you. I can't wait to retire over in the basin somewhere.
It might be windy, but did I mention 300 days of sun?

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
sparky said:
I can't wait to retire over in the basin somewhere.
It might be windy, but did I mention 300 days of sun?
That 300 days of sun is true and thats why I moved to Coulee City on the South end of Banks Lake when I retired. Because it is so dry over here you don't feel the heat or cold like you do on the wet side. The fresh water fishing is better and so is the hunting if you are into that.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Major and Timboy2,

I would sure like to hook up with you guys when I come to visit in August. If things go well, I'll be staying right across form Manson.

I'll bring stuff to target Macs, Bows, Kokes, and smallies, but have no idea what to do to target Burbot. Is a ling a ling? Fresh meat on the bottom?

Major, what do you think of the east bank stretch from Orondo to Beebe ranch? That is my target. Maybe north of Beebe Ranch up towards your haunts.
I'd really like to come visit your town and see what attracted you -- besides all the lilacs and deer in you yard.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
It's been almost eleven years since I lived in Wenatchee, but this used to be the best time of the year to fish Lake Chelan for Macinaw and Burbot. Are you taking your boat over there? If so, put in at the Mill Bay boat ramp, run straight out to "Mac Island", which is an underwater ridge out in the middle of the lake that tops out around 110' deep, zoom the depth finder in on the bottom and start looking for fish. The Lings used to pile up in the deepest bowl between "Mac Island" and the Mill Bay boat launch at about 170' deep. The best technique we found was to use a 1 to 1 1/2 oz. jigging spoon, like a Point Wilson Dart or Zinger, in white or glow, tipped with a night crawler. Drop it to the bottom and slow jig it, you should catch both Burbot and Macinaw on this rig.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Thanks Trent, that is a most excellent tip. I've trolled the bar for Macs, but had no idea the Burbot were hanging right there with them.

Will chunks of squaw fish work as well as the crawlers? The guide we fished with from Mountain Dew Guide service used it on every Mac lure.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Oh you fished with Chuck?

Chunks of squaw fish may work for lings too, but I know for sure both Macs and Lings love night crawlers all trailing out behind a jig.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Trent said:
Chunks of squaw fish may work for lings too, but I know for sure both Macs and Lings love night crawlers all trailing out behind a jig.
A trailing worm on a jig or a spinner will take Walleye too.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Yes, yes I did fish with Chuck. He sure knows his stuff. My brother in law lives over there and fishes with him as a friend, instead of a client.

The girls almost fell off the dock when the saw the inside of his boat.

And then they saw the name of the boat ...... "smells like fish".

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Yeah, Chuck does really know his stuff.
Is Chuck still fishing from his Lund or does he have a different boat these days?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts