Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just spent most of my three daughters inheritance, ( no, not on a G. Loomis), on a place in Phoenix, Az. I will be going there in April, May this year and snow birding it a lot in the winters. Giving up steel in the winter means needing a fish fix down there. Anyone here have any idea about what there is to fish for around there?

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Hit the suburban ponds for suburban trout. You'll need a special suburban pond fishing license.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I lived in Tucson for 5 years while going to graduate school at the Univ. of Arizona. Fishing is pretty slim pickings in the entire state. The best place I found near Phoenix was Lake Roosevelt - a little NE of Phoenix. See this link for fishing info. I've caught small mouth and crappie in the lake. There's some lunker large mouth there too but I never caught one. There's several places to launch a boat or even to rent one. Farther south (south of Tuscon) is Lake Patagonia. It's gets stocked with trout and has reasonable populations of largemouth and crappie. You can rent row boats at the state park. Other than that, your best bet in Az is either the urban trout ponds (not my fav) or up north in the mountain streams.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Dr. Hook has it right on! Tup: I guess I'll be the one to stir the pot and ask what's really on all of our minds. What were you thinking? conf: If you have fish in the veins, why would you move to Arizona? My dad's been trying to get me to snow bird there with him. No salt and no rivers. He says there is a lake somewhere in that state. I'm planning on snowbirding somewhere I can fish blue water and warm water dive. Although I hate to give up my winter steel. Sorry, just my two cents.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
When i was in arizona visiting my grandparents i fished in everything with water in it, and caught fish in just about all of em. All of the irrigation canals have largies, catfish, carp, and many other species in em, i just tossed spinners and caught alot of different species, it sure was alot of fun!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I started out fishing back in the early '70s in Phoenix, born there. Lotsa bass, cats, bluegills..etc, Pleasant, Rosevelt, Verde River had some dandy fish back then...don't know about it know. Colorado river up north i'm sure would be nice...like said above, most waterways will have bass...be careful, back then they also had snapping turtles.

·
Banned
2,114 Posts
Lake Suaro (sp?) is north of Mesa which is about 20 minutes southeast of Phoenix. I've been there a few times but never fished. The boathouse has lots of pics of very nice bass, trout, bluegill and perch. There are boat rentals too. A beautiful lake in a beautiful setting.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
gone fishing said .....I guess I'll be the one to stir the pot and ask what's really on all of our minds. What were you thinking? If you have fish in the veins, why would you move to Arizona? My dad's been trying to get me to snow bird there with him. No salt and no rivers. He says there is a lake somewhere in that state. I'm planning on snowbirding somewhere I can fish blue water and warm water dive. Although I hate to give up my winter steel. Sorry, just my two cents.

It is called commitment, investment and income. Commitment to my wife who becomes depressed by the long gray days here in the winter and the weather there makes her alot easier to live with, investment because I was able to buy if for penny's on the dollar, and income because it rents for $1500.00 a month when I'm not there, with a waiting line to rent.This BTW is way more than the money spent from my IRA is making for my IRA, almost double per month and I don't have to worry about the DOW going down and down and down like it has been in the last months.
One of my best friends also snowbirds it and he fishes steel in November, December. He leaves right after new years day and returns when it get to hot to stay. He caught in excess of 100 salmon this year, (not counting pinks), and fished the coast for brats before going this year. He did ok on the brats before leaving so I'm going to practice the same thing.
Believe me gf, it isn't my first choice, but it is more beneficial in terms of personal and financial gain than fishing steel here and that counts for plenty in my book.

A big thanks to all of you who responded, now I don't feel so bad about leaving. Guess I'll have to sharpen up my old bass'n ways.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Plenty of warm weather species down here! Plus you can drive a little farther and go into the white mountains for the trout and stuff. I haven't had a chance to fish down here yet, but I'm hoping to get out soon. Plus Phoenix is pretty close to San Diego and Mexico, so you've got fairly easy access to salt water. Where in Phoenix are you moving to?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
madcapmag said:
Plenty of warm weather species down here! Plus you can drive a little farther and go into the white mountains for the trout and stuff. I haven't had a chance to fish down here yet, but I'm hoping to get out soon. Plus Phoenix is pretty close to San Diego and Mexico, so you've got fairly easy access to salt water. Where in Phoenix are you moving to?
Apache Junction, Roadhaven RV/Park models 55+ resort. Golf course ( have never golfed), pool, huge wood working shop, proviedd side trips on the cheap to Mexico, Vegas, Laughlin, Grand Canyon, and more, activites, nice, nice resort. My little brother got me in as he birds it there also. Thanks for asking and replying madcapmag.

·
Registered
315 Posts
If you have a boat.... Definitely Lake Pleasant. If you take the time to learn it a little bit, you will have
some *very* good days there. It's probably been eight years ago, but I spent four winters there. Crappie,
white bass and largemouth. Try the creek channels up around the NW public launch. Minnows under a
sliding bobber caught the most fish for us. There is an actual river that runs in on the NE side of the lake.
When the water is high, you can get quite a ways up in there. At certain times, party boats will go up in
there and anchor and make for some spectacular female sight seeing if your wife isn't along. :) Normal
bass fishing rules apply to structure and water temperature and good fish can be caught year around.
When I was there, there was no limit on anything. The fish were always excellent eating. There are
lots of shad in that lake, so watch out for birds and bait balls on your electronics. I *think* it was November,
we got a wild hair and motored up to the Dam. We spotted fish boiling at the surface at bait and cast
spoons and plugs across the swirrling water and slammed fish after fish. 3 to 4 pound white bass and
largemouths in the same schools. They were all big and very hungry. We went again the next day and
found them again. Two of the best fishing days in my life that I will always remember because my late
wife, who loved to fish, was with me. Try to get back to the launch before dark and pay attention to
your depth finder. There are lots of rocky humps that can be a beotch if you aren't paying attention
and it gets extremely dark after sunset. There used to be a couple of good tackle shops in town that
would give you good info and set you up.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My folks live West of Phoenix in Tonapah, in the shadow of the Eagle Tail Mts.....kinda beautiful in that area....good luck to you....hope you post some pics of the fish you catch. Tup:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
trharder said:
If you have a boat.... Definitely Lake Pleasant. If you take the time to learn it a little bit, you will have
some *very* good days there. It's probably been eight years ago, but I spent four winters there. Crappie,
white bass and largemouth. Try the creek channels up around the NW public launch. Minnows under a
sliding bobber caught the most fish for us. There is an actual river that runs in on the NE side of the lake.
When the water is high, you can get quite a ways up in there. At certain times, party boats will go up in
there and anchor and make for some spectacular female sight seeing if your wife isn't along. :) Normal
bass fishing rules apply to structure and water temperature and good fish can be caught year around.
When I was there, there was no limit on anything. The fish were always excellent eating. There are
lots of shad in that lake, so watch out for birds and bait balls on your electronics. I *think* it was November,
we got a wild hair and motored up to the Dam. We spotted fish boiling at the surface at bait and cast
spoons and plugs across the swirrling water and slammed fish after fish. 3 to 4 pound white bass and
largemouths in the same schools. They were all big and very hungry. We went again the next day and
found them again. Two of the best fishing days in my life that I will always remember because my late
wife, who loved to fish, was with me. Try to get back to the launch before dark and pay attention to
your depth finder. There are lots of rocky humps that can be a beotch if you aren't paying attention
and it gets extremely dark after sunset. There used to be a couple of good tackle shops in town that
would give you good info and set you up.
What a great come back trharder, thank you very verry much.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Your welcome, Kid.
I wish I still had my map of that lake. I could give you better details. Find you one of those
waterproof maps of Pleasant made by "Fish-n-Map Co." Ask the boys at the tackle stores to
give you some hints where to start. Oh.. and for an extra $5 or so you can legally fish two
poles per person. So you can have a minnow and a bobber out and throw artificials at the
same time. If the fishing is dead, move to another spot. It's seldom crowded and the weather
is usually warm in the winter. If you have a bad day or two, don't give up. It can turn to
red hot in a second. Maybe you can get together with Madcap and check it out. Good luck.
Tim

1 - 15 of 15 Posts