Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say you just caught the trophy you've been trying for years to catch.Which kind of mount are you going to have done (skin or replica ) and what are the reasons for your choice. :)

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
My wife surprised me one year with a fiberglass mount of the 18lb steelhead I caught on the OP. Her uncle was painting them for a while on the side and offered to do it for christmas. Looks pretty real to me.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
i would probably do a replica because i would probably release the fish {depending on species} if it was a real trophy.{ that is my personal prefference i don't have a problem with people keeping a big fish if it's legal.}

·
Registered
434 Posts
You'd really have to look at the taxidermist first- all have their strenghts and weaknesses. I'm not sure on the prices taxidermists charge, but since i do my own work, i can tell you 80 to 90% of what you pay is labor. For a skin mount, you've got a 20 dollar polyeurethane form, eyes, paint, and various dry preserve or skin tan, along with clay/mache and fin backing. All the materials are seriously less than 50 bucks, but skin mount is where the labor is at... For a replica, you just match up your measurements and pick out the resin/fiberlgass replica that fits best. Then you've got a perfectly shaped fish, all you do is pop some eyes in, attach the fins- then paint. The hardest part by far is the painting, which will make or break any mount, or taxidermist for that matter.... I'd reccomend getting ahold of some good taxidermists and looking at their work and prices, then make your choice.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
I'd go replica.

What YellowFever said about a skin mount is true. The material costs of a Skin mount are less, but there is more labor on the part of the taxidermist to do the work. The end result is generally the same cost to the consumer.

But I think what you are concerned with is having a trophy hanging on your wall. If you want a really nice mount its going to cost some $$.. So with that in mind, a Repro will last forever. A skin mount will not. No matter how good the taxidermist is, its still skin, and there is still going to be a minute amount of oil in the skin which will eventually break down. So if it were me, I'd go repro for that reason. Unless it falls off your wall, it will last forever.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Olybirds said:
I'd go replica.

Unless it falls off your wall, it will last forever.
I wouldn't even worry about that! heck with the fiberglass bodies and flex form fins they are pretty tough- especially with a few coats of gloss on top of the paint!.. I'd go replica too-

·
Registered
398 Posts
replica 4 sure they look way more realistic. measure girth, length, and take several close pictures to get good detail of colors. then you can let your trophy swim off to pass thegood genes on to another generation. just my take.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I recently had to take a steelhead (skin) mount in to be repainted. The colors faded out something terrible. I dont know it this problem is exclusive to skin mounts or not, but seem's like there are a lot of pro's for the replica. The fish would agree too...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well I have 1 LMB that is a fibreglass replica & 1 Alabama Spotted Bass that I had done as a skin mount. By all means the fiberglass mount is the way to go.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I have both skin mounts and repros... now of course I'd only do a repro on a Steelhead. Back in 1995 I had this fish done here in Olympia by a local Taxidermist who did awesome fish. It's a skin mount and hasn't faded, cracked, peeled or anything.Back then this mount was $28 an inch. I know he is more than that now but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Excellent mount Brian, and a heck of a whopper metalhead. Tup:

Was that the Bogie fish?

Maybe it says Sol Duc, but not sure. conf:

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I like the skin mounts because it is what it is and Morrow's have done some great work for me.....But I'm not against the rep's either....

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I'll go with replica too. I'm looking at getting one this year if I catch a nice smallmouth over 5+ lbs or a nice largie. How much do they normally cost anyway?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts