Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had some 14 lb Fireline Crystal on my reel for a little over a year now.
I was looking at it yesterday and can see where it is beginning to fray slightly. It still fishes fine and the leader continues to snap on snags before the braid does, as it should.
I'm going to replace it and thought it would last longer then it has.
How long should Fireline or other braid brands such as Power Pro, Suffix, etc last?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
I just respooled my 15lb power pro by taking the stuff that is on top and putting it on bottom so the stuff that was right next to the spool is now the line that is closest to the top. Not sure if that make sense, but basically the stuff that is closest to the reel is still plenty fresh.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
srchn4salmon said:
I just respooled my 15lb power pro by taking the stuff that is on top and putting it on bottom so the stuff that was right next to the spool is now the line that is closest to the top. Not sure if that make sense, but basically the stuff that is closest to the reel is still plenty fresh.
I never thought about doing that, do you worry that the knot will break at the spool now and the line will just spin since it is the more used part of the line?, that is a good idea, I just wonder about that

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
No, not really worried about it. I've heard of people doing this before. So far it hasn't given me any problems, I just use it on my smaller spinning setup in small rivers so if I get that close to the knot at the bottom, I've gotten myself into bigger problems. wink:

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Thanks srchn, I will have to do that instead of changing out the whole line, sorry for hijacking the thread, now back to the program :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
I do the same... I think. If I understand.

If you have a spare reel without any line on it that is very helpful. Two is even better since it takes three times to get the line back on your original spool so that the line that was deep on the spool is now on the outside of the spool. Take the line off of the original reel with the spare reel and then transfer that line to another spool before putting it back on the original reel. Just be careful not to put too much twist into the line during the process or it will come back to haunt you. A little mono backing will help the old outer line grab onto the spool a little better when you go to put it on the original reel agian.

Isaac

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
S4S,
That makes perfect sense. I'm still going to replace it with a slightly heavier braid, like 20 lb PP. I need more line anyway thanks to a wicked backlash by buddy got will using my reel.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I like that Fireline Crystal Brian. I haven't had any on a reel that long, but like Srchn said, just flip it around and you should be good to go. I noticed that the more I used the crystal fireline the more manageable and better it got with time and use. Tup:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clay,
I noticed that also. It has almost a waxy feel to it when it it new. When I first spooled it up, I wasn't to keen on it. As you mentioned, it seemed to fish better the more you fished it, like the coating was getting worn off of it.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
GURU said:
srchn4salmon said:
I never thought about doing that, do you worry that the knot will break at the spool now and the line will just spin since it is the more used part of the line?, that is a good idea, I just wonder about that
I wouldn't sweat the knot on the spool breaking,when was the last time you had a fish take you to the knot?

I put a couple wraps of tape on the spool before I load it with braid. The braid grips the tape and then it doesn't slip.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
yeah, i usually just flip it. I actually did it yesterday, but went form a reel of one size, to a larger one, so i used about 50 yards of mono backing so that the spool would be full. Now its like having brand new line on there, and a fish would be most of the way back to the ocean before they got to the older braid that has been casted out many times near the bottom of the spool, not to mention the mono backing. Its much more cost effective to reverse the line, espeically with all the $$$$$ involved with braid!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I have some 20lb. Power Pro that I use casting jig's off the pier that is 3 years old. I have flipped it once and it is still in good shape.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have fire line on one reel and I have flipped once but I have used it hard for over five years. It stays strong even when the color fades. I like it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts