Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Merry Christmas for starters. Second I've been doing to light line float fishing lately with a baitcaster and 12lb mono. I tried to run 8lb. in my chronarch and had less than great results. Bird's nests every cast, I think that light of line is just beyond my skill level when combined with lightweight jigs and floats. I was thinking of going with like 14lb. fireline because it floats (equal to 6lb mono), but then I realized that might be too small for the chronarch as well. I really don't want to run any larger than 20lb braid because my rods a 10'6" 4-10lb. and the 20lb fireline is equal to 8lb mono. My question is, has anyone had good results running 14lb or 20lb. fireline with a baitcaster and lightweight float/jig setups? Myabe I just need to tune my skills more, but I was having a world of trouble trying to cast float/jigs with 8lb trilene.

thanks, and again happy holidays.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Not sure on line weight for a baitcaster, but you could use an in-line weight with matched bobber, much easier to cast, and can be tossed a long way if needed, and that would solve the issue of casting with the light weight...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ive been running Power pro 15lb 4 dia on my chronarch and have no problems with it. I would recommend PPro over fireline,seems like it buries easier in the spool for me anyway, switched to pro and never looked back Tup:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I run 14 lb Fireline Crystal on my 200 Curado with no problems. I use a balanced bobber / in-line weight system like RiverFishin mentioned. Casts great and fishes well.
Brian

·
Registered
701 Posts
I use a spinning setup running light lines and small jigs it allows for longer casts without the weight. I prefer spiderwire over power pro and tuff line it doesn't dig in on the spool. 20lb test

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
How light an overall weight were you trying to cast? I am baffled that a chronarch would have issues tossing 8# mono, when its lesser sister, a curado can do it without a hitch. I would recommend fine tuning the settings of the reel to make it able to manage 8# mono but if not, then I'd try 20# fireline given your options. Good luck!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I wouldn't worry about going to heavy on the mainline with braid. My thought is that the rod can't handle the pressure of a heavier line but if your leader being the weak point is only 8 lb then that is the line you are running. Anyways, I run 30 lb powerpro on my 6-10lb rod and have great results. When fireline is fresh it is kind of sticky on the spool. A smallish float and fresh braid on an unshure thumb is not the best combo. Run a 1/2oz float for a while to give you a little better feel.
When running this light of line, there isn't an advantage with baitcasting in my opinion. I stick to the spin in scenarios where I will be running mainly 8lb leader.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Hi Mitch. Merry Christmas to you too. Just a word of caution... the breaking test weight of 20# fireline is roughly 20#'s, only the diameter of 20# fireline is equal to 8# mono. Berkley gives the diameter equivalent because most reels have capacity measurements for mono. You can put a lot more fireline on the spool than you can when running the same # test in mono. If you go with 20# line, you'll be doubling what your rod was rated for, so make sure that your leader is light enough to break before your rod does. I run 8# Crystal Fireline direct to jig except when it's freezing, then I go straight to mono. Hope this helps and best of luck to you. Adios, T

1 - 8 of 8 Posts