Game Fishing Forum banner

Fired Up! Another pic added........

4K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Kokanee Kid 
#1 ·
So today I find out at 6:30am that I do no get to go to work Friday night. My blood begins to boil. The thoughts of seeing Paul’s kokes from down south and the reports from friends closer to home. First stop is to get a new license. And then home, on the way call my partner in crime to see if he wants’ to take the boat out. I feel crushed when he tells me he is going to go fish the Cowlitz. About 30min. later my phone rings, he had a change of mind. I'm thinking sweet, but first things first. Home I go and with some negotiation with the wife I get the green light. Drop the youngest off at Uncles house to go camping and the to the store. This seems to be taking forever! At least I bought myself a six pack.....Not bad at 92 centcs a can!

Back home to unload and load up bait and gear. We I get to my buddies he all hooked up and ready................sweet! We launched at American a little before noon, are the fish guna bite? After all one of my hommies was out earlier and had three hook-up's. I hope for just a few chances at some koke's and I would be happy. The lake is like glass, overcast, low clouds, and just a sprinkle. But first thing I notice before we launch is fish on the surface. After running the big motor for a bit after it's long winter's nap the skipper pick's a starting location. I begin the process of setting up. I deploy the skip's rod first. Thirty five pulls out and I turn my head to ask the skip how deep he wants it, even tho it's not on the rigger yet. Before I could get the words out of my mouth I feel a hard yank..............yank. Bam! I yell "fish on". Skip say's "what?" I repeat myself. He say's "no way!" I tell him to come get his rod. And so it begins.

Over the next two hours we have a blast, and also pick up the skip's brother. I also had a potential thief, and let me tell ya this dude got real close!

I could not believe I almost crackered a fish by bird. We went 15-19, and I will admit 3 of the lost fish was by me. We also had three fire drills, that mean's doubles! Not bat for two hours of fishing!

So you may be asking "what were you using? How deep were you?"
I'll tell ya:

Bahama mama dodger
Pink uv squid 12"-14" leader
Pink uv apex
Pink wedding ring w/silver blade
DNA white shoepeg corn and pink gulp maggots
35 pulls back 7'-8' down
or flat line 45-50 pulls back

FISH ON!!!!!

On a side note, if this makes no sense at all, please cut me some slack I have been up for 24 hours. I'm guna go drool on my pillow now!

See less See more
#9 ·
Re: Fired Up!

by netboy
Great report & pics. Have a good night's sleep and dream of biggg fish!
Thank's netboy. Koke fishing is what I do, not big fish, except when I fish for monster sturgeon with Paul.
I'd call that BIG :D

by fishn2gthr4ever
It made perfect sense: you went fishing, caught some great Kokanee, and had a blast! Right on, Jr. Cool pics too.
Thanks Ma-n-Pa. Nice to chat with ya, we will go soon. And those pic's were taken with a cheap camera. Wish I had TF24's video gear today.

by wannafish
Very NICE!!!!
Now we just have to work on getting you off of the trout :lol:

by dbfield
Nice going sir! I hope they are that cooperative in the morning. Thanks for the information and I hope to be able to post that good of a report tomorrow.
If you do what we talked about yesterday, it should be on like donkey kong Tup:
Don't know if I will be there or not yet, I know the skip want's to go.

by RottenChum
God...your sick...so am I...I'm lovin the post...thanks man...
I have had the kokanee fever for many years, only one thing put's it into remission!!!!!!

by Chuck S
KK - yer mojo is epic. Let me know when you want to come north and hit Lake Stevens. We will make a mini koke fest out of it
I will need to talk to my agent clown:

by fishing bear
Nice job KK. You and the gang tore them up.
What's up old man! Let me tell ya, it was killer! Ya got to come down and do it. Give me a call and I will hook you up! Do you think our lil secret squirrel hole is guna have some pig's this year?

#12 ·
#13 ·

Jr., I like the feather separation on the eagle shot; it is very cool. For a "cheap camera" it captured the image nicely! Ma & I will have the video gear ready to roll when we hook up with you for an American Lake adventure, ok? Tup: Tup:

#14 ·

Wow that looks like fun! Way to go! I'm yet to catch a kokanee, so seems like I need to get out to American Lake! Its a pretty big lake though right? I've got a 12' fiberglass boat which should do the trick, only thing is all i have is a 45lb trolling motor. Would I be ok with that out there? Any other tips for "kokanee killing" would be greatly appreciated!

#16 ·

Been reading the kokanee reports here for a year or so and I've just got to get out and give it a try.
Never fished for them before but do have a little of the gear that is used.

One thing that seems to be a necessity is a fish finder which I've always considered 'cheating' but maybe at my age, I'll just have to give it a try.

#17 ·

by fishn2gthr4ever
Jr., I like the feather separation on the eagle shot; it is very cool. For a "cheap camera" it captured the image nicely! Ma & I will have the video gear ready to roll when we hook up with you for an American Lake adventure, ok?
Best thing you can do is be ready to say "yes".

by FindTheFish6 on
Wow that looks like fun! Way to go! I'm yet to catch a kokanee, so seems like I need to get out to American Lake! Its a pretty big lake though right? I've got a 12' fiberglass boat which should do the trick, only thing is all i have is a 45lb trolling motor. Would I be ok with that out there? Any other tips for "kokanee killing" would be greatly appreciated!
PM sent

by codliveroil
Thanks for the {very good } report
You bet! Go-get-em!

by MrJohn
Been reading the kokanee reports here for a year or so and I've just got to get out and give it a try.
Never fished for them before but do have a little of the gear that is used.
One thing that seems to be a necessity is a fish finder which I've always considered 'cheating' but maybe at my age, I'll just have to give it a try.
Sorry to say, but in my book downriggers and fish fiders go hand-in-hand. And later in the year you will want both of them.

#23 ·
Hey Kid,

Congrats on the good day. Great pics.

The kokes have been on the surface at American for a few weeks now. I hit them last week just like you did. Pretty exciting.

I'll be fishing Friday and/or Saturday this week if you want to hook up. I'm the guy in the Alumaweld that gave you a bottomwalker last year. Planning on starting with kokes then moving to perch.

randy

#26 ·
by i8skeerd
Got my vote for post of the year. Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Thank's, I don't know bout that tho.

by HookSetter
Hey Kid,
Congrats on the good day. Great pics.
The kokes have been on the surface at American for a few weeks now. I hit them last week just like you did. Pretty exciting.
I'll be fishing Friday and/or Saturday this week if you want to hook up. I'm the guy in the Alumaweld that gave you a bottomwalker last year. Planning on starting with kokes then moving to perch.
randy
Hey man, good to hear from you! Im kinda busy this week, don't think I will get out, but you never know.

by takedown
Nice post how big are those fatties? What did you use the cans of corn for if you were using the other stuff?
Most of the fish are 11"-12 1/2". We use corn alot for bait, not always tho, I also eat the leftover corn without scent of course.

fishn2gthr4ever
+2
Oh stop :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.