Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking at the WDFW escapement reports here: http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/hat/escape/e021408.pdf and for the Carbon river/Voights creek, it already has the pathetic number of 23 returning Steelhead as the final estimate. i thought they ran well into March? i was planning on giving it a try next weekend but maybe i'll just not waste my time.

so now that i missed out on that, can anyone tell me which rivers have a Spring Chinook fishery? i've never fished for them before but i'd like to this year.

thanks all

Bobby

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
80 people and no one has any idea about the Carbon runs or which rivers have Springer fisheries? do i smell? does't thou offend?

Bobby

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I find it hard to believe that only 23 made it back to Voights Creek, especially since they plant a bagillion smolt a year or something like that. If it was only 23, why in the hell keep planting that crappy strain of fish, why not try a different strain or just stop planting them all together. My .02 cents..

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i'm a bankie. any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Red,
i really don't know what strain they use or where they are originally form. i also don't know how this river system went from being one of the best in the state to the nearly the worst in the state. i know the gillnetting doesn't help but i doubt that's the only cause. i sure would like to know what happens to those hundreds of thousands of Steelies that are planted every year. i fear that the Puyallup Steelie is just about extinct.

Bobby

·
Registered
784 Posts
Could it be that these fish are netted down in the mainstream Puyallup? I know they net the crap out of the Puyallup for salmon in the fall.

I have heard there are some steelies around in the Carbon, but I have never fished it for them. There seems to be some guys around that swear by that river, but it is hard to justify spending the time on it. I also watch the escapement reports and it seems like they always get a poor return.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist, but I don't completely believe the numbers they post for the plants either. I am not trying to call anyone a liar, but the returns just don't seem to mesh with the plants. This seems to be the case on many rivers around the region. The Carbon has very decent returns of Kings, Silvers and Pinks so it is hard to believe that river conditions are that poor. Maybe it is the tribal netting. Maybe it is ocean conditions and survival, but there are other Puget Sounds rivers getting way better hatchery returns from way less plants.

This is a questions that has perplexed me for a few years now and I have never got a good answer.

As for springers, try down south.

·
Registered
520 Posts
this has been brought up in other posts... they are calling it the final in season estimate of hatchery steelhead because the hatchery steelhead from this particular hatchery usually return from thanksgiving to the end of feb.... i cant see too many more making it back to the voights creek hatchery this year. As for a conspiracy as to only that many making it back...i dont think.. so go down talk to the hatchery workers (there used to be a lady who would take the time to tell you how the runs were doing) I know many people put in many many days of hard fishing on the carbon and puyallup and came up with basically nothing in regards to hatchery steelhead. Im pretty sure netting isnt helping the numbers, but it isnt significant for this system. They average 200,000 smolts a year released from that hatchery and havent had a huge return from a LONG time. Recent years it has been less than 100. I agree that something needs to change with this hatchery. The money being pumped into raising these fish could be better spent on another strain of steelhead or a different style of raising and releasing which could increase the returns.
I have heard through the grape vine that a LARGE percent of the hatchery zombie steelhead smolts never make it to the salt because they get gobbled up by birds(seagulls, diving gulls, eagles, osprey, diving ducks, herons, cormorants etc)... according to one local at certain times of the year those birds will eat soo much of the smolts that they have trouble taking off.

As for springers... there are no seasons currently for springers on the carbon and i highly doubt there will be one.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
sounds like the deschutes in olympia, it used to have great steelheading in the 60's - early 80's. they still plant it but it gets back literally less than 5 fish through the trap. my neighbor was incharge of that stocking program and said that the strain of fish they had was so overbreed that they were retarded and couldn't find there way home and were ending up in other systems. i don't know how true that is but i am just telling what my fishery buddy told me.

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
Bobarino said:
i was looking at the WDFW escapement reports here: http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/hat/escape/e021408.pdf and for the Carbon river/Voights creek, it already has the pathetic number of 23 returning Steelhead as the final estimate. i thought they ran well into March? i was planning on giving it a try next weekend but maybe i'll just not waste my time.
thanks all
Bobby
I have put together an excel spread sheet on the Voights creek escapement reports on the salmon and steelhead since 2000. I did it so I would know what months to expect the fish. Some years they quit in Jan. but others go until March. some weeks have the same number for 2 weeks in a row. When they make their reports for the year the totals they tell are larger than the escapement reports. The totals for the year 2007 will really be 2006 run. One really has to look and then compare. The report from Voights creeks for the salmon and steelhead are going down every year. Now are these just the hatchery fish? What about the wilds? I know that it says that only 46 pinks came to the hatchery. A lot more than those fish were in the river.
This is the first year I have fished for steelhead. I caught one in Oct. I have heard guys say that they catch them. I haven't seen them. I just caught that one in Oct.
Does that help you any?
I did check out the Skook report and it was only 55.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
maybe one of these days if i ever have one off of work, i'll hop on the bike and ride down to the hatchery and pick their brains. as for the pinks, the hatchery doesn't raise them and most of them breed on South Prairie Creek. i suspect the ones in Voight's were just lost. there were certainly plenty of pinks this year and the Silver run seemed better than the Voight's numbers would indicate too, but who knows.

Ken M,
thanks for the river tips! i'm going to hit one or some of them starting late next month. i'm thinking of eggs under a float or drifting EZ Eggs. think that'll work? any other techniques i should be trying?

thanks again all.

Bobby

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Bobarion Make shore you have sand shrimp to and good sent. Kalama would be a good place to start.But there will be lots of fishermen there.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bobarino, Wait until mid april through the end of May. Drano lake just off the columbia will be the hot spot for spring kings. though it will be crowded but there are very nice fish to be had for everyone. wink:

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Ken and Barron. is Drano fishable from the bank? i don't have a boat so i'll be slingin' something from the shores.

Bobby

1 - 17 of 17 Posts