Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(03-12) 04:00 PDT Sacramento - -- San Francisco Chronicle

So few salmon are living in the ocean and rivers along the Pacific Coast that salmon fishing in California and Oregon will have to be shut down completely this year unless an emergency exception is granted, Pacific Fishery Management Council representatives said Tuesday.

It would mark the first time ever that the federal agency created 22 years ago to manage the Pacific Coast fishery canceled the coast's traditional salmon fishing season from April to mid-November.

Such a move would jeopardize the livelihoods of close to 1,000 commercial fishermen from Santa Barbara to Washington State and would significantly drive up the price of West Coast wild salmon.

A decision to shut down the fishery also would kill recreational salmon fishing for some 2.4 million anglers in California, an activity that the American Sportfishing Association has estimated is worth $4 billion.

More at ... http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2008/03/12/MNSLVHTM5.DTL

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Great, now we will get a buttload of Californian's comig up here to get fish, even if it helps the Salmon populations come back, they will have to close the fishing up here next year as all the people will deplete the salmon in Washington too Tdown: Tup: :?

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
Thats wild... I hate to say it but, this is just the beginning of whats to come. sick:

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
..and while I don't expect a total shutdown here, don't be surprised if the natives start figuring that half of a shrinking pie isn't enough anymore, and we lose more and more of our recreational fish.

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
TrollKing said:
..and while I don't expect a total shutdown here, don't be surprised if the natives start figuring that half of a shrinking pie isn't enough anymore, and we lose more and more of our recreational fish.
Thats what concerns me. What is being done to address the river gill netting problem. sick:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
What's being done to shut commercial Salmon fishing down in Alaska in areas known to harvest fish from the 3 southern states? Impact they have on the fish here is huge. What was the article I just read on bycatch alone, in one place 130,000 Salmon taken as bycatch andabout 40,000 were fish from the southern states? I think that was what I read. :?:

·
Administrator
13,966 Posts
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
What's being done to shut commercial Salmon fishing down in Alaska in areas known to harvest fish from the 3 southern states? Impact they have on the fish here is huge. What was the article I just read on bycatch alone, in one place 130,000 Salmon taken as bycatch andabout 40,000 were fish from the southern states? I think that was what I read. :?:
Oh that... That was an accident. :geek:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Dr Hook said:
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
That was just one accident that we've heard about. Just like the Makahs a few years ago... Yeah right!
The leaders of Washington, Oregon and California as well Canada should be all over Alaska to stop this stuff and stop it now!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Dr Hook said:
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
Oops, sorry I just wiped out your fishery for years to come. It was just an accident. My Bad. ;)

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
well In 1992 er abouts then ,I was on my way to Alaska for commercial longlining and the Canadians were all lined up , we passed no prob But they were there to stop the alaskan salmon boats from going up to Active Pass [I think] Long time ago , Because the alaskans were netting canadian fish that were passing through from the bering sea , Then Came the North American Salmon treaty , Remmember the Canadians tried to put a tarrif on american ships to make up for the loss in salmon ?WDFW has known about all this forever and so has NOAA and whatever that other group is , Every one gets every one elses fish , and what about the High Seas drift netters ? They string MILES Yes MILES of nets out and were busted by the coast guard , I saw them Tied up in Dutch Harbor in the 90s, And the Coasties were sleeping on the wheel house floor so they couldn't slip away at night , SOOOO whats the mystery here ? This ship was caught trying to throw frozen salmon over board and were busted with every thing they could catch from squid to salmon , They would go to a so called place called the doughnut hole wich is the mystical place in the sea between Russia Japan and the USA , wich was not controled by any country , SOOO If you get busted you just say the doughnut hole is the most lucrative fishing spot in the bering sea ?/ Oh We have a real mystery , I THINK NOT , It;s been going on since the 200 mile limit , Duh Remember the Japanese use to fish for Black cod right off the coast ,And we had no law to restrain them , Then we made a new law Called the 200 mile limit ,
And finally west port etc has been shut down before , But I Very personally know , Because I longlined the coast of wash for Black cod the draggers are out there getting hake , This has been going on for a long time , I saw them and all the dead hake guts etc sours the water , Carol My Girlfriend worked for American sea foods And is sitting behind me telling me they drag it for hake and have been for sure five years she knows of , what about that bycatch ? What the heck effect do all those guts from the processors have on salmon ?How does it effect the food chain? I know the black cod did not really go on the bite untill the draggers were gone for a couple days , The draggers Kill And it is known that when they drag bottom fish they destroy the habitat on the bottom ! And don't salmon eat Sand lance or candle fish ?, Of wich don't sand lance breed on the bottom ? And don't herring spawn on Kelp beds ? Ok So how much habitat damage are we talking ? It's WDFW that allows this !
It is not just the river habitat , The native gill nets or the commercials , or the Anglers , It is poor management by the WDFW Period ! And one last swipe at the wdfw , My Dad was here fishing area 13 in the 70s , when WDFW let the draggers in Puget sound , And He said rock cod , And Salmon dissapeared ,
What was WDFW thinking ? Oh Thats right they don't think some how the draggers and commercials pressed them $$$$$

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
i hate to get in a political fishing tread because i dont know all the facts,but a statement was made about the californians coming up here to fish.seems to me ,thats what we all been doing to alaska and canada.since we dont have any big fish here people go to alaska and bamfield,fraszer river.i mean sorry, i am going to go where the fish are ,and im sure so is everyone else.i cant control what the higher muc muc are going to do.i join and help support the orga that are looking out for us, the fisherman.just an intresting note along the lines of this thread,thecanadians after taking the heat from the ca,or,wa about the wide open season for hali they have , has dropped the retention limit for the month of may from 2 halis to 1,june 1,it goes back to 2.the outher thing they did was to take away the e-licence ,you now have to run back up to cambell river for a hard copy.im sure this was directed at the charter guys out of neah that do canadian trips.there is a forum called sportfishingbc.there are some of the same feeling on that board as far as whos coming to fish as in this thread.i think people feel the same way no matter where your at.if there was alot of fish,nobody would care who fish where,but so it seems every year there less and less , so theres more of , thats my fish.if i live long enough to see it, i wonder what happens when alaska runs out of fish.this reply was not a flame on anybody just my thoughts, mic

1 - 12 of 12 Posts