Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is another “What’s your Favorite� question. This time it’s geared towards those who tie their own jigs.

What are your favorite jig tying materials? I personally like to use Schlappen.

Thanks
Jig’nk Murtha regards the finished products as divine revelation; and Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid seek to govern the nation based upon them. Whether by coincidence or, in the case of DailyKos and CounterPunch, by design, radical leftists and

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I just started, but so far marabou, what's the difference between that and Schlappen? I don't see Schlappen for sale....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RiverFishin said:
I just started, but so far marabou, what's the difference between that and Schlappen? I don't see Schlappen for sale....
Schlappen will be comming to our site soon as well as many other items. Schlappen doesn't seem to be as popular as Marabou and rabbit, but it does make a nice and very deadly jig.

Jig'n

·
Registered
222 Posts
Schlappen is a long wide webby cock hackle fromthe flank of the bird. It is stiffer than marabou and was and is used for body hackle and colars on spey and dee flys for steelhead.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Thanks, do you always palmer/wrap the schlappen then?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RiverFishin said:
Thanks, do you always palmer/wrap the schlappen then?
Yes, and that can be quite the task sometimes :D some feathers just refuse to be palmered conf: . You can also palmer Marabou too; it will create a big and bold jig.

Jig'n

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
I have a DVD that shows how to tie them, looks like a real skill, I just finally learned the technique for the whip tool this morning, now it seems so easy to use :D

·
Registered
520 Posts
i have tied lots of different patterns for steelhead and the most productive are the simple ones. marabou or yarn tails wrapped under chenille. schlapin or palmered marabou work great for jigs with no body(just head and feathers). Mike IMHO

1 - 13 of 13 Posts