Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Burbot, also known as a Fresh Water LingCod. It was about 36-inches long but I forgot to weigh it. We had it for dinner last night. It is an all white fleshed meat, not quite as sweet as Walleye but it has a nice mild flavor.

This one was caught off of the bank at the City Park on the south end of Banks Lake while fishing for Walleye and Lake Whitefish. It was caught on worms.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We will. Tup:

I have been fishing at night with a friend that just moved into town. He is Nez Perce. We have been going out for Walleye from shore but we pick up a Burbot once in a while. I would rather fish from my boat but the town launch has iced up for the year.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eggster said:
I love Burbot!!
Then come on over eggster. Banks lake is full of them.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SportJet said:
See you and the Mrs in February!
I will see you in February for sure. I am not sure the Mrs. will be there but I will be bringing a few other friends with me. Tup:

·
Registered
611 Posts
When I was going to school in Idaho we went to Clark Canyon resevoir and fished through the ice with sucker meet at night and they loved it. We caught a bunch.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Back in the day, we used to catch them on set lines in Lake Cle Elum. Deep fried with a tempura batter, ummmmm good. I have also caught a few in Lake Chelan on white twin tail scampi's on a 4 oz. lead head jig.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know that Dr. Hook caught one out of Rufus Woods last February too. Anyone else ever catch one?

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
A long time ago we put setlines in Lake Kecheelus sp? (at the I-90 summit) baited with chicken liver. Must have caught them all because after awhile we could never get anymore, and finally we just quit going. They sure made for some good munchies!
I don't think setlines are allowed in those mountain lakes anymore.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Nice fish! burbot are commonly caught targeting lake trout in chelan... lots of eastern washington lakes have them though! state record is 17lbs... sure would be nice to get one that size.. my largest is about 5-7lbs

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
yeah, we used to trot line and jug line for them in keechelus. was lots about 10 years ago but they have since outlawed that practice. probably for the better because some J.O.s would just leave them or get them tangled ion stumps and just leave them. we never made our own, we'd just wait for low water and collect the ones that these "sportsmen" had left. we used cubed squaw and minnows and left them over night. we'd set about 20-40 hooks and get about 1 burbot for every 3 hooks with some big boys.

i recall one guy who claimed he set 120 hooks for 2 nights and filled them all. its guys like this we can thank for our current situation.

good eating

1 - 15 of 15 Posts