Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Guys I'm working with buyers at Sportsmans Warehouse to get some electric reels in for halibut and was looking for input on what you guys use / have and what you like and dislike about them......

So lets here it ..... Tup:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I have four Electra-mate model 415HS that we have been using for Halibut the last 3 years and I love them. They are matched to PENN GT345 reels. The biggest halibut so far is 162 lbs with no problem.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Just get those Daiwa's in. They moved like hotcakes! Lightweight, and you can make it jig for you!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Keith,
I have two different sets of electric halibut reels. I have three of the precision auto reels that are bullet proof. They add onto the Penn 340s and 345s. They also have them that go to the Penn Senators. These are absolutely the heaviest duty electric reels on the market. They outlast everything there is, but they are heavy. I have been fishing halibut for many years and finally bought these after my buddy and I went to a 750' deep hole. I changed my thinking after pulling up to bait check with 3 pounds and releasing smaller halibut. When my wife is fishing with us for halibut in the ocean, which she does quite often, she refused to use her precision because of the weight. I think we were on Swiftsure fishing 330'. She said it was too heavy to jig. So she brought her fish up with the manuals. (Why did I spend so much money on electrics for her to use a manual reel?)

One of our PSA Sno-King members was getting the Daiwa Tanacom Bulls through his dad. These are the electrics, but they were all in Japanese. I had not tried them yet, but a bunch of our members got them and love them. They were a lot lighter than our precisions. I was doing some remodeling for Mike at Outdoor Emporium and he had the Daiwa SB500fe electric reels in his reel case. I kept eyeballing it and finally said what the heck and bought one for my wife. It was so light I couldn't believe it. About the same as a Penn manual reel. She was ecstatic. These are smaller than the Tanacom bulls and are in English.

I kept looking at hers and went back and bought me one. I got to thinking about these reels and really started wondering if the drags were going to be tough enough for a big halibut. First trip out to the straits. I threw a 3 pound pipe jig over and dropped it to the bottom. I brought it up at full speed and the drag was slipping. I kept tightening it until it quit slipping. For a little reel it had a huge drag. I was pretty impressed. My wife got the first fish on her new reel. She really liked it. My buddy JR got the next halibut with the precision. I turned around and Myles is doubled over the side laying on his rod. It was pounding like you could not believe. YEEE HAW. The fish was working him over. It was a big fish. It let loose with the barbless hooks. What a let down. I was jigging on my side of the boat and WHAM! This fish nailed mine on the run and I did not back the drag off. It had the rod straight down and I could not lift the rod as it was pointing straight down. This fish wash thrashing and running so hard it pulling it out of my hands. I almost lost my rod and reel over the side, but it swam into JRs and got tangled up to come off. We had a mess but I still had my high dollar rod and reel. So the drag passed the test. I should have backed it back off. This is one thing to remember in the straits where you are fishing shallower than the ocean. Sometimes these fish hit with such force that it could rip the rod out of your hands, so don't tighten the drag all of the way like you do in the ocean in 5-600 feet of water. This little reel passed the test.

These reels are computers so good connections are mandatory. I put Scotty DR plugs on them. I didn't use the new style of DR plugs as I am afraid if somebody falls in the boat when fishing the ocean (rocking waves) it will rip the wires out of the plug. Hard to repair in rocking waves. A voltage drop can cause them to weird out. So keep the connections in good shape. Sure makes connecting them easy.

These Daiwa reels are really tough reels and I took them out to the ocean. We brought big halibut up that were 750’. We fished them to 1250’ with 3 pounds of lead. This is something you would not do without electric reels. It opens up new fisheries for you using electrics. This was an area I found by studying charts and finally got the chance to do it.

When JD worked at OE. I had him spool up two of my Precisions mated to Penn 345s with 50 pound Power Pro with 1500 yards each. I have a couple of Canyons I have selected about 50-60 miles off shore that are very deep. They have some small plateaus in them. One is 1550 and the other is 2100’ deep. I have made some special very heavy pipe jigs to fish them. I would like to see how big some of lings are out there. This will be weather permitting. Now that I have 2 strokes on my boat I should have the range to get there. Hopefully this year will be the year to get that 100 pound lingcod where no one else fishes.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I would like to see the Precision auto reels also!! They are far lighter and just as tough as the Electromates!!They are made in North Carolina!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Daiwa ones are nice. Shimano Japan also makes electrics similar to the Daiwas.

I'd take two...but I've already reached my boat bucks expenditure limit for the year. sick:

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alrighty guys keep'em coming!!... Diawa was on the top of the list with eletramate and the dolphins ...... Tup:

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
Just remember.....Using the jigging function on the reel is illegal in Washington.

This is due to an interpretation that reels equiped with the jigging feature are no different than jigging machines, which are also illegal for sport use.

If caught the fine is stiff.

Just something to be careful with.

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Big_Daddy said:
Just remember.....Using the jigging function on the reel is illegal in Washington.

This is due to an interpretation that reels equiped with the jigging feature are no different than jigging machines, which are also illegal for sport use.

If caught the fine is stiff.

Just something to be careful with.
thanks for the heads up Big Daddy!! I did not know that!! Tup:

I wonder if playing ignorance would play any differance .... LoL... since I dont even know how to ban an IP :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,233 Posts
I am trying to find the specific rule covering this.

I know that the electric reels are fine to use: Just not the automatic jigging function, as I recall.

I know I have read this rule in some obscure place and right now, I can't remember where.

Maybe that rule has been changed. I will have to keep looking.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Fishnut said:
When JD worked at OE. I had him spool up two of my Precisions mated to Penn 345s with 50 pound Power Pro with 1500 yards each. I have a couple of Canyons I have selected about 50-60 miles off shore that are very deep. They have some small plateaus in them. One is 1550 and the other is 2100’ deep. I have made some special very heavy pipe jigs to fish them. I would like to see how big some of lings are out there. This will be weather permitting. Now that I have 2 strokes on my boat I should have the range to get there. Hopefully this year will be the year to get that 100 pound lingcod where no one else fishes.
Be careful....you might be swordfishin instead of lingin' (which wouldn't be all that bad) Tup:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Oops, I mean 4 strokes on my boat. Mileage is at leat double already!

·
Registered
50 Posts
my buddies and I have been using electramates for probably 6 years with no problems fishing 500'. Good winch but heavy. Be careful spending money on electrics, they are trying to ban them. just a heads up.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts