1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Easy Mexican Rice

Ingredients:

½ cup diced onion (white or yellow)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (olive is fine)
2 cups rice
1 small can (8 ounce) Hunt’s tomato sauce
1 can chicken stock
1 teaspoon chile powder
1 teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon salt

Heat oil over medium heat in a medium sauce pan. Add onions and salt and sauté until translucent. Add rice and brown making sure to cover all grains with oil.

Add chicken stock and water to equal the directions on rice ( I use jasmine and use 2 cups of rice and 2 2/3 cups liquid) then add tomato sauce, chile powder and cumin and mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover tightly and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff (mix well, the onion will all be on top), cover and let set another 5 minutes.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
cumin is powerful stuff I would reduce that amount..looks like a good easy way to make. Tup:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
reelinanrockin said:
cumin is powerful stuff I would reduce that amount..looks like a good easy way to make. Tup:
Try it and let me know what you think. I use Tones brand cumin from Sam's Club, it comes in a 55 gallon drum for a dollar (kidding, but it is a big container and cheap). I don't know if it's less powerful than some other brands but I started with1/2 teaspoon each cumin and chili powder and worked my way up. It is definitely more flavorful than your local Mexican restaurant's rice and it is very colorful too.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
If you like a little more flavor(mexi style) without being overbearingly hot, try El Pato instead or 1/2 tomatoe sauce, 1/2 El pato...its a mexican style tomato sauce, spiced up.
I like to brown the rice well like stated above, it prevents the rice from getting to poofy and soft. Nothing like good mexican rice.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Well we put this dish together over the weekend and it was great. We just used regular white rice and we threw in some diced red bell peppers but followed the instructions and amounts for all ohter ingredents. Fantastic! Thanks Don and Laura.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts