Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got confirmation for the eastern straits halibut fishery to open April 10. They were talking of taking away some of he first days off of our early opener. They had to shrink the season to fit the loss of about 6000 pounds. We asked for them to take it off of the back end of the Western Straits and they did. Thanks WDFW Lets get ready to fish.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Thats Great, way to go Fishnut!!!! I have never really fished it much,but this year I will be out there fishing for em.I'm already geared up......

·
Registered
992 Posts
Fishnut:

How solid were the opening days out on the ocean? You said in the seminar May 13,15,17.

Is that a logical guess, or a sure bet?

Just curious as I have to get the time off work for that fishery....

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks Fishnut!

My son an I enjoyed your seminar on Thursday. Didn't get a chance to introduce myself. But you got me all excited for the new season. Thanks for all the good info!!

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Fishnut said:
I got confirmation for the eastern straits halibut fishery to open April 10. They were talking of taking away some of he first days off of our early opener. They had to shrink the season to fit the loss of about 6000 pounds. We asked for them to take it off of the back end of the Western Straits and they did. Thanks WDFW Lets get ready to fish.
So why is it better to take days off the back end of the Western Straits and give to the Eastern Straits in April? What's the thnking?

The April weather is so unpredictable, I'd prefer to have the extra days later in the year in the Western Straits.

·
Banned
18 Posts
Dadgum it Ron. Will you quit trying to get all these crackers halibut fishing!! There's plenty of bass and planter trout for them to chase.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I will be out there burning gas this year again. Maybe this year I will figure out the finer points and be more successfull.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
SS- the halibut are migrating through here in better numbers early. Canadians start getting decent fishing in March.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
MA3/4 is May 13/15/17. Go ahead and set the dates. It is set.

The reason for not taking it off, or losing days, of the front part of the season, is in April we are at the last of the eastern migration and the fish are already starting to move west. So any later we are losing opportunity for the eastern season.

Normal years the majority of the halibut come in from the ocean in February to feed. They move around and start to leave in April. When we got it opened in April, we were asking for February though April season. The reason we didn't get February is we would quickly fill the poundage and they would have to shorten the season to fit the poundage. The season is set to meet the poundage as there is no quota. Just a poundage target.

By taking away the days on the April opener, we are losing out on the eastern straits halibut fishery. So it would take more opportunity away from us eastern guys. The PA guys and peninsula guys can easily fish east and west of Lowpoint or both seasons, which I would do if I lived out there. The early season for
east of Low Point is April 10-June 13
west of Low Point is may 22-July 21

Low Point longitude line is approximately N 123 49.72. Probably about 14-15 miles west of Port Angeles.

Glad you liked the seminar. I only had 50 minutes and packed in as much as I could in that time. I will be giving a presentation for at our PSA Sno-King Club meeting with Spud on April 10 at 6:30-the straits opener day with gear and set ups and a Powerpoint presentation.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One thing I would like to add is that in this fishery-cover a lot of ground. Work all kinds of humps and areas. Last year right before we got the opener, the tribes pulled either 52 or 62 halibut off of Partridge bank. So I wouldn't spend a lot of time working one area if it doesn't produce. There might n ot be fish there. Make sure you have a drift or moved by wind. I remember the first year we got it opened and on opening day my wife and I were jigging Dallas Bank. After 45 minutes of nothing, I looked at the chartplotter and we hadn't moved a hundred yards. I fired up the kicker and started moving, we got no where so we started owrking banks and humps with the kicker and we got fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts