Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People around the state are starting to catch bass a little bit more consistently now. Fish can be found in shallower water and activity levels are increasing. I have never kicked off a bassing season in march, but this year I intend to. So my question is, what is your earliest bass? By looking at dates on my pictures, I am going to say mid April was my earliest bass. Hopefully That will change in 2008.

Hey CK14, where are you? I remember you headed to Silver lake in mid march last year and hauled in a couple nice ones.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember that picture... remind me, how big was it? I too would imagine that western washington lakes warm up faster than in idaho. What city do you live in over in Idaho? I'm in Pullman going to WSU right now so we could be neighbors.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
The earliest bass I've ever seen caught on Lake WA, from shore (boat is a different story), was early to mid February. We had one of those sunny warm spells for a few days.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
fishinoriginal said:
I remember that picture... remind me, how big was it? I too would imagine that western washington lakes warm up faster than in idaho. What city do you live in over in Idaho? I'm in Pullman going to WSU right now so we could be neighbors.
3 or 4 pounds I guess, took my glory shot then released it. Caught it on a green/yellow spinnerbait I believe. I'm down by Boise.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
When I was really into bass fishing I would catch largemouth bass 12 months of the year. Mid- November to mid-February was the toughest period though I could find the occasional fish during those periods by focusing on slow rolled spinner baits and jig-n-pig in the heavy cover.

I have taken Largemouth as early as mid-Febraury on surface presentations.

If you want to fish the deep water (40 to 60 feet) in the large lakes you can take smallmouth pretty consistently if you do your homework. I do not fish those kinds of depths due to the potential of killing the fish to the "bends". By the time the water temperauters reach the mid-40s (by now) some smallies can be taken in less than 25 feet of water at least part of the time.

Tight lines
curt

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
middle of febuary a couple years back. i got two 4 pounders in two casts in the same spot in about 3 feet of water with a 4'' black senko

·
Banned
661 Posts
should have already happened for this weary bank maggot. the week long spells of high 40 to low 50's has not been helpful. missed plenty of opportunites in both(very) shallow and deeper areas. i feel tingly like when your on a roof and lightning is about to strike. yea them dry streak days are done.

·
Registered
190 Posts
This past year I actually caught Smallmouth during all twelve months of the year. It's alot of fun to follow them up and down and track their patterns with changes in the barometer, fishing pressure, etc... Greenies are a different story I think my earliest greeny to date is in the middle of march. The Smallies now however are all over! Course that can be a good thing and a bad thing, maybe easier to find one, but it's been hard to lock down a consistent pattern in the past few weeks. This should change as it warms up, those fish will get motivated to spawn and move up on those weedlines and spawning flats in late april and may, where they will be snapping at all kinds of stuff!

·
Administrator
13,956 Posts
March, although I haven't had any success yet this year. However, it won't be long now before Crazy Avis and I are catching fish like this on a regular basis.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey dude,

I graduated from WSU in 92'. We use to catch alot of smallies and crappie down in the Wawaii lagoon. We caught many on wooly buggers and leechs fly fishing. But we caught some monsters smallies and largemouth casting buzz baits and 5 inch rapalas next to any sticks out of the water. It was mid to late april. We also caught them on tube jigs and rooster tails. Further upriver there are some other lagoons off of the main river. They warm up first and fish move into them to spawn. Good luck

ag teacher

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
My earliest Washington bass was on April 1st. No fools joke either.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
March 16th produced a 5 and a 6lb largie (among a few others) in a spring-fed 100 acre king county lake in 1997-98 or so. Spinner baits rolled deep off the ends of docks. That was the earliest I can remember having a successful day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My earliest Largemouth bass was Jan 1, 1998. On Green Lake, WI. Through about 2 feet of ice. Came on a mousie and jig. It was a 10" dink. A friend got one about 3# same setup. Only bass I've ever seen taken through the ice.

Unfortunately, No luck on our target for the day --trophy pike. We did have one flag, but somehow, no hookup. The smelt we used as pike bait were about the same size as the bass I caught. Wish I had pics of that trip. It was a gorgeous day on the ice.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I have never fished for bass, just konda curious on how they taste, are they any good? Might have to give it a shot this year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts