Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a new fishfinder/gps combo and like the fishfinders on the Lowrances. I currently have a Garmin 188C with dual frequency 50/200 KHZ transducer. I see a lot of units on eBay with single 200 KHZ transducers. My question: Do any of you use the dual frequency function when fishing for salmon in Puget Sound or do you use mostly the 200 KHZ setting because you're fishing at depths usually less than 200 feet?

Peter

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I use it a lot because with the 50KHZ I can see exactly where my down rigger ball is. I used to use the 200KHZ more but once I got the 50KHZ dialed in, when I am on the Sound I almost exclusively use it.

·
Premium Member
1,240 Posts
I have had dual frequency transucers on all my Lowrance units I have had. I used the 50 KHZ a handful of times. When I upgraded last Spring, I ordered a single 200KHZ. The dual unit is about a third bigger than the single 200 skimmer. I believe there are different degree of cones as well as frequency's.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Both will be used depending on what you are doing. When Brad Heacock(Marine Installations-Tacoma) installed mine he suggested buying a second transducer(switch between the two) and I would have but because of lack of space on my transom we decided not to do it.Which one you use will depend on depth,speed,style of fishing etc. If are thinking about a lowrance unit I would suggest talking to him. (253) 686-9833

1 - 4 of 4 Posts