Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Its that time of year to check all the gear on the boat. I got a new VHF (ICOM) and FishFinder (Lowrance-Older-from cabelas bargain cave) and cannot for the life of me get the Position from the GPS to the VHF. Can some one help who has done NMEA Icom to Lowrance?

What I have:

Icom VHF Side
Yellow NMEA in + huh???
Green NMEA in _ double huh?

get this
Lowrance
Yellow NMEA OUT
Blue NMEA out
Orange ???
Bare Shield ground

* I was told by an Icom guy with a tick in his shorts that the - goes to the bare shield and the Green ... okay negative to ground sure... Nothing!

** Id like to hook up the 20 ga. or so wires NON PERMANENTLY (excuse all these flashy terms) but cannot find a disconnect (double pole) small enough to do so. THis is so (DUH) I can remove the devices when the boat is to be secured.

Guys- Save me

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had to do this a few times when I was rigging at 3rivers.. As I recall,the vhf only receives info from the gps, but does'nt send any back..So I believe the Icom guy was right, yellow to yellow and green to shield...And then look in your Icom manual and see what format it uses and then go into the menu on the lowrance and make sure it's compatible and that its enabled .. You might also have to turn on a nmea port ....I did see once when when two units were flatout incompatible so I know its possible...But if both of your's are pretty new, then I'll bet they'll work...I use bullet connectors on those and if their a little to big, just take off more insulation and fold the wire a couple of times then dielectric grease and crimp...

Hope this helps,
silverhammer

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not too hard. Most GPS units have 2 NMEA 0183 outputs, and VHFs have a receive capability (position). Do you have the instructions that came with the gear?

For disconnect, I use GM weatherpak connectors and shrinkwrap- they are gasketed to keep moisture out, and can be obtained at any auto parts store. Just figure out the connections, solder the appropriate wires to the correct terminals, and shrinwrap the wires for strength.

Pull the units, pop the connections, and you're on your way...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I had good diagrams- The lowrance ones are generic and do not correspond. I guess I need something online.

I will keep looking . Thanks for the advice on the connections .

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay- This fresh from Mike at Icom- Who was awesome by the way, and I am writing this for the archives in case anyone else does an Icom to Lowrance DSC hookup. He said to hook the I-yellow to the L-yellow and then the I green to the L black on the POWER otherwise it would not work. And suggested the headphone jack style plugs from Radio Shack! I have never seen a 20 gauge bullet connector although people keep mentioning them like somkind of white whale or unicorn.

-Well after a ton of HEAD SCRATCHING I mean a ton, I just tried a new connector and it worked fine. But beware that these connections are so touchy. Might want to check em.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts