Dry Rub, any recipes? | Page 2 | Gamefishin.com

Dry Rub, any recipes?

Discussion in 'The Outdoor Chef! Great outdoor cooking' started by Anonymous, Sep 23, 2013.

1. mr.Goodbar

mr.Goodbar Member

Ok, did some salmon this weekend, but couldn't remember the ratio I used for dry brine. Came on this site to find that I couldn't find anything until the weekend was over! (or at least until I already made/used the brine.) I was going to use a 2:1 ratio but thought that was too salty. Did 10lbs brown sugar (4lbs golden brown, 6lbs dark) with 3 lbs kosher salt - added a dumping of sea salt in, but not sure I had more than a 1/2 - 1 lb of that, so it was less than 2:1, but more than 3:1.

I added a healthy dose of cayenne pepper, some ground ginger and mustard and about 3 cloves of freshly squeezed garlic.

Mixed it all up good and let sit overnight after layering it (about 20-22 hrs total.) Rinsed each piece real good and let sit for about an hour before going in the smoke.

It came out a little salty. Wondering if this could be from all the fish being really skinny looking pink fillets? (so maybe the time was too long?) Maybe because I couldn't get the temp down in the smoker and I only had about an hr and half of smoke time?

Mixed 1/2 mesquite, 1/2 pecan chips with a sprinkling of cherry on top. Several people said it was really good, but I still think it was too salty.

2. mr.Goodbar

mr.Goodbar Member

I see the post now referencing Salmon University - I forgot that was where I got the recipe - I was thinking here. I saw something on another fish site that mentioned 2:1 brown sugar to salt, and thought that was too much. I see Salmon U has a 4:1 recipe - I think this is the one I used before that was soOOOOO good. Now I have to remember Salmon U recipe, add some spice and smoke!

Search tags for this page
dry brine for kokanee
dry rub for smoked kokanee
dry rub for smoking kokanee
dry rub for smoking kokanee salmon
kokanee smoking rubs
rub for kokanee forsmoking

smoked kokanee recipe dry rub