Dry Rub, any recipes? | Gamefishin.com

Dry Rub, any recipes?

Discussion in 'The Outdoor Chef! Great outdoor cooking' started by Anonymous, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

so having a plethora of salmon right now I decided I would like to try a dry rub for the first time. anyone have a good recipe and directions?
    Thanks Tup:

2. pugslyjr

pugslyjr New Member

I use brown sugar and salt. I line a aluminum roasting pan with plastic wrap, then put some mix on the bottom, then the skin of the fish down, then more mix, then flesh of fish down, skin up and fill in with mix. Cover with plastic wrap and sit in refridgator 24 hours. Then take out wash the fish let dry for about an hour and into the smoker.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks odie, I did find the recipe and directions on salmon U so just did 3 fish in that, cant wait to see how it is, what difference do you notice if any?

4. pugslyjr

pugslyjr New Member

I get rave reviews. Not as salty.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

thats why i stuck with a wet brine for so long i used soy sauce and cut the salt down, im only going to go for 6 hours and see how i like it. i love my set brine but man the soy sauce is so expensive now, even buying a 5 gallon bucket a season at costco its a PITA always running out. this cust that out, the brown sugar i get at costco for $10 a 25 lb bag so its cheaper :mrgreen:

6. mr.Goodbar

mr.Goodbar Member

I think dry brine tastes just as good. Most ingredients in wet brine don't penetrate the surface of the meat. If you like the extras add them towards the end. Also, dry brine holds up better IMHO. 2 parts brown sugar 1 part salt.

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

the recipe i used was 1 part brown sugar 1/4 salt

8. codliveroil

codliveroil New Member

From My Dad dry brined since I remember , Shake a light layer of salt on them , About what they would look like if you used shake and Bake on them , Small fish like pinks dry brine for 30 to 40 minutes , A big King for up to 1.5 hours , Rinse, Put on the racks.Let them dry and smoke them ,Or I shake a little brown sugar on and let it dissolve . I do not rinse it off , or dribble a little real maple syrup on them as they are on the dry rack . Don't rinse that off either.Excess will drip off any way
    What I like about dry brine is > They are done and on the dry rack right away . What I don't like about dry brine ... If you forget and let the salt sit on them too long , The fish will be way too salty .And If you have a lot of fish you use a lot of salt , The main thing about dry brine for me is . Write the start time down and get a feel for this . My dad says Pickling salt is the way to go , I say Use one type , Rock salt works slower , Pickling salt seems the fastest . Regular morton table salt works . But use the same type because rock salt will not make it very salty in 1 hour , But pickling salt will

9. codliveroil

codliveroil New Member

And whats the plethora species ?

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

pinks and hos Tup:

11. codliveroil

codliveroil New Member

Good for you !!!!!

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

oh and last week included one small metal head, im not a huge steelhead fan so he got smoked :lol:

13. bing

bing Active Member

not really a rub, but I like garlic salt to taste and a dusting of flour skin side up in a hot skillet with about a teaspoon of olive oil

14. Kokanee Kid

Kokanee Kid Active Member

2 cups brown sugar
    1/2 cup pickling salt
    Brine for 8 he's
    Rinse and pat dry
    Air dry on rack 1hour
    Light even coat of brown sugar
    Sprinkle of lemon pepper
    Smoke it up
    When done, place in zoplock bags
    refrigerate and turn when u can
    Eat the next day

This is all I use any more, easy and consistant

15. fishslave

fishslave Well-Known Member

I have turned salmon non eaters into salmon eaters with this one. I KNOW it sounds odd, but the taste is awesome. It's not t dry rub, it's a sort of damp rub.

Fresh slab of properly cleaned and handled salmon
    olive oil
    Garlic Salt
    Lemon pepper
    garlic powder

You can cedar plank this, but just heavy duty foil works fine.

Place the salmon slab on foil, skin side down. Coat it with olive oil. Generously sprinkle the garlic salt on. Sprinkle lemon pepper on liberally.

Do it again. That's right. You want a lemon pepper crust! Sprinkle on the garlic powder at the end, and gently press it all into the fish.

BBQ as usual and don't over cook. A few wet chips of alder on the side are good too.

Search tags for this page
dry brine for kokanee
dry rub for smoked kokanee
dry rub for smoking kokanee
dry rub for smoking kokanee salmon
kokanee smoking rubs
rub for kokanee forsmoking

smoked kokanee recipe dry rub