Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for first boat here. Searching all year, looking everyday, haven't found a boat yet. I'm just too picky, I know trying to find the "one" elusive do-it all boat. Anyhow, seeing that I normally fish rivers around here because I'm bank bound. I want to see if a drift boat would work for me. What's the pros/cons to a drift boat? What kind of fishing can you do on it? I guess if your up for rowing you can take the kids on a lake for perch fishing? Just trying to get a sense of what a drift boat will do. I do see the downside that you need 2 trucks to drift down a river. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Drift boats can be very flexible. You can fish a lot of river not accessible from the bank.

For lake use you can usually mount an electric motor, or even a small gas motor to some. Drift boats make good lake boats to take kids out on the lake, due to their good stability and high sides.

Draw-backs include the need for two vehicles, most of the time. A lot of rivers have near-by businesses that offer shuttle services or rig spotting, which is always cheaper than running a second rig. When I've fished with my buddy and we've used a shuttle, he brings the boat, and I pay for the shuttle. I get the better end of that deal for sure! If it's a busy river, sometimes you can hitch a ride with another fisher. I've given, but never asked for a ride.

The rower can't be as active in the fishing as the riders. It's nice to switch-off the rowing duties, if you've got a capable rower with you. It's nearly impossible to fish solo out of a drifter, unless you're doing a lot of stop and go.

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you buy a drift boat perhaps buy a honda spree also. That way you can fish alone if necessary.
Downside to a driftboat can't fish the same hole twice.
I promise you this whatever you get you won't want to bank fish again. wink:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen some drift boats with like a 9hp kicker motor mounted on the back. Is the motor used only for short returns to a good hole, perhaps just a short run?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
You know... not sure if it is your style or not.... but there are a couple of videos out. I won't name the names but they are available at the sporting goods stores. If you watch'em, you get a good feel about the dirft boat pros and cons. And if your like me, you will want one... wink:

Might think about going on a guided trip also? Call it research.... Tup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
call Clackacraft and get their DVD. It is really good and free. It will teach you about the boats and how to row them.
Kirk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts