Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone have an opinion on what knot is best to secure your anchor? Also, what amount of anchor line do you think is sufficient for rivers?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
A bowline is not a surge knot ,A carrik bend Or a buoey or barrel knot will Only tighten, And is a good surge knot ,I tied boueys to thousands of crab pots and we never used the bowline because it is not a knot that will stay tight on a surge, is used for that an application when the line or rope is to remain tight ,But the other knots are for when you have a lot of motion , I assume you will be looking at your anchor knot a few times so if it starts getting lose retye it , If you lose your anchor just remember If your gear doesn't come back on the other end don't tie it like that again , Oh Yeah try not to use that slick Poly or nylon rope iether , there are more abrasive braid rope that holds a knot better than Nylon , nylon has it's uses but it is difficult to grab and pull and doesn't hold a knot well , Has a long stretch ,and floats , If you want it to float then poly or nylon is what you want, we used to use a product called manline

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow that easy! Thanks guys, I thought a bowline might loosen up, but if you guys don't have a problem, I'm sure it'll be fine. Tup:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
codliveroil said:
A bowline is not a surge knot ,A carrik bend Or a buoey or barrel knot will Only tighten, And is a good surge knot ,I tied boueys to thousands of crab pots and we never used the bowline because it is not a knot that will stay tight on a surge, is used for that an application when the line or rope is to remain tight ,But the other knots are for when you have a lot of motion , I assume you will be looking at your anchor knot a few times so if it starts getting lose retye it , If you lose your anchor just remember If your gear doesn't come back on the other end don't tie it like that again , Oh Yeah try not to use that slick Poly or nylon rope iether , there are more abrasive braid rope that holds a knot better than Nylon , nylon has it's uses but it is difficult to grab and pull and doesn't hold a knot well , Has a long stretch ,and floats , If you want it to float then poly or nylon is what you want, we used to use a product called manline
i did not say those knots just for the fact that you can get a bowline undone no matter how hard you pull on it if its done properly. carrik and a bouy are good we use those three on the salmon and herring boat many times a day.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Fish Boy said:
codliveroil said:
i did not say those knots just for the fact that you can get a bowline undone no matter how hard you pull on it if its done properly. carrik and a bouy are good we use those three on the salmon and herring boat many times a day.
FYI Thats what I meant they will only tighten , Meaning they probably won't loosen except with a knife ,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts