Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen:

As usual, I'm looking for advice as the boys and I learn about PNW fishing... I have heard that Drano Lake is supposed to have a great return of Chinook this year... Would love to take the boys down and see if we can't hook into some... I have never been there and know nothing about it... Can any of you give us some good advice such as:

1) Where do we launch the boat.

2) Any specifics on where it is best to fish the lake? For that matter, is it a lake, or just a wide spot on the Columbia?

3) What tackle and fishing method. I have heard downrigging works well.

I appreciate any advice that any of you can give, and promise that I will keep the tradition of sharing knowledge alive and well, once I gain some!!! Tup:

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Lots of the bumpers. You will be playing bumber boats out there this year.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can anyone tell me how they net Drano? and what it is like fishing on a Tuesday while they are netting? and is it even possible?

·
Registered
712 Posts
northriver said:
Can anyone tell me how they net Drano? and what it is like fishing on a Tuesday while they are netting? and is it even possible?
First off the Tribes net Drano on Wed so that is why it is closed, Tues usually fishes good but Thursday can be lights out.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Swanny, I heard that they net on Tuesday, and wednesday is a no fishing recovery day..lol however my source is not that reliable. now i have 2 differnet stories, grr

·
Registered
712 Posts
northriver said:
Swanny, I heard that they net on Tuesday, and wednesday is a no fishing recovery day..lol however my source is not that reliable. now i have 2 differnet stories, grr
North River they net Tues Night @ Midnight which makes Wed Morning...They also net sometimes @ Wed that way they can get 2 nettings in the same day. Tdown:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
northriver said:
do they set their nets, under the bridge, at the river mouth or beach sein. or a commercial troller? lol
just you standard gillnetting, no beach seining. they may put there nets under the bridge but i think they might be set netting.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
as to where at Drano...

join the boats over by the bridge, fish the usual variety of springer offerings: prawn-spinner, spinner-cutplug herring, wiggle wart w/scent, other plugs and troll round & round & round & round & round & round & ROUND & ROUND...the same circle area all day, waiting for the bite to turn on while dodging plugs w/big treble hooks tossed your direction from the bank anglers.
After a few hours of this, you may want to troll the pathway by the rock slide or down the middle heading east.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Man just take a orange Magnum Wiggle Wart throw it 50 foot behind the boat and troll the main lake. Gonna be crowded be prepared for long lines and lots of boats. The launch is in the middle part of the lake off hwy 14. You'll know you past it if you hit the tunnel.

In the last 2 months I know of 4 seminars on Drano lake and Spring Chinook all in different areas and various time frames on the west side for anglers wanting to learn if nothing else the basics. 2 were this weekend one of those by one the best and most knowledgeable Drano Lake guides around, Eli of Hot Shot Guide Service. All these seminars were free and I think all but one was giving lots free stuff out. The value of these seminars verse trying to figure out the basics yourself can't be beat.

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
The best way to learn the area is to book a trip with a top notch guide like Mystical Legend. You'll learn more in one day than you could ever learn any other way. Tup:

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Dr Hook said:
The best way to learn the area is to book a trip with a top notch guide like Mystical Legend. You'll learn more in one day than you could ever learn any other way. Tup:
Thanks Bruce, maybe I came off kinda harsh. Just trying to make a point that there has been alot of FREE info out there not just on Drano but on just about every fishery we have. It's pretty cool and makes it very easy for most to be very productive right from the get go. And it's so easy to get these days especially if your willing to look for it just for a couple hours. I didn't mean for it to come sounding like you need to book a trip with me to learn..I think I'm full anyway. :cool:

Now Summer Steelhead are another story. :D NOW BOOKING SUMMER STEELHEAD.

·
Administrator
13,955 Posts
Phil I didn't read anything into your post and there's no hidden meaning in mine. Tup:

The best way to learn any area is to fish it with someone who knows what their doing. Tup:

·
Registered
500 Posts
I love the intensity of Drano and seeing the Familiar faces and the Beauty of the Gorge. That is why I fish there.

Plugs are funny there.. Some say its Mag warts and M2sp then you see a boat hook up on a K16 flat lined, my buddy knocked them dead on K11x.. You'll find out really quick whats working..

Bring herring, Prawns, plugs and sardines and moisturizer for your face so it doesn't get wind burned!

My plan is to Get in, get my fish and Get out!

·
Registered
565 Posts
FastAction said:
I love the intensity of Drano and seeing the Familiar faces and the Beauty of the Gorge. That is why I fish there.

Plugs are funny there.. Some say its Mag warts and M2sp then you see a boat hook up on a K16 flat lined, my buddy knocked them dead on K11x.. You'll find out really quick whats working..

Bring herring, Prawns, plugs and sardines and moisturizer for your face so it doesn't get wind burned!

My plan is to Get in, get my fish and Get out!
Sounds like a great plan to me! Tup:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Dr Hook said:
Yep, April 18th that's what I'll be doing!!!! I'm getting so pumped just thinking about it now!!! By the way, what is the limit per person going to be at Drano this year??

Also Phil, I sent you a PM.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts