Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I was just hoping for some input on downrigger rod selections, what you use and why. I am looking both for a good kokanee/trout downrigger rod and then also a good salmon rod too.
I do know that Lamiglass makes a good one, the 76ul and that seems like a good rod. I also know Berkley IM7 makes a good 10'6 light action rod that seems like it would work well too. What other rods do you all use? I was looking at the Shimano lineup and they make a few inexpensive ones. Do any of you use ugly sticks?

Then for Salmon,
I know the Classic glass lamiglass rod is a good one. Also the Cabelas rods seem like they will do just fine also, and I know Shimano makes a good one also.
So what so you all use and why etc.
thanks for the info
JDL

·
Registered
524 Posts
I buy cheap, slow action downrigger rods, typically fiberglass. I like them because they load up well, and the slow action helps keep the hooks set during a fight. Put the high modulus graphite in your drift-fishing gear, IMHO, where you actually are trying to feel the difference between the bottom and a take.

For trout/kokanee, I'd buy 9' or longer Okuma Celilo noodle rods. Load up well, very inexpensive.

For salmon, I like the Shimano TDRs, but the killer deal was the under-$20 deal that OE had (has?) on Daiwa "wilderness" downrigger rods... Again, go 9' or longer, but what a bargain.

·
Registered
421 Posts
For Salmon I use Loomis GL2 HSR 1021C and 1023C with Shimano Charter Special Leverdrag or Shimano Calcutta TE 401 with braided line.

They are fun with smaller silvers fish but can lift a big chinook no problem.

·
Registered
474 Posts
For inexpensive downrigger rods the shimano tdr rods are great for salmon.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The Irish Rogue was right about the Daiwa Wilderness rod. We still offer it at the Outdoor Emporium for under $20.00 ($14.99 TO $19.99 DEPENDING ON THE MODEL) everyday.

I am a personal fan of the Shimano Convergence Rod. Offered up to 10'6 in length, it has a slow "parabolic" bend/action and comes with a limited lifetime warranty with "over the counter" replacement for only $59.99!! A terrific deal on a quality yet affordable downrigger rod-- makes a good keeper-size sturgeon rod, as well!

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am looking for a kokanee rod myself since I am starting to get a little addicted to this fishery to the point where I might need some help.

As for the Salmon rod I have had used several different rods in the past as I am 39 years old, but never an expensive rod like G-loomis or Lamiglas. I bought a Cabela's downrigger rod 6 years ago and probably will never buy a different brand again as I am extremly happy with this rod as well as the Cabela's depthmaster gold reel. I love this combo and have bought it for my four boys also and have had at least 5 friends purchase them since using mine. They are inexpensive and I have not known anyone who has had a problem with them. At $60.00 for the combo you will never find anything that will stand up to what this will. If my four boys can use these for the last 3 years and not have a problem, any adult would be happy. I cannot understand why people spend so much more on a downrigger setup than this??? Maybe a river rod setup but not saltwater, you will find nothing even close to this for the price. I take peoples opinions who have actually owned these items not people who new someones brother or read that someones sisters, friends boyfriends, plumber didn't like it. I own one combo with a depthmaster gold for trolling and one with a depthamaster with a line counter for bottomfishing. Buy it you won't be disappointed. I am thinking about buying the innerflow rod combo next to see if I like it, if not the reel is worth the price alone.

·
Registered
550 Posts
dont fish for kokenee, but i do love 9'6"-10' ugly stciks for salmon. very durable, and great action, usualy about 59.99 so reasonably cheap compared to the hi end rods like lamiglas and so on

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Hey ******* - when you coming back? Gonna make it back for lings with me and Bucky? Sorry -I too like the shimano convergence rods.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Cheez,
dont know when i will be back, should be end of the month or first of next, but the end of April the little one is scheduled to be here, looking at 21 april for the due date!! so dont know how much fishing i will get to do this year, dont think you are allowed to take newborns on the boat, and i imagine she want be able to handle her own rod for a while!!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I really don't like when threads get hijacked. But I got to say congrats to ******* Yacht and his wife on the upcoming babino, and his safe return back home.

Back to the scheduled downrigger rods. :D

·
Registered
693 Posts
the "fly" and i have three simano convergence in the north river with charter specials. sweet set up in my opinion. those reels are the only ones i have used where you can thumb them while lowering the downriggers and they dont jerk and do the "zzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz while setting them. they are very smooth.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
I use 10' Shimano Convergance with a slow action and medium taper. I like the longer rods for keeping fish out of the engines,and the long rods also load really well on the DR.

My brother got one of the Cabelas DR rods when he bought his Scotty from them. Hes actually had to have Cabelas replace the rod 4 different times. It keeps breaking on him. Cabelas steps up and sends him a new rod,but the ones they send him are JUNK.

·
Registered
145 Posts
JD:

I am new to this, so take my comments with a grain of salt...

I am using the Shimano TDR glass rods for downrigging salmon... They load up nice, and I am just a fan of a "softer rod" as these are what I grew up with... I just can't get comfortable with the stiffness of graphite... I tried the Okuma Celilo rods, but broke two of them this winter! Guy at Joes said, "they get returned all the time"...

For reels, I am using the Shimano TR-200... So far I have had no problems whatsoever with the reel... John at John's Sporting Goods indicated that for the money he did not feel they could be beat.

For Kokanee, I am fishing the Lamiglas Kokanee rod... While they are graphite, they are softer.

I wish you well in your search...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I use a Fetha Styx, Rainshadow blank for my downrigger rod. You can really load these rods up without worrying you're going to break it in half. Amazing sensitivity and great dual purpose. The lighter rods would be great for trout and silvers.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all of the great feed back and info, I like hearing from those who actually use the rods they recommend and appreciate all of the info. I will be getting the rods soon, I have the downriggers mounted and now just need 2 rods, 2 balls a couple of releases, etc. Will be all set soon and ready to hit the water. Does anyone have any preferred releases that they use and why? I am used to and comfortable with the cannon stackers, clip one to the cable and one to the line, but know some release from the ball and others use long realeases etc.
What about downrigger balls? I am used to using 8lb balls at flaming Gorge in Utah, but hear you need 10lb here for the sound or more and have heard some use a 15lb ball in the sound. As for lakes I have heard 6-8, I am thinking about going with two 10lb balls and using them for all applications or getting two 10's and 2 6lb balls, cabelas has 6lb balls on sale online for less that ten bucks. Also does it make a difference if they are painted or plain lead color, and is there any reason I need to buy a painted one? I have used riggers on by Grandpas boat for years but this is my first time setting it up on my own boat.
JDL

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How about the Shimano Talora rods? How are they and are they a good way to go or are there better rods for the price?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
As far as line releases go, can't beat the Pro Release but they aren't made anymore (from what I hear). I could only find one at Auburn Sports/Marine. Next choice would be the Scotty releases. I use the 60" length (allows you to keep the ball in the water at all times when lure changing, etc.). I have a lot of freeboard on my boat too. For rigger weights, if you're fishing the sound, you'll probably need at least 10#, if not 12# or even 15#. I alternate between 12# and 15# depending on how deep I'm fishing (fish deeper, use a heavier weight). Don't need to buy the painted or vinyl coated ones. Just makes them look "pretty". If you get yourself a few of those weight holders (Scotty makes them), you can set the weight in the holder and keep it off your boat deck. Be sure to rinse them off with fresh water after you're done using them for the day.

On the rods, I use Lamiglass XCF903 rods in 9'-6" with Shimano Tekota 600lc reels. Love them.

Good luck.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
jdlunk said:
How about the Shimano Talora rods? How are they and are they a good way to go or are there better rods for the price?
I have a couple of those, and they are a good rod for the price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts