Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about these scents? How are they made? from what?

Do you really think there needs to be Grouse/pheasant/quail etc.?

Would a dog care what species of bird so long as it was strong enough to locate and smells like a bird?

From my limited experience, I'm not sure I have hunted with a dog that shows a preference to one species of bird over another at least where upland species are concerned.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I tried them when my Gordon Setter was a pup but I really don't know if they worked or not. Live birds are the key. You can still work your dog on the wild birds till the first of April and start again the first of August. It's called the dog training season in the regs, just have to have a current license in your pocket. Put his training collar on him and go out just like a hunt. I would suggest carrying your gun unloaded when you do. When I go out with my dog if I don't carry a gun or a long stick he thinks we are just out for a run and doesn't hunt as seriously.

·
2,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the idea of hiding his traing dummies in the pasture. They are wrapped with pheasant wings, and tail feathers. I was wondering if these "training scents" added anything a bit more fresh to the mix.

He will search and find that dummy now no matter where I throw it now. So I have been laying them into the pasture and then starting him at one end walking with me. That removes the visual toss into the air, and requires only the nose to do the locating.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I don't think the scents are necessary at this point. Your idea of using wings is just fine. If a dog did not have the experience that your pup has already it might be helpful.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I like to mix it up a little so they don't get use to the same routine and when birds are not available. Also there are a lot of hunt test for waterfowl and upland in this area that are worth checking out.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I think it makes a dif...I even use it on live planted birds. I usually use pheasant scent...even if the bird I am planting is not a pheasant. Wash your hands. Your wife will not like the smell of that stuff in her house.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
gear addict said:
I think it makes a dif...I even use it on live planted birds. I usually use pheasant scent...even if the bird I am planting is not a pheasant. Wash your hands. Your wife will not like the smell of that stuff in her house.
Tell me about it. I was teasing my pup with the bottle one day and he went crazy and made me spill a little on the carpet. :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts