Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't fished steelies for years and just started again. I've noticed that a lot of people float fish for steelhead now. Do most fisherman float fish for them now? At the 3 Rivers seminar, they were saying that drift fishing is now considered "old school". My question is, how many still drift fish for steelhead? Or does it depend on how everyone around you is fishing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
Drift fishing is awesome, I do it all the time. I would say its still widely used by a lot of the older veteran fisherman and very effective.

Most of the newbies fish floats and jigs all the time, its easy and effective. I do it all the time as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,263 Posts
Yes but if everyone else is float fishing a hole I wouldn't just start drifting through them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
Just depends on the conditions, in higher faster water I'll drift fish. Other wise I'll use floats and sometimes spoons. Floats just allow you to hit water that otherwise is impossible to drift fish and you get far less snags.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,347 Posts
if you read the hot cowlitz nites post all the fish there were caught drifting. drifting is far more productive for me, i just havent really figured out the whole bob and jig thing yet, i know it works well i have seen, but i always do better drifting.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,460 Posts
Depends on the conditions and what the people around me are fishing. A good tool belt contains more than just a hammer.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,114 Posts
Drift fishing for me. I like to feel the bite. I will however fish a jig and float in certain conditions and in holes where they are the method of fishing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Yes. drift fishing is my #1 tool for steelies. I will use float/jig once in a great while in slow water where I can't get a drift, But otherwise, it's drift gear for me. Drifiting is the most fun, IMO.

(I'll occaisionally use spoons or spinners too.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
I am one of the beginners Red was talking about but I actually caught my first steelie drifting. I don't really have a preference, just do what ever the conditions/water dictate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for clearing that up. I was under the impression no one drift fishes anymore. That's the way I've always fished but I'm getting into float fishing a little more. Like some of you said, it's all about the conditions and I come prepared to fish either way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,950 Posts
99% of the time I drift fish for steelies, the other 1% I float fish for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,198 Posts
Whats a jig?

I've got a box full of jigs in my vest but only 1 or 2 of them have ever seen action. I'll be slinging eggs or hardware about every time I'm on the water. I'd rather resort to the old dupont spinner before tossin a float/jig.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
i only drift fish every day i get the chance bobbers are good , try to drift 1 on a long cast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,209 Posts
If I know that fish should be in the hole or I see one or two roll and I know they may be holding, Ill fish it with everything until I get the fish. I like to start out with floats and jigs for a quick view and if nothing, Ill switch to drifting bait and if still nothing I usually start throwing spoons and if I still don't get anything I just throw all my gear in the water and go home pouting like a baby. :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top