Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I know I am opening a big can of bait here, but! I am looking at buying a new truck in the next couple of months and have narrowed it down to Dodge and Chevy. Which ever it ends up it will be a 3/4 ton 4x4 crew cab auto with a gas motor. Both v8 engines ( 5.7 Hemi and 6.0 Vortec ) are pretty close in HP so right now it's boiling down to warranty and price. I would like to know if anyone has delt with this Dodge forever warranty yet ( though it is fairly new ) and if there has been any problems with claims. Also wondering if anyone has heard of any problems with either truck. Also would like some feed back on dealerships in the Seattle / Tacoma area.

·
Registered
946 Posts
That one's a tough question, there both really nice truck's. I've alway's been a chevy guy then my brother bought a 2007 dodge ram and it's a damn nice truck. Tup:
He's alway's been a chevy guy also and this is his first dodge,he seem's to be very happy with it. One of the reason's he went with the dodge was the price difference.
The chevy was 12,000 more. Tdown: I'm sure he will see this post and chime in.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
2004 Dodge 3/4 4x4 4door w/ hemi we love the truck no problems at all the only thing I would change is the seat could be a little cushier other than that o complaints.My wife likes the service at Bremerton dodge they seem to be pretty thorough when she takes it in for oil changes and such.I have a Dodge caravan that I bought used for a work beater and have swung by the Dodge dealer off 38th and South Tacoma way they were real helpful both times I went to them, in fact one time a mechanic spent a half hour checking out my van found what was wrong and told me how to fix it no charge. Next time I buy a new truck I probably will give them a shot at it because of how helpful he was .Sorry I cant help as far as the warranty. I do know I would not buy a Chevy at this point and time , we go through a lot of new ones at work and it just seems like they are always in for warranty work. I have owned Ford,Chevy and Dodge trucks in the past,so I really don't care who the manufacture is.Check the prices since your buying new ,if you buy locally see if they will match or beat Dave Smith Motors prices.
good luck

http://www.usautosales.com/

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I have 2 Chevy HD2500 work trucks and 4 12,000 gross Chevy box vans, all with the 6.0 liter. That is one heck of a motor. I even have a 6.0 liter in my North River. There has not been one issue with the motor in any vehicle, only the boat with a bad ECM. The only thing to go bad after 90,000 miles in two trucks was the front wheel bearing pack, a sealed unit that costs $350 each.
I don't think I would buy another chevy truck though, I really don't like the new body style. Next gas truck will probably be a Toyota.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
The Hemi is a great motor, super strong, and also gets great mileage.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Red Neckersom said:
I don't know myself, but I've heard they are not that great on mileage...

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram Quad cab with the 5.7 Hemi. Between Chevy and the Dodge, the Chev probably gets better mileage but the Dodge will be cheaper. The Hemi gets about 13 mpg around town and 20-22 on the freeway but the power and torque are great.

Searanger, I have a couple of stories about the service department down there at Tacoma Dodge that are the opposite of your experience. No dealership is perfect but when servicing a transmission I think it should be standard procedure to replace the ATF fluid that they remove. ;)

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram Quad cab with the 5.7 Hemi. Between Chevy and the Dodge, the Chev probably gets better mileage but the Dodge will be cheaper. The Hemi gets about 13 mpg around town and 20-22 on the freeway but the power and torque are great.

Searanger, I have a couple of stories about the service department down there at Tacoma Dodge that are the opposite of your experience. No dealership is perfect but when servicing a transmission I think it should be standard procedure to replace the ATF fluid that they remove. ;)
That maneuver would tend to pizz me off :lol:

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
BIG GUY said:
That one's a tough question, there both really nice truck's. I've alway's been a chevy guy then my brother bought a 2007 dodge ram and it's a damn nice truck. Tup:
He's alway's been a chevy guy also and this is his first dodge,he seem's to be very happy with it. One of the reason's he went with the dodge was the price difference.
The chevy was 12,000 more. Tdown: I'm sure he will see this post and chime in.
The Chevy was actually about 10k more. My '07 Ram is a 3500 with the 5.9 Cummins. Its pretty much loaded with everything but leather. MSRP was 47k+ and I paid 34k+. A comparable Chevy last year had an MSRP of 50k+,and none of the Chevy dealers wanted to deal any less than about 44k.

You can't get a crew cab Dodge yet. If you want more than the quad cab (not a crew) you have to get the mega cab. The mega cab is fine,but its HUGE. For '09 or '10 Dodge is dropping the MC and coming out with a CC. The quad cab is the smallest cab of the big 3,but I've had some pretty big guys in the back of my truck and none have said its unbearable.

Both small blocks are dependable and get similar mileage. I'd give the edge in trannys to the GM.

The GM trucks will ride mucho better than a Dodge,and also sit lower. Some guys like their 4x4 to look like a 4x4 (I'm one of them)and the Dodge looks better IMO. If you want big tires on a GM,a lift is mandatory. A 6" lift will get you 35s with a GM. With my Dodge,I can run 35s on my stock truck.

My Dodge isn't like a hay wagon,but its definately a rougher ride than my 2500HD. The creature comforts are also nicer on a GM.

My Dodge feels more stable when towing,I'd describe it as feeling more "planted".

Is Dodge still offering the lifetime warranty? I thought they quit offering it a couple months back. If they did,GM has a better warranty. Dodges warranty is 3yr/36K,GMs is 5yr/100k.

I bought my truck from Dwayne Lanes in Everett. I had a quote from Dave Smith in Idaho who typically has the best prices you'll find on a Dodge. I walked in to DL and they didn't bat an eye at the quote from DS. They actually beat DS by a couple hundred bucks.

I had a hard time walking away from GM,but the difference in price was just too much to pass up.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
I want the cab so even though I am a dodge and a cummins guy I would buy either the Chev, GMC or Ford since their cabs kick butt. Unless you talk Mega cab baby Tup: Then its simple :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
BIG GUY said:
Red Neckersom said:
I don't know myself, but I've heard they are not that great on mileage...
Ya, I dont know, but I am in one quite oftenthat gets 19 a gallon almost all the time, except while towing. I think that is pretty good. IMO Its a 1/2 ton four door, 4x4

Haven't done much in town driving though.

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
No dealership is perfect but when servicing a transmission I think it should be standard procedure to replace the ATF fluid that they remove. ;)
It wouldn't have been as frustrating but I had the vehicle at the dealer 3 times after the service for shifting issues and every time I was told there was nothing wrong. I finally checked the fluid on a whim and it was 3.5 quarts down. Tacoma Dodge never added any fluid after the original tranny service and every time I brought it back they never checked the fluid either. I made the mistake of assuming that they knew more than I did. My bad there.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
I have always been a GM fan. I have driven Chevy or GMC all my life. I really think you would be happy with either a GM or a Dodge. But, if I really get a vote,I vote for CHEVY!

My thoughts on local dealerships. Over the years I have tried to buy from my local dealer and build a relationship with the local service departments. I have found that my loyalty has gotten my nothing. the next time I buy,I will probably drive over to Dave Smith in Idaho. I think it's just more simple and cheaper to buy there. My brother has purchased his last two vehicles from them and been very happy with the buying experience. They also sell Dodge, GMC and Chevy.

A thought on waranties: I have never been an extended waranty guy and have never liked to buy them when buying new vehicles. I went to Dave Smith with my brother for one of his purchases and they offered him a waranty option that sounded cool. It sounded like if you buy the waranty and don't use it,you can get your money back at the end of the waranty term. I kind of like the idea.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
You might need to double-check, but I'm not sure the 2500's are covered under the "Forever" warranty... maybe that was just the diesels?

I really like my Chevy 2500HD. It's a comfy truck, and I spend a lot of time in my rig, so comfort is important. My bud has a Dodge, and his seats aren't as comfortable as mine. The front-hinged rear doors on the Dodge work better than the suicide style on my Chevy, but the NEW Chevy's suicide doors open 180 degrees, rather than just the 90 that mine open. I think the extended cab on the Dodge is a little bigger than the extended cab Chevy, but I've never spent much time in the back seat of either one.

My truck's a diesel, and I've not driven a 6.0 Chevy or a gas Dodge, so no comment on the power plant. IF the 6.0 Chevy is available with the Allison transmission, that makes the choice a no-brainer. That Alli is the absolute SWEETEST trans I've EVER driven.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have had several Chevies, but my new truck is an 07 Dodge Diesel. I love the Dodge. A friend that is a landscaper has the Dodge Hemi and his only complaint is gas mileage. Another buddy is looking now and has come to the conclusion that the Dodge is a better utility truck and Chevy rides a lot better. I have had both and have like them both.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The Peddler said:
My truck's a diesel, and I've not driven a 6.0 Chevy or a gas Dodge, so no comment on the power plant. IF the 6.0 Chevy is available with the Allison transmission, that makes the choice a no-brainer. That Alli is the absolute SWEETEST trans I've EVER driven.
Nope,no Allison behind the 6.0

It was available with the 8.1 that GM doesn't make anymore. They can't put it behind the 6.0,because the small block doesn't make enough power to work well with the Allison. The Allison is so HUGE it saps something like 50hp from the engine to run it.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
I think that life time engine and power train is still available on all dodge/chryslers.......................sure tough to beat this deal.....that's life time for the original owner only, not transferrable...

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
DBAppraiser said:
I would have to totally agree with that statement. I have some totally different stories myself.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts