Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you want to end racism? It isn't easy to do but, it isn't hard to see the steps to take to get things rolling the right way.

1. End affirmative action and racial set asides. They help promote racism.

2. End the hypenation of ethnicity on all forms and applications. you know African-American, Asian-American ect.. This is done to keep us in smaller groups. Hence easier to control than one big group of AMERICANS.

3. Teach the past to learn from it. But don't teach the past to make the present seem as if the past is still the going on. We have come along way since slavery. We have a system to help us correct indifferences.

4. put term limits on congress. yes this will help stop racism. It will keep fresh thinking in DC. Most of these people have been there so long there way of thinking has stagnated into what can i do to keep power. So they keep coming up with laws and having meetings and comissions. All to have us think they care. Just like steroids in baseball. How much money was spent to make Roger Clemens and a buch of guys who play a game look stupid? And how did America benefit from that? But hey they care about us. Meanwhile the roads are going to hell. The inner cities are going downhill.

I admit these are just ideas of your average American gear jammer. And maybe they are just a simpltons viewpoint. But I do think that it would be a start to bringing America back to strength. Strength from the inside out. When your core is strong you are even stronger.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You have some good points. A few others might be to protest whenever we hear racial slurs. In the fishing community it is not uncommon to hear the N word, whneever the idiots who use it beleive they are around like minded idiots. Another path to absolute equality would be equality in education. If slum schools were funded as well as yuppie schools there would be an immediate increase in opportuinity for poor people of every color.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I agree with all of the above...

I think the schools play a huge role. These inner city kids grow up with dumpy schools with piss-poor teachers and programs. On the other side of the coin, better neighborhoods have great schools with all the extras. If the education system was to be equalized at the k-12 level, I think we would see more traditionally disadvantaged nieghborhoods doing alot better. I have no problem sending my tax dollar to help our poorer schools. They need to do a better job of drawing districts up across economic barriers. In other words, try to incorperate equal amounts of poor and wealthy neighborhods into a given district.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
SS,

Every school in the state gets the same funding $ per student. If schools have extras it typically comes from PTA involvement by the parents. My daughters kindergarten teacher was shocked her first year in our school at the parent involvement over 90%. She came from the Seattle school dist. and siad she was lucky to get 10% involvement and that was only parent teacher conferences. My sones first grade teacher came from Omak and was teacher of the year there two years. She said the same thing low parent involvement. One cannot simply drop their kid off in a 5 years of age and then pick them up when they are 18 and expect them to be educated. It is not a money issue at all its a parent and community issue.

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
That is a very complex question with a multitude of varying levels of understanding and application. There is no simple answer from my perspective. I have never believed "ending racism" is something that can be achieved in totality. It makes for good slogans but is not likely to be achieved.

I also do not believe it was intended for the human race to be or become homogeneous. Thus, ending racism cannot be accomplished without the entire worlds population being one race.

Having said that, I do believe in maintaining equality and equal opportunity in areas of employment, housing, business practices, schools programs, and many other aspects of society to insure an level playing field for all our citizens but also believe in the individual right of any one person or any one race to practice and apply standards to which they believe are best suited to maintain their cultural differences....

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
Good post ff... I agree with you completely. Tup:

Good advice queen... because if ANYBODY knows about all things ****... it's definitely you! :? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
"Good advice queen... because if ANYBODY knows about all things ****... it's definitely you!"

Owie Webo you really insulted my male ego there. So far I am a hating racist,****,neocon you really have me pegged clown:

Check this out

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
People get too caught up in 'color'. I think most 'racism' now days is really just a conflict of sub-cultures. For example, I don't care for the gang banger \ hip hop sub-culture (black, white, brown, etc), but have no issues with anyone based only on skin color.

But like most things, talking about it will only get so far. Living it is the surest way to start change...

My wife and kids (my 3 biological boys and the twins we are adopting):

The boys and the twins:

My oldest son and baby 'Hope':

My youngest son readying to Hope:

My youngest boy loving on his little sister Hope:

Reading to Hope:

Boys reading to their baby sisters:

Happy Halle:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,270 Posts
You definitely walk the talk SS! My hat is off to you and your family! Tup:

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
Cute kids!

You should see our family get togethers, it's like the neighborhood got hit the diversity stick.

I'll give you the rundown. My father is caucasian, Dutch. My mother Korean. My wife is Irish. My oldest sons wife if half Phillipino and half white. I have two full blooded Korean sisters and one caucasion sister. My white sisters second husband was black. Therefore I have several cousins who are half white and half black. One of those cousins is married to a black man. My son's wifes sister is married to a Mexican. One of my cousins is married to a Chinese guy. conf: :mrgreen:

There's more but I stopped keeping track...

·
Registered
15,057 Posts
Proud of you S'Steel. Some one asked about the ease of adoption black vs white. I have been cynical I admit in my opinion of the adoption process in many cases. Simply because the $ involved are often big and it seems like kid sellingin some cases.
You have a beautiful family S'Steel.

I'm jealous of you Ff. I think of all the good cooking you are exposed to and I am envious.

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
I'm jealous of you Ff. I think of all the good cooking you are exposed to and I am envious.
Why Jabba? Most things that are wonderful to eat are bad for us.

Very nice family SS!

·
Registered
15,119 Posts
Skorzeny said:
That's funny. Never thought of it in those terms but you're right, the food is awesome. And the Jokes at picnics are kill'r... :D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I'm sure there is some truth to that. I imagine mostly in the private adoption realm. I think in many ways it has to do with 'supply and demand' - to put it in sadly crude terms. Statistically more white families are seeking to adopt. Most will want a child that looks like part of their own family - others, like ours, won't care.

In our case, we are going through the foster care program instead of doing a private adoption. We started with the hope of eventually finding a baby girl we could adopt (I got 'fixed' after our 3rd boy). You could specificy race, gender, age, and even religion! We only focused on age and gender. So we had a few kids come through on a temporary basis (mom in rehab or jail, but they go back after a few days or weeks). Then we got the call on the twins. Just born to a crack head prostitute who has already lost previous kids. They would be adoptable.

Here is what they looked like when we brought them home:

It was pretty scary. We didn't know how the drugs would effect them and they had some health issues right off the bat. But with some deep soul searching and lots of prayer, we decidedd to go for it and give these girls a chance. As you can see in the pics I already posted, they are doing fanstatic now, 10 months later. Tup:

And then we continued to do foster care and maxed out on how many we could take in. Once you see the positive impact of directly helping kids and families in need in the most personal ways, it becomes addicting...

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
SS, it looks like your family is complete.

The only thing your daughters need to know when they get plder, is that , most baby's are born into a family, yours were chosen, and that makes them a little extra special.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts

“But she is a typical white person.� - Barack Obama a fish,
even in a garden hose.

Long live the King! Tup:

<!-- s:mrgreen: --

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
SS is closer to the answer than HH. Very nice family SS!!! In my mind, racism is fear. Fear often comes from the unknown. Knowing and loving, even a few members of a different race will generally force us into the only true position. People are people, some I like, some I don't - but it is because of who they are rather than what they are.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
People are people, some I like, some I don't - but it is because of who they are rather than what they are.

Plus one. Tup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts