Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you guys fish this derby.

I wanted to get a little more involved in the derby series this year, and I thought that this would be a good start.

I can't fish all three days, only Sun, and Mon.

Any info anyone wants to share on the subject???

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
CD,

They increased the fishing area to way more than just Discovery Bay a few years ago and that single move has made this derby much more fishable.

As someone else has said, weather can become a major player in this derby, but it can also lay down and be just calm as it gets and normally cold.

You don't mention how big your boat is but if you are going to need moorage make sure you scout all the available marinas out well in advance as space is very hard to come by if the weather is nice, especially in the Port Townsend area marinas.

Buy a ticket, fish whatever days you can, and just have fun. Tup:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I will be there but not sure if I will be fishing, just had my sholder operated on and not sure if it will be up to it yet plus it would be a little to handle the boat.

Mike

·
Registered
910 Posts
Badbait said:
I will be there but not sure if I will be fishing, just had my sholder operated on and not sure if it will be up to it yet plus it would be a little to handle the boat.

Mike
Nut up dude!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Interesting sounding derby...may just have to enter and run from Edmonds. Or, find a 30'-32' slip for a few days in Port Townsend. Sounds like fun...and some BIG fish caught last year. Hmmm... :D

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Whats the gig down there? Usual suspects..... flashers, hootchies, spoons, plugs?

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have fished this derby the last 3 years and have found out a couple of things. All 3 years I fished out of john wayne marina and moorage was not a problem. Out of the 3 days only 1 has good weather 1 is terrible and one is tolerable. The bay and surounding areas offer some protection from the weather so you can fish every day if you want to. Discovery bay itself, I have not caught a fish yet but last years winner came out of there. The birds do bite there, last year I hooked a puffin (I think thats what it was anyways) at 130' on a coho killer spoon. If the weather permits hein bank has a few fish to catch. Standard gear applies. I think that most of the turnout for this derby actually goes out of Pt, townsend. Well that is about all that I have learned so far, This year I hope to figure out a little more. Good luck to everyone and have fun!

·
Registered
339 Posts
mayfly0013 said:
Whats the gig down there? Usual suspects..... flashers, hootchies, spoons, plugs?
Mayfly0013, They all will work just fine, just look for bait and you will find fish...

Mike

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WaveDancer said:
CD,

They increased the fishing area to way more than just Discovery Bay a few years ago and that single move has made this derby much more fishable.

As someone else has said, weather can become a major player in this derby, but it can also lay down and be just calm as it gets and normally cold.

You don't mention how big your boat is but if you are going to need moorage make sure you scout all the available marinas out well in advance as space is very hard to come by if the weather is nice, especially in the Port Townsend area marinas.

WD

This is formally ChewyJackson. I had my name changed when we switched over, since Tictactug is my call name out on the water.

So I still have the defiance. I was thinking about trailering up both Sun and Monday and not staying overnight, but I think the weather will probably play the biggest role.

Does anyone know how last minute I can buy tickets??? Meaning, can I wait until Sunday and buy my ticket then, or do I need to have it by Sat. even if I'm not fishing it then.

·
Registered
693 Posts
WaveDancer said:
CD,

we were fishing out of a 50' delta hull "MS MAGOO". the mcgowens used to bring it up from westport to run charteres out of puget sound for winter blackmouth and the disco bay derby. one year we lost the life boat and a net due to im guessing about 60 mph winds and rough seas off of marrowstone heading for john wayne marina. we had to tuck into discovery bay and moor at some resturant for the night to let the wind blow over. we took first or second place in 1981 out of the ms magoo, i cant remember what place we got, but dorothy mcgowen the boat owners wife hooked this baby... http://www.discobaysalmonderby.com/imag ... r/1981.jpg

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
TTT,

You can buy tickets up to the last day of the derby but only at the derby headquarters, and also I believe the weigh in stations.

There is a small RV park just accross the street from John Wayne Marina so if you want to not have to commute, it's an easy place to stay without the expense of the gas back and fourth, not to mention the extra hours on the road.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Adipose clipped fish will be the only fish accepted for the derby this year even though Area 6 does not require this? An 8lber may win it this year.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts