Game Fishing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter was diagnosed with childrens type 1 on Monday and we are still in the hospital, hopefully out by this Friday afternoon. She is 8 years old, and needless to say, she is not happy. When we got to the ER Monday afternoon her blood sugar level was 770, which I found out later is super hi. We have been learning lots about this stupid thing called diabetes over the last few days, and WOW is all I have to say. Looks like some work is ahead of us all. All the blood checking, and shots are not going over to well for her right now, but she will just have to get use to it and go from there. Anyone else have type 1 or type 2 with any encouraging words I can pass along to her, she is really down and bummed. Any advice you have for me would be great too. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,566 Posts
Check out the new gun that you just press against the skin and pull the trigger, this then pushes the drug straight thro the skin, no need for needles. Over here we get given it free, hope it is the same for you. Also check out what Charities have to offer, you can get a lot of help from these places and most usually run summer camps so that the kids are made to feel they are not alone.

I get checked regularly as I have everything else wrong with me, so far so good.

I am sure others here will post some good posts.

Tell her the old Englishman says 'Keep your chin up and keep smiling'

·
Registered
13,456 Posts
I was diagnosed type 2 about 3 years ago. I was devastated for about a week. Once my blood sugar got under control, my health quickly rebounded and I felt like a kid again and I thought the diagnosis was a God send! The meds and diet made me lose 40 lbs. I've had no complications, I get checked every 3 months and none of this has been difficult to deal with.

A lot of kids with type 1 get the insulin pump so that they don't have to deal with the stigma at school. You might ask her doctor if or when she can get one? The education and counseling available these days will help, so get her and yourself to the next available class if you can.

Also, tell her to have hope. The research is very promising and we will have a cure, just don't know how soon.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My two oldest boys (both in their 20's) have type 1 diabetes....One was diagnosed when he was 1 & 1/2 yrs. old...he was doing his own shots by 4, so it more or less has just been a routine part of his life.My other son was 14 when diagnosed, and it was tougher for him to adjust.With all the options out there,they both stick to the old school blood test & injection. I know it's a stressful time right now, but trust me....it does get better.

·
Registered
4,149 Posts
Setdahook,

I don't have Diabetes myself but it is in my family and I know enough about it to know it sucks--but it is manageable. One thing I do know that may help is that the person with Diabetes should try to severely restrict the amount of simple carbohydrates, refined white flour and white sugar they ingest--This will curb the radical spikes and drops in their blood sugar and make it much easier to regulate and manage their insulin levels. In fact, eating this way is advisable to all of us and will make us much healthier whether we're diabetic or not. At home, you may want to have the whole family adopt the new diet doctors give your daughter so she doesn't feel that she's alone in this or is missing out on anything.

It hurts my heart that someone as young as your daughter has worry about this much less deal with it--but like I said it is manageable. With a good doctor, diet and carefully monitoring she'll be just fine and will lead a full and productive life.

Diabetes research has come along way and I pray that eventually they'll find a cure--I'm also going to pray for your daughter to not be 'bummed' and be comforted to know that she has a family that loves her dearly, is in good hands with her doctors and that she's going to be just fine. Tup:

·
Registered
436 Posts
There is a world of support out there for parents and your daughter. Learn all you can, it is the best way to be prepared. I was diagnosed in 2002 with type 2. Attended nutrition classes and changed my eating habits, a lot. Was 58 at the time. Began a walking program and lost a large amount of weight and have never hade any problems. Know that is a lot different than you little girl but everyone needs to be strong and fight. Fight like the dickens, all will work out. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
Necromancing. Topic closed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.