Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldnt be happier for a greater person Tup: He has lit up our house many nights. Thanks Dave Tup:

M's broadcaster Niehaus headed to Hall of Fame

Dave Niehaus wipes away tears at a news conference on Tuesday, Feb. 19, 2008 in Seattle.

Story Published: Feb 19, 2008 at 12:00 PM PST

Story Updated: Feb 19, 2008 at 3:18 PM PST
By Associated Press

SEATTLE (AP) - Dave Niehaus, who has been the voice of the Seattle Mariners throughout the team's 31-year history, will be inducted into the broadcasters' wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Niehaus was chosen as the 2008 winner of the Ford C. Frick Award for broadcast excellence. He will be honored during the Hall of Fame induction ceremony July 27, at Cooperstown, N.Y. The announcement Tuesday came on Niehaus' 73rd birthday.

"Dave Niehaus is the heartbeat of Mariners baseball. Since Day One, he has painted a picture of baseball and summer in Seattle better than anyone ever has," Dale Petroskey, president of the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, said in a news release.

Niehaus worked with the California Angels from 1969-1976 and joined the expansion Mariners in 1977. He was inducted in 2000 in the Mariners' Hall of Fame. He has broadcast all but 82 of the Mariners' 4,899 games played.

Niehaus is known for his signature calls "My, oh my" for big plays, and "It will fly away" for home runs.

Niehaus will be honored at Cooperstown along with 2008 J.G. Taylor Spink Award winner, the late Larry Whiteside, of the Boston Globe.

The annual Frick Award is named in memory of the sportswriter, radio broadcaster, National League president and baseball commissioner.

---

Niehaus will be on the "Hot Stove League" Tuesday night at 7 p.m. on KOMO Newsradio. Listen at AM 1000 or live online.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I'm happy to hear this. Niehaus has been part of my family and sometimes the only reason to listen to the Mariner's broadcasts back in the pitiful years. I have noticed him being less on his game over the last few years, hopefully this honor will allow him to gracefully exit while he is still near the top of his craft.

Congratulations Dave!!!!! Tup:

·
Registered
5,688 Posts
Dave is no spring chicken and I suspect that he doesn't see the ball as well as he used to. Every year he misjudges a few more pop ups that he thinks are going out. Thats okay though as his is the voice of summer around here and this award is very much deserved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts