Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be running out of Westport this summer (first summer out of Westport with my own boat) and fishing for kings and tuna. I was curious as to if you guys had some good suggestions on where a good place is to drop pots on the way to the fishing grounds. I would like to avoid dropping them right in the channel so I am not making obstacles for other fishermen, but I also don't want to go out of my way to drop pots and then go fishing. I am hoping for some spots that aren't too far out of the way. Any ideas? I have seen and heard all about the currents that roar through this area, so i am wondering, is 10 lbs enough weight to weigh down the pots? how about 20 lbs? I was thinking about zip-tying heavy duty rebar to the bottom of the pots to get the weight. Do you guys have better ways? Also, does the float have to have a double buoy so it doesn't get sucked down in the current? How deep are you guys usually dropping pots and how much rope are you running? I have never crabbed in a high current area so I want to do this right and mitigate gear loss.

Thanks!

·
Registered
289 Posts
I would call the charter boat operators and ask that question. They'll be able to tell you where it's safe. Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts