Gamefishin.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some friendly interesting info to share.

Recycling does not harm "Wild" Steelhead in the Cowlitz

Cowlitz Summer Steelhead Recycling Study

The U.S. Geological Study study, funded by angler dollars, involved nearly 550 fish tagged at the Cowlitz Salmon Hatchery in summer 2012 and then released near the I-5 bridge below Toledo. He says half of the fish returned to the hatchery, and averaged nine days to do so.

Just under one-fifth of the steelhead were caught by anglers within a week and a half, Thomas says.

Angling was better when flows out of Mayfield Lake were declining while the fish tended to skip bait and hit the barn when volume was on the upswing, he reports.

Some of the steelhead were radio-tagged, and all but one of those stayed out of the tribs; the one that wandered spent seven days in the Toutle. Telemetry also showed that a third of the fish made anywhere from two to six trips from Blue Creek up to Barrier Dam, Thomas writes.

He reports that USGS's executive summary for the preliminary study results reads, "Intensive monitoring of the key spawning tributaries failed to detect a single fish during the spawning period."

reference http://nwsportsmanmag.com/headlines/thomas-reports-on-cowlitz-summer-steelhead-recycling-study/

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
True! Tup: Tup: Tup:

At an estimated $1000 bucks generated to our local economy for each sport fish caught steelhead....let's all get this program back on line! clap: clap: clap:

The science from two different studies on the "Cowlitz" fully support doing so. It may not be good on other rivers until such studies /tests specifically have been done for several years elsewhere, but it's all been done here on the Cowlitz to support these recycling programs. Tup:

We now have the "science" that supports it here Tup: clap:

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Why recycle? We could be fine with out hatcheries.... to some. :p

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
The recycling is a great program. Just think, wdfw and tpu could raise half the fish in the hatchery if they recycle them. Instead of 1200 returning it'd be like 2400 returning.

·
Registered
220 Posts
eggster said:
The recycling is a great program. Just think, wdfw and tpu could raise half the fish in the hatchery if they recycle them. Instead of 1200 returning it'd be like 2400 returning.
I TOTTALLY agree with this. I hope this research can open new doors for our fisheries. Next would be the gillnets Tdown: but I doubt that. Would be nice though.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
Cowlitzfisherman said:

At an estimated $1000 bucks generated to our local economy for each sport fish caught steelhead....let's all get this program back on line! clap: clap: clap:

The science from two different studies on the "Cowlitz" fully support doing so. It may not be good on other rivers until such studies /tests specifically have been done for several years elsewhere, but it's all been done here on the Cowlitz to support these recycling programs. Tup:

There's no doubt and no reason not toooooooooo now! The only question that should be asked is....Where should they be dumped?...I would love to say Castle Rock...But I think I-5 would be the best bet

·
Registered
268 Posts
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
Cowlitzfisherman said:

There's no doubt and no reason not toooooooooo now! The only question that should be asked is....Where should they be dumped?...I would love to say Castle Rock...But I think I-5 would be the best bet
I imagine they are concerned about straying in the toutle system. Maybe Olequa?

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
Both I and RJ, and almost every other sport fisher who has a brain cell left in their head who fishes the Cowlitz also agrees with you Phil! Tup:

RJ asked me to say "HI" to all the you Gamefishers and says he wants to post again....but can't log in to do so still?

·
Registered
12,397 Posts
FastAction said:
I like when they dumped them into Kress lake too. All of a sudden they will hit Night crawlers and power bait!
The food banks also liked it when they "dumped" our sport raised Cowlitz fish into their plastic carts too Tdown:
It was a fight to see who was first in line ...Tacoma's "foods banks" or the "Tribes food banks" light: light: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What a joke that we have allowed our agencies to do our sport, especially now that we know that each one of those sport caught steelhead gives $1000 to our local economics Tdown: Tdown: Tdown:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts