Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a successful day on Sunday with Dave Baugh of XLT Guide Service. 2 steelhead one which was in the 15-17 LB range. I have a nice 16 FT Smokercraft Lodge NW model that is set up for downriggers and mostly fishing for the Areas up in the Puget Sound from Sekiu to Lilliwaup. I have enough treasure invested in that type of fishing gear and have no problem putting out the money to get a good day on the river water with an exceptional guide to see how things are done and the gear used.
I will say that the boat traffic was something else but everyone seemed to have a game plan and kept the fishing drifts going for clients & family/friends with little difficulties. The better fishing was up by the boat ramp area and when I hooked the big buck above the ramp, it took us clear down to the rapids before it was in the net. That says alot about the guides ability and the other boaters moving away enough to allow us fighting room and still keep their lines in the water.
I've seen as big or bigger traffic jams on the Tillamook Bay Areas, back East on the Indian River Inlet where the striped bass is the big game fish for boaters and bank fishermen.
I'll keep the boat I have set up for the Chinook/Coho up here and take the day once every couple months with a guide and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
17,616 Posts
Welcome Tup:

Nice job on the Cowlitz...friends down there last weekend had similar results and also said that it was like I-5 in the middle of the river but people were working together which makes it fun.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts