Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not fished the Cowlitz for a couple of years. I am planning on going down mon 12-31. I used to walk a trail at the end of the parking lot down to the Point. I would fish downstream from the hatchery intake creek all the way to the Point where this side branch of the Cowlitz joined the main Cowlitz.. Are people still catching fish along this side branch for the Cowlitz and on the Point or has all the action moved up to the new intake by the boat launch. Do fish still come into Blue Creek?? I would prefer to fish the area I have for years instead of learning a new game by the new intake creek. Don't mind the hike, but only want to do it if it is worth it.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
in answer to your question, with the move of the outlet and the hatchery no longer pumping water out BC, I believe alot of fish still come behind the island and on up to below the outlet, I think the fish are still trying to figure out what the heck is going on before moving upstream to the barrier ladder, thats why there is alot holding in the ramp area, just my opinion of course.

as far as people still fishing from BC down to the point, I saw approx, 6-8 people on the bank above the point fishing on Xmas day and one boat on the island with the guys fishing accross from the bankies, so they must be intercepting a few.

the show for most folks now that fish the bank is below the new outlet(and below the 100ft bubble around it), did not see alot of fish caught from the bank in this area when we were down, probably 4-5 banked that I witnessed, if I were you, I would go down further past the bankies below the outlet were it starts to get brushy, those fish are tight up against it coming up from behind the island, I witnessed a couple guys that had found a clear spot in the brush and waded out into maybe 2-3 ft of water and I saw them get at least 2 and they had nobody around them pressuring them.

Hope this helps, if I were going to hit it from the bank this is were I would try, and if you continue down behind the island you will find some large logs on the bank that is also a decent area, but seems the water is a bit fast for effective driftin without a large amount of weight, down from that is the next small point with a little back eddie, also a good spot next to the roots on the bank and defintily driftable or you could run a bait/diver/plug here to from the bank.

Get out and check it out---good luck to ya, I am headed down for a Sturgeon trip this weekend to longview taking out some friends, I told them we could go Steelie fishing but the said they wanted to go for the gators, I promised them last month----so thats were I will be, FASTFISH Tup:

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
There are still alot of guys fishing from the BC mouth to the Point.

My opinion is that fish are still moving out of the faster, heavy traffic water into that stretch on there move above to the new intake. Had an epic day there not too long ago which makes me believe that fish are jumping in there to get pressure relief from the mainflow.

good luck

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
you do know you cant fish in that pond/slough intake area without a handicapped permit or have a designated harvester license.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank everyone for their wisdom--I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Fish Boy said:
you do know you cant fish in that pond/slough intake area without a handicapped permit or have a designated harvester license.
Thats not exactly correct.

To fish within 100' of the outflow you have to be "Permanatly in a wheelchair"

So just having a disability or a handicapped/disabled lisc. is not sufficient to fish there. Its wheelchair only, OR you can be a person who holds the wheelchair anglers Designated harvester card, and the person in the Whelchair has to also be present there with you. Tup:

fish have been caught all along the shoreline from above the boatlaunch all the way down to where Blue Creek dumps in. Some days have been better than others. Bring kevlar, becuase its gonna be BUSY there this weekend!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts