Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My laptop crashed the other day. It shut down by itself and then rebooted. It said it had an error and a blue screen came up. My computer then rebooted itself and recommended that I save all my files. Now my laptop runs very slow and it takes for ever to download things, go online or even to bring up any other program. I tried system restore but no luck. The blue screen came up again 2 days later and shut down my computer again. Im going to get a back up right now for all my files. Anyone know what could have caused this. A bad or corrupt file, hard drive dying? Im using 2006 windows XP and I only have 24% of my C drive used up.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Is it crashing consistently in the same place (ie, loading Internet Explorer, opening a Word document, etc.). If so, you probably have a corrupted file and/or folder and remove and re-load the program. If it's not consistent this is probably a faulty hard drive...make sure you backup your data and replace the drive.

Another thing to check is to capture what is on the "blue screen". A lot of time it refers to a file or folder that's causing the corruption and blue screen. Removing or renaming this file can usually fix it.

Good luck!!

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
Sounds like to me you have a virus.

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
Easy Limits said:
Sounds like to me you have a virus.
Yep, sounds like a memory dump occurred. You need to do a system scan to see if you can fix the problem. Norton System Works has a utility to find and fix problems, but I know there are others out there too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts