Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
STR1163s - 9' 8" rated for 6 - 12lbs by G-loomis. Well this what i dream of but can any one recommend a pole that is close to comparison?

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
10 foot, 8-12 Cert Pro Herzog. Its got about the same quick action for a medium rod. Id say the old reliable 1143, but it doesn't have that extra fast action, that the Loomis you are asking about has in 6-12, IMO

·
Registered
869 Posts
I was thinking the St. Croix AV96MF2 would compare favorably. It might not break the bank either?
Great feeling little whoopin' stick!!!!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
hookedonsalmon said:
STR1163s - 9' 8" rated for 6 - 12lbs by G-loomis. Well this what i dream of but can any one recommend a pole that is close to comparison?
WHat are you going to use it for?

I have the STR1162 6-10lb, GL3 1141 4-8lb, and a Lamiglas Certified Pro x 96ls 9'6'' 6-10lb.

From a boat free drifting the gl3 1141 wins. From the bank its a toss up between the Str and the CP 96. Thay are both a bit heavy for A Shimano 2500. What I mean is thay are tip heavy with a 2500 reel. The Str has the gl3/IMX blended blank and is a bit more sensitive then the CP96ls. Look at St Croix, i hear alot of good thing about them as well. buy whats in your budget, after all you can feel a fish bite on all those rods......

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Another thing to think about is warranty. I judt got a $240 Lamiglas float rod and found the last eye out of place. I shat my pants, luckily i was able to bend it back without breaking it. I know Lamy has a good warrnaty on the CP rods but Loomis has even better one. I think St. Croix has the same warranty now so I would go with one of them......After breaking a 150-340 buck rod its nice to know you can get a new one for 50 bucks......

My 2 cents....

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you want to wait a week or so it costs nothing but postage, 50 for the no questions asked expeditor program. I am on my 3rd IMX in about 12 years, never had to pay anything for replacement and 1 was even my fault and even though I told them so they still replaced it free and told me merry christmas

·
Registered
536 Posts
How much you wanna spend? I'd agree there are several rods within 150-350 price range. Maybe a custom rod wil do you good or for under 100 berkley Im7 9'6" 8-12 is great for the price. You can pick up at joes for 50 if watch the sales there. Good luck
P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts