Discussion Starter #1
Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife
Internet: http://www.dfw.state.or.us
Fax: (503) 947-6009
For Immediate Release February 14, 2008
Fish and Wildlife Commission supports lower Columbia River recreational
spring chinook fishery; one fish daily bag limit
SALEM, ORE. - The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission met today by
conference call to discuss and get an update on negotiation efforts between Oregon and
Washington regarding the 2008 Columbia River spring chinook management
objectives.
As a result of today’s meeting, the Commission endorsed the following
management objectives that will be forwarded to the Joint State Columbia River
Compact:
Mainstem Columbia River above the Willamette River
* March 16 through April 30 from I-5 Bridge to Bonneville Dam
* Open six-days-per week, closed Tuesdays (dates of closure to be
decided by Joint State Columbia River Compact)
* One fish daily limit
* Catch expectation of 15,800 chinook
Mainstem Columbia River below the Willamette River
* March 24 through April 4 from I-5 Bridge to Buoy 10
* Open seven-days-per week
* One fish daily limit
* Catch expectation of 3,000 chinook
Willamette River and Willamette Tributaries
* Open seven-days-per week
* One fish daily limit
* Catch expectation of 5,500 chinook
Commercial Fishery â€" Mainstem Columbia River
* Commercial fishing is restricted to the area from the I-5 Bridge to
Beacon Rock
* Catch expectation of 5,200 chinook
Commercial Select Area Fisheries (SAFE)
* Open from mid-February through mid-June
* Catch expectation of 3,700 chinook
Tomorrow, the 2008 spring chinook seasons for sport and commercial fisheries
will be set at the joint state hearing of Washington and Oregon fishery
managers at 10 a.m., Feb. 15 at the Water Resource Education Center located at
4600 SE Columbia Way in Vancouver, Wash.
Last week, the commission heard more than six hours of testimony by sport
and commercial fishers about the 2008 Columbia River spring chinook fishery.

"The Peddler's" Comments:
This does not say what the allocation numbers for Sport vs Commercial are yet. It's only one fish, but we do get a (short) season below I-5 while the commercials do not. It may not be all we hoped-for, but it's not terrible either. I still want to see the final allocation #'s.

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Thanks for the post, if you add up the expected catch in each area, you'd have an idea on the percentages? That would be 24,300 to 8,900, so a 63/37 split...if we catch all ours, as we know the commercials will...

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
So the lower river below I-5 is open until March 15, then above I-5 opens March 16, and the lower river reopens March 24 for 11 days. And the commercials are above I-5 only? This seems like a pretty good opportunity for sportsmen with no nets in the lower river.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
Cathlamet here we come Tup: Thought limit was usually 2. Oh well, cant have it all. wink:

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
well, one fish limit for springers is better than no fishing at all for springers below I-5 bridge at Portland, OR.

·
Registered
32 Posts
CommanderX, no the Lower River is not open until 15 March, it will be closing at Midnight 24 February and then re-opening on 24 March if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Isn't that special. Close down the lower river to save the willamette run, but we'll fish that sob every darn day of the week. How in the heck does that help those fish? At least on the lower river we have the chance at catching a fish that isn't a white belly. Close em both or leave em both open. That's the way I feel.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Whew!!!
nice save on posting the reg's of when the river will be open.
Looks like they should be done in plenty of time for the season to start down here.
Our local paper now states that the dredging should be done by the l5th of march, not starting on the l5th.
Still messes up the sturgeon fishing as the other launch at Rainer, Or. is an absolute engineering piece of crud.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yeah. I launched there last tuesday. Best to stay to the dowriver side of the ramp. Otherwise you'll be spinning heavily to get out. I thought I was going to have to pull a brand spanking new duramax out last month down there. Just like launching on a beach.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glowball said:
Isn't that special. Close down the lower river to save the willamette run, but we'll fish that sob every darn day of the week. How in the heck does that help those fish? At least on the lower river we have the chance at catching a fish that isn't a white belly. Close em both or leave em both open. That's the way I feel.
It's not that cut and dry glow...

They had to keep the lower Columbia closed to commercials to prevent them from dessimating a poor return to the Willamette. Commercials can not fish the Willamette, sportsmen can fish SELECTIVELY, so-as not to have (much of) an impact on the NATIVE fish, yet help to prevent the co-mingling of nates and hatchery fish on the natural spawning grounds. It's now "our" job to prove "we" can responsibly fish selectively so-as to live-up to "our" word. ("our" / "we" = sportsmen)

I'm actually surprised they're allowing a sports-fishing season in the lower river. It's due in great part to the strong turn-out of sporties at the hearings in Longview and Salem. Things are beginning to happen here people, but now the sportsmen are being watched as closely as ever.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Todays Daily News reports that us lower river anglers are going to get 12 days of springer fishing starting Mar. 24

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Looks like they are set :(

NEWS RELEASE
WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

February 15, 2008

Focus of this year’s spring chinook fishery
will shift upstream on the Columbia River

OLYMPIA â€" Columbia River anglers will find more opportunities to catch spring chinook salmon higher upstream this year under fishing seasons adopted today by fishery managers from Washington and Oregon.

Anticipating a strong run of spring chinook to the upper Columbia River but weak returns to the Willamette, the two states agreed to direct most of the fishery above the confluence of the two rivers near Portland.

That is a change from past years when the spring chinook fishery in the lower Columbia River was focused downriver from the Interstate 5 Bridge, said Cindy LeFleur, Columbia River policy coordinator for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).

“This year’s fishing seasons are designed to give anglers an opportunity to take advantage of strong returns of chinook bound for upriver hatcheries, while protecting weak Willamette River stocks,� LeFleur said. “Like anglers, fishing seasons have to be responsive to changing conditions.�

Anglers participating in these fisheries may also retain shad and hatchery steelhead within daily catch limits established by each state.

Under this year’s management plan, Columbia River anglers will be able to fish for spring chinook salmon at the following locations and times:

West power lines on Hayden Island to Bonneville Dam: Six days per week from March 16 through April 30, with a daily limit of one adult chinook salmon. During that period, the sport fishery will be closed Tuesdays â€" except March 18 â€" for commercial fisheries in the area.

Tower Island power lines above Bonneville Dam to McNary Dam: Seven days per week from March 16 through May 10, with a daily limit of two adult chinook salmon. The Washington and Oregon bank fishery will also be open from Bonneville Dam upstream to the Tower Island power lines.

West power lines on Hayden Island downstream to Buoy 10: Seven days per week from March 23 to April 4, with a daily limit of one adult chinook salmon. No commercial fisheries are scheduled downstream from Hayden Island this year.
LeFleur said catch limits were restricted to one adult chinook a day below Bonneville Dam to extend the length of the sport-fishing season and meet other management objectives in the lower river.

Based on pre-season forecasts, 269,300 upriver spring chinook salmon are expected to return to the Columbia River this year, which would be the third-largest run since 1977. But only 34,000 chinook are expected to return to the Willamette River, down from 40,500 last year and 59,700 the year before.

Because a portion of the wild upriver spring chinook run is protected under the federal Endangered Species Act (ESA), any chinook salmon not clearly marked as a hatchery-reared fish must be released. Standing rules limit incidental mortality of wild spring chinook intercepted and released in all state fisheries â€" recreational and commercial â€" to 2 percent of the total run.

Within that 2 percent limit, this year’s agreement between Washington and Oregon allocates 61 percent of the incidental mortality rate to the recreational fishery and 39 percent to the commercial fishery.

Meeting as the Columbia River Compact, fishery managers from Washington and Oregon approved this year’s fishing seasons a day after fish and wildlife commissions for both states approved an outline of their new management plan.

The spring chinook fishery is currently open from the mouth of the Columbia River (Buoy 10) to the Interstate 5 Bridge, but will close Feb. 25 through March 23 before the new regulations take effect. Updates on the Columbia spring chinook fishery will be available on the WDFW Fishing Hotline (360-902-2500) and the department’s website (http://wdfw.wa.gov/).

·
Registered
24 Posts
With a short season on the lower river. Is the Willow Grove ramp closed,or will it be open to use on those dates?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts