Columbia Shad & Oversize Sturgeon with Netboy | Gamefishin.com

Columbia Shad & Oversize Sturgeon with Netboy

Discussion in 'Let's Talk Fishin'! The best fishin' community on' started by Echo Mules, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Echo Mules

Echo Mules Member

I got an invite to join netboy on a two day Columbia Oversize Sturgeon trip. I don’t think he was even finished asking when I blurted, “I’m In!� The day started at 2 am to arrive at his house in time to leave. We picked up a buddy of his on the way and were doing great, just entering Camas when-- “my hub is smoking!� Apparently a bearing had let go.

[​IMG]

We found Les Schwab, but it was going to be awhile before they opened, so naturally we cooked breakfast in the boat. As many of you may be aware, this is a common habit with netboy. Breakfast in the boat, but not usually in a parking lot.

[​IMG]

When we arrived at the boat launch, the river was very high. This is the ‘old’ lower parking lot, under about three feet of water.

[​IMG]

We finally are anchored and have lines in the water, awaiting the shad to bite.

[​IMG]

We were not being bothered by fish, so time for a hot boat lunch.

[​IMG]

It took a few hours and numerous moves, but finally a shad.

[​IMG]

Shad fishing was very slow, but a few boats were doing ok. Apparently it was better early in the morning, while we were sitting in the Les Schwab lobby. We only hooked a couple in about six hours, but some friendly anchor mates in the boat next to us, gave us a few more so we could go fish sturgeon. We didn’t get a sturgeon bait on the bottom until about 5:30 pm, but 20 minutes later we were hooked up. Netboy’s buddy Kevin had never fished or caught a sturgeon, so he was up first.

[​IMG]

Everyone knows the feeling of a sturgeon worked all the way up to the surface, only to head back to the bottom. Just hang on…

[​IMG]

This fish was fairly cooperative and Kevin gets it to the boat quickly. With the release we were beaming smiles of success.

[​IMG]

We had quite a bit of action, but just were not hooking them all evening. We pulled the anchor at dusk.

[​IMG]

Back to the shad row early the next morning, enjoying true northwest sunshine, just be sure to wear your raingear. Fortunately the shad were more cooperative and we boated a enough to go sturgeon fishing, but it was by no means the busy action typical of shad fishing.

[​IMG]

When we came by the sturgeon fishing boundary sign downstream, we noticed that it was even higher water than the day before. And it was also obvious that the WDFW didn’t plan on the water being this high.

[​IMG]

Netboy worked very hard for this haul.

[​IMG]

My pole finally hooked up and here I am trying to get it off the bottom.

[​IMG]

This fish was quite active, up and down, up and down, it wasn’t quite as big, but it was fun.

[​IMG]

With an easy flick of the tail, back to the bottom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been 12 years since I had my hands on a sturgeon, it was a good feeling.

[​IMG]

Enjoying our trip.

[​IMG]

The wind started to blow and the waves picked up. No big deal, but it did affect the sturgeon fishing. With the poles bouncing three feet with each wave it was hard to keep the baits still on the bottom.

[​IMG]

All in all it was a great trip, maybe not all we had dreamed of, but absolutely a success and a great time.
    I have to give a huge THANK YOU to netboy for the invite and arranging the trip.

2. RiverFishin

RiverFishin Active Member

Looks like alot of fun other than the bearing smoking.

3. gordygroover

gordygroover Active Member

'Glad to see the summer sunshine didn't damper your outing.
    Just can't figure out what is up with the shad this season.

4. fishlicker

fishlicker New Member

I CANNOT believe you would put all this time into this post, and leave out the most important detail. What's wrong with you?!?

What kind of cigars?

wink:

Great post!

5. RETTRO

RETTRO New Member

Nice, fellas. Tup:

6. Chuck S

Chuck S Active Member

Lube da bearings before road trip boyz ...

GReat pics Tup:

Yes, Brent is the breakfast MASTER clap:

7. GreatNWRiversGS

GreatNWRiversGS Well-Known Member

Always fun, we boated 8 today, other buddy got 5

8. fishn2gthr4ever

fishn2gthr4ever Moderator Staff Member

Excellent,! Looks like you guys had great time. Cool pics and report. clap: clap:

9. netboy

netboy Active Member

Fun times, tbanks for posting. I was off for the weekend with the family. With the amount of photos you and Kevin were snapping, I don't think I pull my camera out at all! I really thought that first fish was going to pull Kevin in!

Thanks for working the anchor!

10. Slayer

Slayer Member

Looks like a great ending to a bad beginning :)

11. fishinfoolz

fishinfoolz Active Member

Looks like loads of fun even with the delay.. Tup:

12. netboy

netboy Active Member

Thanks for adding that first photo!

Why and the world am I smiling??? I guess it's helps to keep a positive attitude!

13. SCARBOO

SCARBOO Member

Brent whats with the beard?

14. netboy

netboy Active Member

The wife digs it! wink: