Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In talking to several people who attended today's ODFW Commission meeting in Salem and several others who participated in the WDFW teleconference, here are the details I find most interesting:

Washington changes the split:The Commission reccomended and voted to approve a change of the sport/commercial ESA impacts to 65/35 instead of the status-quo 50/50. This, to me, is significant.

Oregon maintains status quo: Oregon Commission reccomended to stay with the current 53/47 split, reccomended NO FISHING BELOW I-5, and reccomended 1 day of gillnetting per week. They also reccomended a 7-days-a-week fishery on the Willamette. Can somebody explain this to me? Curt? Anybody? Why would they propose a weeklong fishery on a run of 34,000 fish?

Columbia Compact meeting will be very interesting: Next week should produce some fireworks at the Compact meeting, especially if Washington staff proposes fishing below I-5.

CCA is making a difference: Please don't turn this into a flamefest pro/con CCA. This is strictly in reference to overall PARTICIPATION in the process this year vs. previous years. This quote is directly from Buzz Ramsey, who has sat in on/testified at every allocation meeting for the past several years for NSIA: "Sure is nice to have all those CCA people there. It sure makes a difference. There's a lot more participation this year."

Buzz, by the way, will be on with us tomorrow at 7:30 a.m. on NORTHWEST WILD COUNTRY, 6 to 8 a.m. on Sportsradio 950 KJR

JS/NWWC

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can anyone explain why they would close the Columbia to protect Willamette fish, yet keep the Willamette open for retention?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Smaller stretch of water to manage. The fish that are in the Willamette are Willamette fish. Don't know what you're catching in the mainline Columbia. Also if they figure there are so many excess fish to catch they can monitor and shut it down once that amount has been caught. ??

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Only to clarify.

WDFW staff did not recommend/propose the change in allocation. That was Commissioner Mahnken.

The allocation was 57/43.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
Barnyard53 said:
Can anyone explain why they would close the Columbia to protect Willamette fish, yet keep the Willamette open for retention?
Commercials can not fish the Willamette, only sporties who can fish selectively (release un-clipped). If the lower Columbia was opened for Sporties, under current law it would have to be opened for commercials who would inflict a huge impact on un-clipped Willamette fish. With "our" effort and the help of NSIA, CCA, Etc, "We" can hopefully influence a change the laws regarding commercial gill-net fisheries on main stem Columbia.

The change in the Washington split recommendation is HUGE, but we're not out of the woods yet. No DECISIONS have been made.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I went to the Mill Creek office to listen to the call. Commissioner went on about the Visioning process at least 3 times and then just before the vote finally said that he believed that the 65/35 split had nothing to do with conservation. Commissioner Orr took Commissioner Mahnken to task for the proposal because WDFW has professional biologists on staff and it's not the commissions job to think they can know more than WDFW staff. Commissioner Mahnken believes that the 65/35 split will leave less hatchery fish in the system to spawn with wild fish on the spawning grounds and brought up the current studies that show reduced productivity when you have hatchery/ wild cross breeding. I was impressed with Commissioner Mahnken at the Olympia meeting for his questioning of WDFW staff asking the same question in several different ways until Guy Norman finally gave an answer that was not evasive. I believe that Commissioner Orr is kind of a loose cannon. If the commissioners aren't there to direct WDFW what are they there for? I like the final ammendment about delegating negotiation power to the Director that still has some oversite by the commission.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
The split will now be set in negociations between Washington and Oregon. If they can't come to an agreement the split will revert back to the previos agreement and that was 57/43.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
I think the reasoning to close the Columbia below I-5 and keep the Willy open is so that Oregon fishers have a chance to harvest HATCHERY Chinook that are forcast to meet the escapement goal by a few hundred. This gives the area a little support for the loss of revenue that the area is losing. Is it the wisest thing to do :?: I don't know but at least it sounds as though ODFW are trying to help the local biz owners in that area.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The Peddler said:
Barnyard53 said:
Commercials can not fish the Willamette, only sporties who can fish selectively (release un-clipped). If the lower Columbia was opened for Sporties, under current law it would have to be opened for commercials who would inflict a huge impact on un-clipped Willamette fish. With "our" effort and the help of NSIA, CCA, Etc, "We" can hopefully influence a change the laws regarding commercial gill-net fisheries on main stem Columbia.

The change in the Washington split recommendation is HUGE, but we're not out of the woods yet. No DECISIONS have been made.
Exactly!!!! This is a ruling that you have to look at the backside to understand. I believe that it makes a huge statemant for the sporties that selective fishing is NOT the problem and that Commercial fishing can wipe a large part of tributary's run out in a quick fashion.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Jerry Garcia said:
I went to the Mill Creek office to listen to the call. ...Commissioner Orr took Commissioner Mahnken to task for the proposal because WDFW has professional biologists on staff and it's not the commissions job to think they can know more than WDFW staff. .... I believe that Commissioner Orr is kind of a loose cannon. If the commissioners aren't there to direct WDFW what are they there for? ....

I am glad commissioner Mahnken is proceeding in a logical manner. I don't know enough about the Columbia allocation system to comment much other than I know Commissioner Mahnken at least knows what he is talking about. I don't know which way he leans in the Commercial vs. Recreational stance but it looks like he is proceeding with the best interests of the fish in mind.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
I think the reasoning to close the Columbia below I-5 and keep the Willy open is so that Oregon fishers have a chance to harvest HATCHERY Chinook that are forcast to meet the escapement goal by a few hundred. This gives the area a little support for the loss of revenue that the area is losing. Is it the wisest thing to do :?: I don't know but at least it sounds as though ODFW are trying to help the local biz owners in that area.
While that may be true, what about the lost income to areas like Cathlamet, Kalama, St. Helens, etc. that will happen if the season gets shut down below I-5. I've fished springers, sturgeon and summer-run steelhead out of Cathlamet and the area is never more alive than during springer season. Hopefully this recent string of weak Willamette run ends soon, the rest of the returns look good, what has come of the Willy?

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
fishforfun said:
MYSTICAL LEGENDS said:
While that may be true, what about the lost income to areas like Cathlamet, Kalama, St. Helens, etc. that will happen if the season gets shut down below I-5. I've fished springers, sturgeon and summer-run steelhead out of Cathlamet and the area is never more alive than during springer season. Hopefully this recent string of weak Willamette run ends soon, the rest of the returns look good, what has come of the Willy?
That's not Oregon. Oregon is looking out for both the fish and the people. Washington??? Read some of the other post about the netters and the WDFW.

You can't have both ways. Impact on the Willy wild fish could be curtailed by that season and probably managed by ODFW way easier.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts