Game Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Large storm swells reached Morro Bay California on December 4, 2007, bringing 15-20 foot swells. A US. Coast Guard 47-foot Motor Life Boat was out for practice maneuvers in the large surf, which is not unusual. However, a large wave hit that was probably more than they bargained for. According to the amateur photographer who took these pictures, it's the hardest he'd ever seen them get hit. :eek: Shot # 5 is vertical :shock:

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Re: Coast Guard 47-foot Motor Life Boat off Morro Bay, Californi

Man, those Coasties have some stones!

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts

Wow, what a ride!

·
Registered
946 Posts

Man those are some cool ass pic's.......

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

That's some crazy stuff.... :p

·
Registered
2,153 Posts

Those dudes sittin outside have to strapped in. Can you imagin flippin upside down and waiting for the boat to roll back over. I know they design them to roll back on their own, But I gaurantee there is some soiled britches after that.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Coast Guard 47-foot Motor Life Boat off Morrow Bay CA

For those that are interested in more info on what these boats and men do visit this link
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-o/nmlbs/index.html Click on Media at the far left of the Home bar. Great national training facility located here in Ilwaco WA. Tup:

There are some great photos/videos of the men during training. Most of the shots are not like those posted above, however you will get a great perspective on what they go through during training.
Here is one such shot on the deck.

Here is a great link to a few more photos;
http://morrobayphotos.com/uscgmorrobay/

Tiderunner I'm not so sure these guys are strapped in. They seem to be more or less standing in a cage around them with the driver sitting. :shock:

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
Took a tour of a 47 down in Brookings Oregon last summer and from what I remember, they stand but are hooked in on a tether strap or harness of some sort. Crazy stuff.

·
Premium Member
101,632 Posts
That is some crazy azz stuff!!! :shock:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
In pics 4 & 5 it looks like some brown stuff squirting out. I know if I was on that boat for that ride I would be squirting some brown stuff aswell!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts