Fishing Report - Clear Lake | Gamefishin.com

Fishing Report Clear Lake

Discussion in 'Pierce County' started by Erwin S., May 3, 2007.

1. Erwin S.

Erwin S. Guest

On Saturday April 28th we were on the lake by 6:30AM after waiting in a long line at the ramp. Best opening day of fishing in a long time! We were trolling with floating Rapalas. Orange was the color that was working for us. Really need to be on the lake as the sun comes up.

2. Erwin

Erwin Guest

Once again we were on Clear Lake for the first day of fishing. Fishing by 5:30 and had our limits by 8:30. Floating Rapalas did all the work. A very slow trolling speed worked the best.

3. Rick

Rick Guest

I trolled starting at 10:30 am on 5/21/08. it was chilly 50 and kinda windy 5-10 mph.
    I used a worm on a wedding ring spinner. lots of bites. caught 4. 8" and 1 of 11" didnt keep them.
    I left at about 2pm. the fish were there it was just too cold and windy to be much fun. next time I will dress warmer. it SHOULD NOT BE THIS COLD ON MAY 21 !!!!!

4. wannafish

wannafish Guest

We didn’t get to the lake until 10:45am . The fishing wasn’t has fast and furious as last Friday but we did have some excitement. The water temp was 60. We were trolling and I had bites but no takers for maybe the first hour but Adam got one on in about 20 minutes but his line was way out. He was reeling it in and the fish wasn’t fighting much. It slid to the top of the water so we could see that it was indeed there. All of a sudden a hawk swooped down to get that fish. It got its talons on the trout and Adams reel started to scream as it flies away with the fish. Adam started reeling to get it back and the fish slides back toward us dropping into the water. We kept an eye on those birds the rest of the day. They were 5 fish hawks total and 1 eagle we saw. It was fun to watch them dive for the fish, just as long as they were not after our fish.
    I caught my first kokanee’s today. Adam caught the first fish but I caught the most today. He did hook a very nice large trout that I think was equal to the one yesterday from Lake Whitman but it got off right at the boat. I used most of the time the Salmon Roe Z-Ray and Adam used the Zak worm spinner. The sad part of today was that I failed to check my line after catching all these fish and I casted out that Z-Ray but my line stayed with me in the boat and the lure went to the bottom.
    I used a bait hook, small split shot with a little bit of prawn and worm on it for the rest of the time we were there. It was about an hour. We hung out around the ramp casting and retrieving. We left around 3:00pm. There were only a few boats out while we were there. It was windy and cold for almost the whole time we were there.

5. wannafish

wannafish Guest

We were in the water by 1pm. Fishing was slower than last week. We couldn’t seem to find the right lure. I caught 4 on pieces of shrimp. The water temperature was 60. The sun only came out for a short time otherwise it was cloudy but no showers. We left at 3:30pm.

6. wannafish

wannafish Guest

Today the target was Kokanee! I brought my arsenal (very little at this time) for this species of fish. I trolled and trolled and trolled some more. I used a ½ to 1 oz. egg weight (big) and then this spinner thing and a wedding ring I made. The first fish I caught was a rainbow that was released. I conquered and captured 2 of the target species. I had a lot of hook-ups with out getting them all the way to the boat. Then I was getting bored and started taking pictures of my reel and pole when it was “fish on”. As it fought I thought “this is a bigger fish”. It was a 14.75 inch one pound rainbow. That was it for the day. I had bites but nothing in the boat. I took the temp in the shallower part of the lake and it was 62. I had bites trolling a black fly attached to my main line with a swivel. I came home with 3 fish after fishing 9:15am to 2:45pm.

7. wannafish

wannafish Guest

I got to the lake around 4pm and left close to 8pm. I hooked and landed 3 kokanee’s using a new Wittman Z-Ray, the color is salmon roe. Since I lost my other small one I haven’t done as well so I ordered some again from Wittman Lures in Az. The lures they sent said salmon roe but they weren’t the same color as the other big one I have or the one I lost. These new ones were slightly redder. I thought they might have made a mistake so I emailed asking about the color and I got a call back from them. They have a vender that paints them and he went to a store looked at the salmon roe and made it his paint redder. So I took one fishing tonight (yes, I ordered more than one) to see if I get the same result. I casted it out and started to troll and “fish on”. Yes that quick. It jumped and was off. I had tried trolling with a Z-Tiny Troll and wedding ring but without any bites then I switched to the Z-Ray. First fish caught on the Z-Ray was 5:05 pm. The bite died down around 7 and I switched to shrimp on a bait hook and got a rainbow. It was windy and cold-no rain. I was really cold. The water temp was 58 degrees.

8. wannafish

wannafish Guest

It was a last minute decision Adam and I made to go fishing since I had to work at 3. We got to the lake after 10am and I pushed it to the limit at leaving after 1pm. I wanted to get home and cook the catch. I got 4 and Adam got 2. I used the salmon roe Z-Ray and Adam used a Kokanee Hustler from Zak Tackle (I think that was the name of it). He had bites that didn't hook up and so did I but I had a few get off after jumping. One unhooked right at the boat. We trolled along the west end of the lake until about mid way and then headed east then turning north about 2/3 of the length of the lake finishing going north to the ramp area to start over again. It was calm to start out with. The showers came and went before the wind started a little after 12. It got real choppy. I didn’t get a water temperature.

9. Erwin

Erwin Guest

Back out on the lake for the 25th April opener. We were trolling with floating Rapalas by 6AM. Started out slow but by the time we made it to the opposite side of the lake from the ramp we were in the fish. Ended up keeping 14 fish including 2 large triploids and a jumbo. My daughter Mariah almost landed a hawk. The hawk swooped down and grabbed her large, silver Rapala which she was trolling with. The hawk carried the Rapala about 20 feet into the air before dropping it! I wonder what the limit is for hawks? We were off the lake by 9AM, excellent day of fishing.

10. Foothills420

Foothills420 Guest

Hit clear lake today, a bit cold but worth it. Both of us hit our limit, plus a little C&R! Over all a great day for trout!

11. wannafish

wannafish Guest

It rained, it hailed, and the wind blew but I caught lots of fish. The best fishing was as it was hailing. It was sunny for short periods of time. I trolled all of the time with many different things and most of the fish were caught without any weight, so they were close to the top. I caught several kokanee in with the rainbows, nothing too big. I got to the lake close to 8:30am and left about 12:30. Good day fishing except when the fish in my basket escaped.

12. Foothills420

Foothills420 Guest

Hit Clear again today. Hit my limit again today, as did my buddy. 2 of mine caught were 12", they put on a decent show, but ultimately ended up on the stringer!--------<>{

13. Bullmstr

Bullmstr Guest

Hit the lake about noon with Dad my Brother and the Kids, Parked in the usual spot and limited on Kokes still Fishing with eggs and maggots. No big just 10" but fun and Tasty!

14. Foothills420

Foothills420 Guest

So I have mixed feelings about Clear Lake today, SLOW fishing there today! Lost 2 due to a poor set in the hook. Although the 1 I got was 13 inches! ;} Kelly hit his limit, he even got a Kokanee. Jake took home 3. All my post are from a dock on the south side of the lake! We use Power eggs, pick a color!

15. wannafish

wannafish Guest

Today, my day off, I was getting ready to go fishing but at 8:30am I get a call to come to work. At time and a half I said yes. I don’t have to be there until 12. I still have time to go. I am fishing by 9:15am. Out at 10:15am. Caught at least 5 trout in that hour and kept the big one for dinner 14 inches. All on flies. No kokanees.