Game Fishing Forum banner

Clear Lake

Fishing Report 
6K views 40 replies 1 participant last post by  wannafish 
G
#1 ·
On Saturday April 28th we were on the lake by 6:30AM after waiting in a long line at the ramp. Best opening day of fishing in a long time! We were trolling with floating Rapalas. Orange was the color that was working for us. Really need to be on the lake as the sun comes up.

G
#3 ·
I trolled starting at 10:30 am on 5/21/08. it was chilly 50 and kinda windy 5-10 mph.
I used a worm on a wedding ring spinner. lots of bites. caught 4. 8" and 1 of 11" didnt keep them.
I left at about 2pm. the fish were there it was just too cold and windy to be much fun. next time I will dress warmer. it SHOULD NOT BE THIS COLD ON MAY 21 !!!!!

G
#4 ·
We didn’t get to the lake until 10:45am . The fishing wasn’t has fast and furious as last Friday but we did have some excitement. The water temp was 60. We were trolling and I had bites but no takers for maybe the first hour but Adam got one on in about 20 minutes but his line was way out. He was reeling it in and the fish wasn’t fighting much. It slid to the top of the water so we could see that it was indeed there. All of a sudden a hawk swooped down to get that fish. It got its talons on the trout and Adams reel started to scream as it flies away with the fish. Adam started reeling to get it back and the fish slides back toward us dropping into the water. We kept an eye on those birds the rest of the day. They were 5 fish hawks total and 1 eagle we saw. It was fun to watch them dive for the fish, just as long as they were not after our fish.
I caught my first kokanee’s today. Adam caught the first fish but I caught the most today. He did hook a very nice large trout that I think was equal to the one yesterday from Lake Whitman but it got off right at the boat. I used most of the time the Salmon Roe Z-Ray and Adam used the Zak worm spinner. The sad part of today was that I failed to check my line after catching all these fish and I casted out that Z-Ray but my line stayed with me in the boat and the lure went to the bottom.
I used a bait hook, small split shot with a little bit of prawn and worm on it for the rest of the time we were there. It was about an hour. We hung out around the ramp casting and retrieving. We left around 3:00pm. There were only a few boats out while we were there. It was windy and cold for almost the whole time we were there.

G
#5 ·
We were in the water by 1pm. Fishing was slower than last week. We couldn’t seem to find the right lure. I caught 4 on pieces of shrimp. The water temperature was 60. The sun only came out for a short time otherwise it was cloudy but no showers. We left at 3:30pm.

G
#6 ·
Today the target was Kokanee! I brought my arsenal (very little at this time) for this species of fish. I trolled and trolled and trolled some more. I used a ½ to 1 oz. egg weight (big) and then this spinner thing and a wedding ring I made. The first fish I caught was a rainbow that was released. I conquered and captured 2 of the target species. I had a lot of hook-ups with out getting them all the way to the boat. Then I was getting bored and started taking pictures of my reel and pole when it was “fish on”. As it fought I thought “this is a bigger fish”. It was a 14.75 inch one pound rainbow. That was it for the day. I had bites but nothing in the boat. I took the temp in the shallower part of the lake and it was 62. I had bites trolling a black fly attached to my main line with a swivel. I came home with 3 fish after fishing 9:15am to 2:45pm.

G
#7 ·
I got to the lake around 4pm and left close to 8pm. I hooked and landed 3 kokanee’s using a new Wittman Z-Ray, the color is salmon roe. Since I lost my other small one I haven’t done as well so I ordered some again from Wittman Lures in Az. The lures they sent said salmon roe but they weren’t the same color as the other big one I have or the one I lost. These new ones were slightly redder. I thought they might have made a mistake so I emailed asking about the color and I got a call back from them. They have a vender that paints them and he went to a store looked at the salmon roe and made it his paint redder. So I took one fishing tonight (yes, I ordered more than one) to see if I get the same result. I casted it out and started to troll and “fish on”. Yes that quick. It jumped and was off. I had tried trolling with a Z-Tiny Troll and wedding ring but without any bites then I switched to the Z-Ray. First fish caught on the Z-Ray was 5:05 pm. The bite died down around 7 and I switched to shrimp on a bait hook and got a rainbow. It was windy and cold-no rain. I was really cold. The water temp was 58 degrees.

G
#8 ·
It was a last minute decision Adam and I made to go fishing since I had to work at 3. We got to the lake after 10am and I pushed it to the limit at leaving after 1pm. I wanted to get home and cook the catch. I got 4 and Adam got 2. I used the salmon roe Z-Ray and Adam used a Kokanee Hustler from Zak Tackle (I think that was the name of it). He had bites that didn't hook up and so did I but I had a few get off after jumping. One unhooked right at the boat. We trolled along the west end of the lake until about mid way and then headed east then turning north about 2/3 of the length of the lake finishing going north to the ramp area to start over again. It was calm to start out with. The showers came and went before the wind started a little after 12. It got real choppy. I didn’t get a water temperature.

G
#9 ·
Back out on the lake for the 25th April opener. We were trolling with floating Rapalas by 6AM. Started out slow but by the time we made it to the opposite side of the lake from the ramp we were in the fish. Ended up keeping 14 fish including 2 large triploids and a jumbo. My daughter Mariah almost landed a hawk. The hawk swooped down and grabbed her large, silver Rapala which she was trolling with. The hawk carried the Rapala about 20 feet into the air before dropping it! I wonder what the limit is for hawks? We were off the lake by 9AM, excellent day of fishing.

G
#11 ·
It rained, it hailed, and the wind blew but I caught lots of fish. The best fishing was as it was hailing. It was sunny for short periods of time. I trolled all of the time with many different things and most of the fish were caught without any weight, so they were close to the top. I caught several kokanee in with the rainbows, nothing too big. I got to the lake close to 8:30am and left about 12:30. Good day fishing except when the fish in my basket escaped.

G
#14 ·
So I have mixed feelings about Clear Lake today, SLOW fishing there today! Lost 2 due to a poor set in the hook. Although the 1 I got was 13 inches! ;} Kelly hit his limit, he even got a Kokanee. Jake took home 3. All my post are from a dock on the south side of the lake! We use Power eggs, pick a color!

G
#15 ·
Today, my day off, I was getting ready to go fishing but at 8:30am I get a call to come to work. At time and a half I said yes. I don’t have to be there until 12. I still have time to go. I am fishing by 9:15am. Out at 10:15am. Caught at least 5 trout in that hour and kept the big one for dinner 14 inches. All on flies. No kokanees.

G
#16 ·
We hit the lake late today, got there about 2:00pm, but just like clock work I got a hit a fish within 5 minutes. useing the same as always, done caught our limit, but came home with 9 total between 2 people. alot of C&R. could of came home with all 10 but threew to many back, cause the bite wa so good. Then a big black cloud came and casted it's shadow of darkness apound the lake and the fish were no longer biting, so we left. Towards the end I got tired of using eggs, so I switched Rooster tails, And they still hit. I used darn near every colar I had I had at the least fish following my tails. I LOVE THIS LAKE!

G
#17 ·
I got on the water about 9:30am and it took about 10 or 15 minutes to get my first trout. I left around 5. I tried all the spinners from the swap. I found the spinners weren’t very productive today. I did catch a kokanee with mine on the downrigger. I have an issue with the clip not releasing. I saw the rod start to bounce a little and the fish was there.

I caught so many fish I truly don’t know how many but I believe it is close to 50. When I was younger and could remember better I fished Silver Lake and I caught 40. I used the same strategy that I used today. Flies.
I used flies( mostly olive wooly buggers) trolled with just the swivel or a small split shot weight from my ultra light spinning outfit with 4 pound test mono main line and 2 or 4 pound test leader.
I have the 2 rod endorsement and I must have had 4 or 5 doubles on. Or I would slow the boat down to get one fish in and then the other rod would have a fish. I went through 5 flies. 2 fish still have my flies because I didn’t think to change the leader after so many fish and the leader broke. The other flies were just worn out. It was an amazing day. I released all but 3. I kept the kokanee and the 2 largest rainbows of which one was about 15.25 inches and over a pound.

G
#18 ·
I am tired so this report is short. I was at the lake from approximately 8am - 3pm. I caught so many trout I can't keep tract, at least 6 times over. I usually lose tract some where after 5.
It was sunny and warm. Not to much boat traffic. I used mostly flies but did use my down rigger with my spinner and I caught at least 10 using it. Only 1 kokanee today.
Great day catching!

G
#19 ·
I rushed home after work to get ready because my 4 year old granddaughter and I were going fishing. She told me early in the day that she was my fisher girl. We got to the lake just after 6pm. gave a wave to FISHINROB and even swung by my next door neighbor who had his families limits (there were three of them). Granddaughter Zoe had a fish on her Dora pole so I am telling her to reel the handle. She does and it is like a whale for her. But it gets off before it gets in the boat. She doesn’t want to fish after that. She decided it was snack time. Later she continues fishing and has another trout on and as it gets to the boat she won’t reel it and covers her eyes... I think it may have been me teasing her about whacking her in the face with it. It was a good time since my oldest son came, too. We all caught fish in the hour and half we were there. We used spinners, flies, and wedding rings with worms. All the fish we caught were planter rainbows that we released after catching.

G
#20 ·
After having to leave last night my son and I planned on getting up and going fishing before I had to go to work and that is what we did. The fishing wasn’t as good as it has been but it wasn’t bad either. My son caught the first fish which he announced to me. We trolled around the lake one time in 2 ½ hours. Although we did circle around a few small areas before moving on. We tried one area for bass. I caught one small lmb on a fly as I was trolling by. I released it to spawn. I caught one small rock bass on a worm (released). We caught several trout of which I kept 2. We didn’t get any kokes. We used flies, spinners, fake worms, and wedding ring type lures with a real nightcrawler cut in half.

G
#21 ·
Hit clear again yesturday. We hit our limit of rainbows. There was 2 of us, on the dock as always. Alot of small ones to release. Not as good as normal, but was still fun like normal!-------------------<>{

G
#22 ·
I was on the water for 5 hours, from 2-7pm with my brother. The water temperature was 58 degrees. The weather was cloudy with showers and, of course, I forgot my raincoat. We changed up many times trying to get the right combo. We trolled flies and spinners. I hooked 2 koke’s one was very small so I released it. The fishing was slower than last weekend. We did catch our limits worth plus some more. I got a small bass and a perch when using worms.

G
#23 ·
I fished from 12:30 until 6:30pm hooking and releasing around 20 rainbows. No kokes today. I got the best results on the bead headed black woolly bugger. One trout I caught was 15 inches and about a pound and a half. I got it home and clean it. In its body cavity was this green smelly stuff. It was not in the stomach but in the cavity floating around. I cleaned it out and soaked it in water but the fish still smelled like it. I wonder if it had a leak in the intestines.
Since I brought my rain jacket there was only 2 small showers but the wind came up toward the end of my time on the lake. It made it hard to steer and I used up the battery juice.

G
#25 ·
I got a bit of a late start today, around 10:30am and finished about 4:30pm. It was cloudy all day with mirror wind. It took almost an hour to get my first rainbow. I tried for kokanees but I only got 2. One I released as it was only about 6 inches. It was one of those days that you had to try everything in order to catch something. I kept the one koke and one 14 inch rainbow. Total for today were 2 kokes, 3 bass (2 rock, 1 largemouth all small), 2 perch (small) and around 15 rainbows. My flies didn’t catch munch until after 2pm. Then the bead head black woolly bugger was what they liked. The kokes were caught on wedding rings.

G
#24 ·
Well i hit clear and there was nothing there.
Fished for 7 hours!
No bass, perch, catfish, and best of all--kokanee and trout!
Wouldn't recommend this lake at all.
I am gonna hit tanwax or kapowsin where things are really happening!

G
#26 ·
Was at Clear Lake Pierce County for the first time this year. Between hubby and me we caught and released about 50 rainbows. Had a great day. Started a little wet but dried out. Never did warm up. I had the best luck on a beaded woolly bugger(sp). Not sure of exact names of things. Hubby tried everything, got the largest rainbow and possibly a brown, on one with a propeller.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.