Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for those of you that paint your own jig heads. I paint mine with powder coat. Seems to be fairly popular among us. How do you go about cleaning the paint out of the jig eye?

I use an eye buster tool, then I use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove what paint is on the sides and outer edge. I finish it all up with a small wire brush on a Dremel. This is a rather painstaking and time consuming procedure. Although it does a good job.

I'm looking for ways to do this in less time with less hassle. How do you guys do it? :?:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Ater dipping I just use an Eye buster also. Then I run a peice of wire that is slightly smaller than the hook eye through and call it good I never have noticed any sharp edges or anything that would create any problems.The last batch I did I used some round tooth pics in the hook eyes before I dipped but they did not want to stay in place whole. I think the next time around I will try cutting the tooth pics in half and see how it goes.I picked up a fluid bed from Guppy trainer the other day, after I get everything dialed in I will be getting a better quality powder paint job or thats the plan anyway.Now if I could find some quality jig heads with the right size hooks I would be set for this winter. Hopefully I will be set up to pour my own by next winter. :D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Same issue when I started doing jigs, I use vinyl paint vs powder coating so when I paint it on takes about 3 swipes and usually do not have any in the eye. Running a line or thin wire through them when drying like mentioned works good also. Good luck Tup:

·
Registered
869 Posts
A small brass wire brush does well.
A fluid bed makes it a bit easier also, not so thick.

Searanger if you need jigs give me call we can get the right stuff for you.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Of course I know to clean them out before baking. Sounds like you guys don't worry about paint left around the outside of the eye abrading the line in your knot. That makes me nervous. You have never broken off a fish with that extra paint on there?
What is a fluid bed? Haven't heard of those before now. Where are they available to have a look at? Thanx guys.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
No need to worry about a little lower paint shards as long as 3/4 of the eye is clean and is clean where you tie the knot.

I peel it loose with needle nose and then poke a hole with an old hook and BAM, done. FISH ON!!!!!!! Tup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Tape off the eye of the jig with a small piece of masking tape. The tape gets burned a little bit, but stays in tack. I heat the jig with the eye taped off in a toaster oven just warm enough to get light powder coverage, not so hot that the powder paint melts. Take the masking tape off and put back into the toaster oven 10 minutes to melt to a glossy finish.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.