Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between my wife and I we have 3 adult kids with families of their own and 2 teenagers that live with us for a total of 8 kids and 6 grandkids.

My oldest kids hadn’t been clamming for several years and their kids (my grandkids) had never been so last year we met them at Copalis for the spring dig and had a blast.

This Thanksgiving weekend, we decided to have the family dinner at Copalis and introduce my wife’s oldest daughter and her family to clamming. They became hooked so we agreed to do at least one family clamming trip a year. This Christmas, Santa brought new clam tubes and clam bags to everyone who didn’t have one. The kids couldn’t wait to try out their new stuff so we went clamming over the weekend (report in the fish forum).

A few of years ago I bought a stainless steel clam shovel; I polished it on my buffer so it looks like chrome and I named it “Clambo� and stamped it on the blade. My wife uses a clam tube and calls it the “Coug Clama Jama�. I told the kids and grandkids they had to name their clam tubes and write the name on them so we could tell them apart. Here’s what they came up with: “Clamzilla�, “Clamkilla� “Clamtastic�, “Claminator�, “Razor Raider�, “Razor Reaper�, “El Clamo Whamo�, “Limiteer�, “Top Gun� and “Clamityville Horror� (appropriately named because this person’s clams usually look like they came from the razor clam chamber of horrors). “Big Bore Clam Whore� got voted out by the Mom’s.

The step daughter’s boyfriend didn’t come up with a name… he’s a Cowboys fan and was trying to cleverly tie the Cowboys to clams. He only got one clam the first time he tried so my oldest grand daughter told him he should name his “Uno� Saturday he only got one clam again so, regardless of what he comes up with, the name stuck.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SportJet said:
good to hear families having fun together Tup:
Both my wife and I have kids from previous marriages and there were some ugly times family-wise 12 years ago when divorce(s) and remarriage tore apart our families. But time heals all wounds and now, not only do the kids from each family get along with both of us parents, the kids get along with each other too. It used to be to get everyone together for Christmas was a major struggle and not much fun; now we get everyone together several times a year and really enjoy it.

The kids are already planning for the next clam dig weekend and for the first time ever we are planning a combined family 4-day summer camping trip. With us, the kids, significant others and grandkids we number 16 so it takes an effort to coordinate everyone’s schedules especially scheduling around jobs, school, sports, cheer, motorcycle racing, WDFW season setting, etc.

In my wife’s family, and her previous marriage, the men of the family were the outdoor types while the women and children stayed at home so I’ve been fortunate enough to be able to teach a whole new batch to enjoy clamming, crabbing, fishing, boating, camping, etc. And… the only thing cooler than being able to take your kids and step kids out to play is being able to take your grandkids too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts