Game Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a write I did for another forum, thought i would like to share it here.

Are you tired of the same old steamed king crab dipped in butter and cocktail sauce? You can try something different with this chinese style steamed king crab legs topped with cilantro, onions, and garlic! It's an easy dish but preparing the crab takes the most work, you can opt the easier way with fresh butchered crab or the frozen variety. Usually one crab will feed 2 people, I can eat one crab by myself, it depends on your appetite.

Start with the crabs!

Tools:
Sharp Butchers knife
Strong pair of cutting shears
Wok or Steamer
Tray that will fit into Wok or Steamer
Something to hold up the tray

Ingredients

1 live alaskan king crab, or enough frozen legs to make up 1 crab
2 strands of green onions
Half bush of cilantro
Half-head of garlic
3 tsp Light soy bean oil
4 tsp Light Soy Sauce
1 tsp White pepper powder
1tsp Salt
1tsp Suger

Directions:

-When purchasing a live king crab at your local seafood market the fish monger can have it cleaned and chopped up for you for a little extra cost, leaving you with all the legs and body meat. Or you can do it yourself: (use the knife and shears to cut up the body), rinse and wash entire crab, remove head, clean out all internals, snip the tips off the legs, cut legs off, cut body into quarters. Just like how you would chop and clean a dungeness, only a bigger mess.

-After you have cut off the legs, hack them in two sections with knife. Take knife and slowly half each leg. Do the same with the claws, you can hack the body meat pieces in half if you prefer it.

Remember to hack slowly!

-You can save the head if you want for garnish.

-Dice cilantro, green onions, and garlic to small pieces. Put all three in mixing bowl, pour in the salt, sugar, soy bean oil, soy sauce, white pepper, use hand and mix it all up.

-Place all the crab pieces on a tray, spread them out if you want to. Pour mixture over crabs.

-Turn the stove to a medium high, put water into your wok or steamer. Wait until the water is boiling. Place the tray of crab in and wait for about 15 minutes until done.

And Vola! You have Chinese Steamed King Crab Tup: This dish will run you $100 at the Chinese restaurants.

Next time, Chinese Style Geoduck!

·
Registered
4,625 Posts
That looks good. It also is a pretty dish when it is finished.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many of the asian seafood markets will carry them for a limited time, i was at Lucky Seafood today(located on Beacon Hill) and saw these crabs on sale for 9.99/lb, compared to whole foods frozen legs and claws for 18.99lb. I think uwajimaya in chinatown might carry them. My best bet is Lucky Seafood: (206) 324-5182
3217 Beacon Ave S
Seattle, WA.

from time to time they get some good stuff at great prices. Best to always phone ahead of time.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Robert

I'm not a King Crab fan, but what do you suggest for Dungeness crab?

I once worked Italian and am pretty good at putting a good meal together.

This is only a question. Not a challenge.

I'm not trained in culinary arts.

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
robert,thanks for the reply,uwajimaya is one of my fav stores.that crab dish really looks good.thanks for posting.hope you do some more.

·
Super Moderator
1,972 Posts
I've gotta try this. I'm getting a bunch of freshly caught opie crab and a bunch of king crab from a friend this weekend. This will give a nice change of taste.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts